Singapore Expats Forum

Salary Package

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Joy123

Salary Package

Postby Joy123 » Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:03 pm

Hi

I have just been offered by a Singapore based research institute. Before I discuss anything with HR, I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. So any suggestions would be really helpful to me. I have a PhD in Chemistry and I'm right now in USA doing postdoctoral research.

This is a position of Senior Research Associate and the offer goes like this: total annual package: SGD 81 K
Basic monthly: 51K+75% Housing (only for the first year of contract) +Airpassage for my family+Settling in Allowance +Dental+Flexi benfits+Bonus=Total $81K

I have no idea how good this offer is. Do you guys think SGD $ 51K/year (basic) is good enough to live well in SG?

What does "13th month prorated" means? What is a flexi benefits and combined insurance programme? How good these things are?

Thank you so much for taking time to read my message and answer my questions. I'm really grateful to you guys for your help.

Joy

tywong

Salary Package

Postby tywong » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 1:40 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
In Singapore, the Annual income
=12 months * Monthly income + AWS

Where AWS (Annual Wages Supplement)
=1 * Monthly Income * (no of months in service/12)
AWS is on pro-rated basis, & it's normally given at the end of the year, Dec.

if you join the company from Apr, then your AWS
=(12-3)/12 * Monthly income
=75% of Monthly income

Assuming you are joining on Jan2005
So 51k/13 ~3.9k/month

3.9k/month should be good enough for a Single person.
It greatly depend your & your families' lifestyle to judge whether it's enough.
I'm afraid you have to stay in HDB and take public transport.

3.9k/month is a fair value with your kind of experience (fresh grad with ~1 year exp, am i right??).

chemistry123

Re: Salary Package

Postby chemistry123 » Sun, 30 Jan 2005 5:15 am

Hi Joy,

Which institute are you going to work for ?
I am curious coz i will be working for
ICES

Joy123 wrote:Hi

I have just been offered by a Singapore based research institute. Before I discuss anything with HR, I was wondering if I could get some help from you guys. So any suggestions would be really helpful to me. I have a PhD in Chemistry and I'm right now in USA doing postdoctoral research.

This is a position of Senior Research Associate and the offer goes like this: total annual package: SGD 81 K
Basic monthly: 51K+75% Housing (only for the first year of contract) +Airpassage for my family+Settling in Allowance +Dental+Flexi benfits+Bonus=Total $81K

I have no idea how good this offer is. Do you guys think SGD $ 51K/year (basic) is good enough to live well in SG?

What does "13th month prorated" means? What is a flexi benefits and combined insurance programme? How good these things are?

Thank you so much for taking time to read my message and answer my questions. I'm really grateful to you guys for your help.

Joy