Singapore Expats Forum

PEP Query - please help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Garyhan

PEP Query - please help

Postby Garyhan » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 6:34 am

Hi all,

I'm based in Ireland and am interested in relocating to Singapore. Following some research and based on my personal situation I think that the PEP is my best option and I appear to meet the eligibility requirements.
However although the MOM website states that PEP applications can be submitted by overseas applicants the application form specifies that you must have a Singapore address for correspondence and states that it should be submitted and payment made at a SingPost branch!
Given where I'm based flying back and forth to Singapore to organise this isn't really an option (even if I could afford it) so it appears that my only real option, as I don't have friends or family living in Singapore, is to go through an agent? Am I right in saying this or is there another way of applying?
If not does anyone have any recommendations on agents to use?
Also although the MOM website makes it sounds like the application process is a bit of a formality some of the comments on this website suggest that not a lot of these were being issued back in 2010 - do you know if this is still the case? Any on-the-ground info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Gary.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: PEP Query - please help

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 9:02 am

Garyhan wrote:Hi all,

I'm based in Ireland and am interested in relocating to Singapore. Following some research and based on my personal situation I think that the PEP is my best option and I appear to meet the eligibility requirements.
However although the MOM website states that PEP applications can be submitted by overseas applicants the application form specifies that you must have a Singapore address for correspondence and states that it should be submitted and payment made at a SingPost branch!
Given where I'm based flying back and forth to Singapore to organise this isn't really an option (even if I could afford it) so it appears that my only real option, as I don't have friends or family living in Singapore, is to go through an agent? Am I right in saying this or is there another way of applying?
If not does anyone have any recommendations on agents to use?
Also although the MOM website makes it sounds like the application process is a bit of a formality some of the comments on this website suggest that not a lot of these were being issued back in 2010 - do you know if this is still the case? Any on-the-ground info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Gary.

There were some of our friends in this forum who were helping to submit the application in Singapore on behalf of applicants abroad, just for the reason of courtesy.

If you go to any agent for PEP application they would charge you between 1k-2k SGD.

Wait for SMS, StrongEagle to reply for this message.

Garyhan

Postby Garyhan » Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:35 am

Thanks singaporeflyer, will do.

Garyhan

PEP Query - please help

Postby Garyhan » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 7:18 am

Just wondering if anyone else can help me with my query? Thanks.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 8:56 pm

Read the related threads on this forum, where this was discussed recently.
Then you'll also understand why nobody answers and why you need to pay.

Strong Eagle

Re: PEP Query - please help

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:16 pm

Garyhan wrote:Just wondering if anyone else can help me with my query? Thanks.

Who are you? What kind of a job are you trying to get? What is your character? What recommends you to me? Why should I help?

Travelguy

PEP Arrival Process

Postby Travelguy » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 6:09 pm

Hello all, I'm new to posting on the forum.

Here's my question.

I've applied for my PEP, and it's been approved in principle. I've received the AIP letter, I even have managed to secure a job offer in Singapore.

The challenge comes with the instructions on the MOM website seem to evade the answers to these questions.

Pass collection:
I need to schedule an appointment to deliver original proof documents and collect pass etc. But it says I need to be in singapore before making this appointment. I hope to arrive only a few days before starting work due so I'd like to get this as far along as possible before my arrival.

Air ticket:
Can I come in on a one way ticket with my AIP letter and Letter of offer?
My current job will relocate me to my next destination (singapore) but would only purchase one way fare.

Thank you again
Wen life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Re: PEP Arrival Process

Postby nutnut » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 7:15 pm

Travelguy wrote:Air ticket:
My current job will relocate me to my next destination (singapore) but would only purchase one way fare.

I did with no issue! also, you can work with the IPA letter until you collect the PEP/EP from the EPEC office.
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 8:02 pm

You can also almost always schedule next day appointments with MOM at the EPSC.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you again

If you are from some asian countries, you may be barred from leaving, at your point of departure, as per their immigration rules

if not, you are good to go, on a one-way ticket

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Thank you again

If you are from some asian countries, you may be barred from leaving, at your point of departure, as per their immigration rules

if not, you are good to go, on a one-way ticket

If you have an IPA which shows you are going to work there, then I think a one way ticket is enough to prove at the point of departure?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:45 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:If you have an IPA which shows you are going to work there, then I think a one way ticket is enough to prove at the point of departure?

As I said, for some countries, where approval letter is still considered as an approval letter - the pass isn't released yet right ? will the pass be not issued ? debatable, as, stuff like failing the medical can mean to the pass may not be issued - that's for an example. So get a return ticket, says the Immigration officers. And so would the prudent airline, lest they fly the pax FOC back to base.

Any amount of trying to talk will make you look like you are talking to a tree.

Now, Travelguy didn't say where he is flying in from, so until he says it, I would hold my breath

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:58 pm

A couple of countries which would ask for return tickets: Pakistan and the Philippines

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:49 am

ecureilx wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:If you have an IPA which shows you are going to work there, then I think a one way ticket is enough to prove at the point of departure?

As I said, for some countries, where approval letter is still considered as an approval letter - the pass isn't released yet right ? will the pass be not issued ? debatable, as, stuff like failing the medical can mean to the pass may not be issued - that's for an example. So get a return ticket, says the Immigration officers. And so would the prudent airline, lest they fly the pax FOC back to base.

You enter SG with an IPA, and say 21 days later take the medical for your visa based upon which you happen to fail at the issuance stage.

Why does the airline that flew you there on a single ticket have any responsibility or liability for anything?

Travelguy

Postby Travelguy » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 2:46 am

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I'm arriving from the US, but will be flying through UK and onward to Singapore.

I've never had issues being hassled for departure tickets on previous trips, But those trips have always been for vacation purposes and I usually have my return ticket with me.

Ideally I will try to get my company to book a return if there's no price difference, but it's usually principle and liability causing them to book a one way ticket.

Any advice on making the appointment? Should I wait till I land in Singapore to make the appointment. Or is there a way to book this in advance.
Wen life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.