Singapore Expats

In need of advice for Job search for wife

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
mickey4finger

In need of advice for Job search for wife

Post by mickey4finger » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:15 am

hi all,

we relocated to Singapore a while ago for my work and my wife is in search of a job because she resigned back home.
(cosmetics and media background, communications studie)

We didn't expect it would be fixed within a few weeks but the experience so even worse then that.

Are there any good recruitment agencies in Singapore? or are they ALL absolutely not pro active and thinking out of the box
(drop the fun notes that it's typical Singaporean blablabla ;-))

Back in Europe, when you reach out to a agency with a interesting profile, they take you in file and represent you to potential employers, and try to find a opportunity. we haven't found even 1 agency who does that. most of them try to squeeze you in a open position they have in hands but is not a fit at all.
Is this just the way they work? and we have to accept that? or are they better ones?

Or should we drop recruitment agencies at all and....!?!

all recommendations are welcome, thanks

MOD NOTE: edited title just to clear some very possible confusion

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:22 pm

You've got nothing to lose by trying them all - just get your wife's CV out there with as many as you can connect to and play the numbers game.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:31 pm

Agencies in Singapore are body shops. The job seekers are produce. Produce has a short shelf life normally. A CV is good normally for around 3 months. As the law in Singapore only allows the Agencies to bill the Clients for the recruitment fees (The hiring company) they aren't interested in taking a CV and shopping it to various clients unless they have a position available. The company's here are no better, as when they DO have a position the shotgun the JD to dozens of agencies (non have an exclusive normally) therefore the name of the game is a quick glance through the database and fire off whatever is closest and hope one hits the mark. If you happen to hit the right consultant in an agency, you might get the kind of service you are looking for, but that is down to individual consultant level and not entire agency level. Recruitment here is a fast moving process and trying to shop a job seeker to companies that don't even have available position is counterproductive when speed is of the essence here.

It's one of the reasons why I no longer recruit in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jacy_10

Post by Jacy_10 » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 4:32 pm

Hmm I think recruit companies are not necessary ideal choices. Should try searching online job portals or on the newspaper? At least the response will be faster (In my opinion). Recruit companies just simply try to fit you into any positions they may have..even if it is not what you want. ):

But I do heard of good consultant companies. Can help you find out if you are interested.