Singapore Expats

PR application profile

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kramax

PR application profile

Post by kramax » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:09 am

Dear all -

Profile as follows

- Role: Senior Management, MNC
- Salary: 18k/month
- Education: M.Sc.
- Nationality: European
- PEP since early 2011

Wife:
- Role: will start a Engineer job in 2012
- Education: B.Sc., university listed by MoM
- Nationality: SE Asia
- Currently under PEP DP, will be working under LoC or Q Pass (which one is preferable btw?)

2 children (including 1 boy)

In Singapore since mid 2010.

Planning to apply for PR around March 2012

Thoughts and chances?

Thanks and keep up the good work
Last edited by kramax on Sat, 02 Mar 2013 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:35 am

Possible.

But only if applying for whole family. How old are the children? If school age, they should be in a local school as if they are in an International School, it might send the wrong signals to ICA. If they are still too young for school, then it's a moot point. Better after three years, but with your salary level, depending on your industry, I think they would be interested to keep you here.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If they reject this time, but don't specifically give you the "you are welcome to stay and work here...... reason" don't take it to heart, but accept the fact that they actually say three years tax records, so must wait a little longer. (This will also show "staying" power as well). They are looking for reasons to reject so acting in spite will just reinforce their justification for rejection in the first instance.

Go for it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kramax

Post by kramax » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:13 am

Thanks SMS

Planning to apply for whole family indeed. Children are 9 and 5, for now in International School. Industry is telecommunications.

Meanwhile, btw, LoC under PEP DP or Q pass - which way is advisable for the wife for her upcoming job?

Season's greetings and happy new year

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:07 pm

kramax wrote:Thanks SMS

Planning to apply for whole family indeed. Children are 9 and 5, for now in International School. Industry is telecommunications.

Meanwhile, btw, LoC under PEP DP or Q pass - which way is advisable for the wife for her upcoming job?

Season's greetings and happy new year
As the industry is close to the gahmen's heart, I would think you would be a desirable commodity. The children in International Schools might be a concern though, but again, whether it's advisable to pull them out at the moment is another kettle of fish as well. Might have to play that by ear should the question arise.

The wife. Q pass is best always as the EP is not dependent on your EP/PEP. The LoC is dependent on you having a valid EP. The LoC expires and is renewed on the same date as your PEP. As you ARE on a PEP, once it runs out, both passes expire and unless you can get back on an EP or have PR, then both are out of a job. However, sometimes, the LoC can be the easiest way to get a position if the employer understands what it is and how easy it is to obtain - sometimes the applicant has to educate the employer about LoCs. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kramax

Post by kramax » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:06 pm

Just wanted to give an update to the community here:

Applied in September 2012

Status recently updated to "Approved" in iEnquiry

How long typically does it take before we receive the official paperwork?

Thanks for the very good information everyone provided on this forum, it's been very useful.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

kenza

Post by kenza » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:06 pm

Congrats! Just 5 mths to get approval consider as fast.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:33 pm

Congratulations! In my case the paperwork came though within a few days of the approval status showing online. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Do take the time to carefully read all the instructions and have all the forms 100% completed when you all go in to complete the formalities. For example, photo specs need to be accurately followed otherwise you'll end up having to queue up at the photo service in the ICA building and then wait your turn again to get everything finished.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 2:03 pm

kramax, congratulations. I guess it was worth the wait, yeah? Now you can breath a little easier. ;-)

MrBear
Regular
Regular

Post by MrBear » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 3:09 pm

kramax wrote:Just wanted to give an update to the community here:

Applied in September 2012

Status recently updated to "Approved" in iEnquiry

How long typically does it take before we receive the official paperwork?

Thanks for the very good information everyone provided on this forum, it's been very useful.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
Congrats,

I put my wife and my application around the same time and have been sitting and waiting...

mine is 5 months to the day tomorrow..
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

adyoung2

Post by adyoung2 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 3:14 pm

My PR application (sponsored by Singaporean wife) was approved after exactly 5 months as well.
The paperwork was dated 5 months to the day of my application with ICA, and received about a day or two later.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 5:59 pm

Conclusion: YMMV; no point in worrying about it, just wait patiently and all will be revealed in due course.
Be careful what you wish for

kramax

Post by kramax » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 1:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:kramax, congratulations. I guess it was worth the wait, yeah? Now you can breath a little easier. ;-)
Thanks SMS and all.

Received the confirmation letter just a couple of days after the online status update.
Booked an e-appointment and went to ICA to complete the paperwork a week later. As advised, we were well prepared with all the required data. Very nice and polite officer, all went well.
Blue IC collection scheduled only 1 month from now, as there was no other slot available on e-appointment. Is that normal? Can we go there anyway in 1 week or so and queue?

Looking back at the path travelled, a few pointers:

- Retrospectively, waiting was the right thing to do (planned to apply in March, applied in September) as had more tax payments, more salary slips for the wife etc
- Preparation was essential: I provided all the details required in the application - to the letter - but also provided upfront additional documentation based on the experience shared on this forum: cover letter, resumes of the extended family members (parents, siblings, in-laws). They did come back 2 months after the application asking a couple of questions on the wife's family (family book) but nothing really difficult and the answers were straightforward.