Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:47 am

Hello everyone. I am a Malaysian citizen and planning to move and search for a better career opportunities in Singapore this coming February. I only hold a secondary certificate ( SPM level ) but have at least 8 years of working experience in admin and customer service field here in Malaysia.
I would appreciate if anyone would help me with my questions below:-

1) What do i tell to the Singapore Immigration about my stay and job search in Singapore? ( obviously i have to state how long will i be staying on the white card )
2) Is it possible for me to rent a common room with my foreign documentations?
3) Should i apply a short term visit pass at MOM's website online first?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Re: Moving to Singapore

Post by beppi » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 7:15 pm

fizz85 wrote:Hello everyone. I am a Malaysian citizen and planning to move and search for a better career opportunities in Singapore this coming February. I only hold a secondary certificate ( SPM level ) but have at least 8 years of working experience in admin and customer service field here in Malaysia.

1) What do i tell to the Singapore Immigration about my stay and job search in Singapore? ( obviously i have to state how long will i be staying on the white card )
Without degree, your chances of being allowed to work in Singapore are low (unless you qualify for a PEP).
1. You can come on a normal visit (I believe Malaysians get 90 days on arrival) - job search is allowed on this (but not work).
2. No, you need a residence visa above 6 months to rent anything.
3. See 1.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 8:26 pm

If you are willing to work for 1000~1100/mo on a work permit, yeah, you can find a job here still. Not as easy, but doable.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fizz85

Re: Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:27 pm

beppi wrote:
fizz85 wrote:Hello everyone. I am a Malaysian citizen and planning to move and search for a better career opportunities in Singapore this coming February. I only hold a secondary certificate ( SPM level ) but have at least 8 years of working experience in admin and customer service field here in Malaysia.

Without degree, your chances of being allowed to work in Singapore are low (unless you qualify for a PEP).
1. You can come on a normal visit (I believe Malaysians get 90 days on arrival) - job search is allowed on this (but not work).
2. No, you need a residence visa above 6 months to rent anything.
3. See 1.

Thank you for the information above. From your personal opinion, would u recommend me to pursue my career seeking in Singapore?

fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are willing to work for 1000~1100/mo on a work permit, yeah, you can find a job here still. Not as easy, but doable.
Do u think i as a Malaysian Citizen can do 2 jobs in Singapore? :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:43 pm

No you're only allowed to work on ONE job for only ONE employer. Doing any other work out of your designated employment is an offence to law.

Should read up more in MOM website.
http://mom.gov.sg/Pages/default.aspx

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:44 pm

All work visa are tied to ONE employer and it is illegal to work for any other.

fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:02 am

Thank you so much guys for the useful information. I guess i really need to consider my plans. :(

fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:02 pm

Hey there guys. Sorry to bother once again. U mention above that i cant rent anything until i have a residence visa after six months. My questions are:

a) What type of terms of place is it possible for me to rent (besides hotels) during the 6 months period?
b) How do i apply for the residence visa?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 1:13 pm

Basically the moment you have a work visa, PR etc (or work pass, they may call it) you can rent. You don't have to wait until 6 months of owning that to rent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 1:25 pm

You need a employment visa that is valid for at least 6 months. e.g., S & EP's are usually granted for 12 to 24 months. You don't need to have been here 6 months before you can rent.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Tue, 10 Jan 2012 7:32 pm

Ok, that is a relief. :D
Thank you again. Appreciate it so much. :)

Sir

Post by Sir » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:40 pm

quite a few malaysians will love in JB and commute into singapore each morning.

the singapore $ goes a very long way when converted to Ringitt, and living is unbeleivably cheap in malaysia as well.

Getting a car wil cost an arm and a leg tho, you better be prepared to handle a long commute.

You can get a special pass for the border if you do it every day, I think this is only for Malaysians tho.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 3:28 pm

Sir wrote:quite a few malaysians will love in JB and commute into singapore each morning.

the singapore $ goes a very long way when converted to Ringitt, and living is unbeleivably cheap in malaysia as well.

Getting a car wil cost an arm and a leg tho, you better be prepared to handle a long commute.

You can get a special pass for the border if you do it every day, I think this is only for Malaysians tho.
REALLY ????
Please tell me all the above in details coz I want to do it
Pleasssssssssse
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

fizz85

Moving to Singapore

Post by fizz85 » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 6:53 pm

A friend of mine whom is a singaporean, rented a room with her documentation and finally decided to let me (malaysian) stay instead. Is dat consider illegal?