Singapore Expats

My Taxi Revenge

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:22 pm

nakatago wrote:See my story above. Aside from him having GPS, me having GPS, "dun know how to get there."
then you must do the next trick - 'uncle, my friend say can call 1800-call-lta for help .. can I call them now ?? '

Never tried it, but guess that will work wonders ...

Actually don't waste complaining to the taxi operator, as, I am told the operator needs the driver .. and the driver always gets 'one more strike' .. unlike LTA which acts pretty fast

I know a guy who was from HK, who got hit with a 'flat fee of 50$' from Clark Quay Carlton hotel and he called LTA, and next day he says LTA called him back and said they will revoke the drivers license ... harsh measures .. but ..

evehow

Post by evehow » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:23 pm

I don't understand what's so difficult about giving directions. I work at the boondocks and some drivers are not quite sure how to get there. Very often giving general directions is sufficient (rattle off a series of road names).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:32 pm

evehow wrote:I don't understand what's so difficult about giving directions. I work at the boondocks and some drivers are not quite sure how to get there. Very often giving general directions is sufficient (rattle off a series of road names).
Yeah that's easy. Try it if you're going to your destination for the first time...

evehow

Post by evehow » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:34 pm

In which case it is in my interest to know the directions beforehand to avoid paying excessive taxi fare.

QED.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:35 pm

evehow wrote:I don't understand what's so difficult about giving directions. I work at the boondocks and some drivers are not quite sure how to get there. Very often giving general directions is sufficient (rattle off a series of road names).
errrr .. if I need to tell a driver, how to get from Airport to say, Hougang avenue 8, starting from "take PIE, exit at x, turn right at y .. " shouldn't I be in the driving seat ? oh wait, everybody in Singapore, foreigners and locals, must know how to give directions when going anywhere, including visiting friends, and of course, the taxi driver is poor guy he must not know how to drive to the destination ?

Well, taxi's must hang a board "If you know how to guide me to you destination / work place / customer site / delivery site - use my taxi .. or else dont .. "

Righ ?? :D :D

You are amusing, to say the least ..

tell me again, how often when you alight at the airport have you heard a driver saying "sure" when you say "hougang avenue 8" and how often they ask "you guide me can ?? "

Not funny ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:37 pm

evehow wrote:In which case it is in my interest to know the directions beforehand to avoid paying excessive taxi fare.

QED.
that used to be the excuse of taxi drivers before computerised billing .. and if you are worried about 1 $ or more of wrong charge due to a wrong turn, me says "DRIVE YOUR OWN CAR" :D

Are you a taxi driver by any chance ?? :P :P

a taxi friend writes in another forum, and he writes 'between hires' .. ha ha .. no kidding ..

evehow

Post by evehow » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:41 pm

And this is enough to rile you up? You must be bored living here.

No, I do not have to give directions down to the last street. Taxi drivers prefer passengers to direct them to avoid disputes. And unless the driver is a newly licensed one, telling them the main route (BKE, PIE etc) is usually sufficient. Most of them time they can connect the dots and figure out the turns themselves.

Some of them may have trouble in the housing estates and I do not blame them because I get confused too even as a Singaporean!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 3:59 pm

evehow wrote:And this is enough to rile you up? You must be bored living here.

No, I do not have to give directions down to the last street. Taxi drivers prefer passengers to direct them to avoid disputes. And unless the driver is a newly licensed one, telling them the main route (BKE, PIE etc) is usually sufficient. Most of them time they can connect the dots and figure out the turns themselves.

Some of them may have trouble in the housing estates and I do not blame them because I get confused too even as a Singaporean!
Me riled ? oh no .. and I don't get mad if the meter goes up by a $ or so, as you say you can save by 'giving directions' and I rather save the trouble of 'guiding' the driver .. and bored ?? No way .. with your types trying to defend something .. it is INTERESTING ..

Maybe you are lucky and smart enough that drivers don't need so much directions .. you lucky one ..

Ok, now, when i get out of the airport, I say "Hougang Avenue 8" what should I tell the driver next ? I am just curious as to your 'directions' vs .. saying "take me to hougang avenue 8" ..

Well, sometime ago, there was a local tv show about the same subject .. where the actress gets into a taxi and says "take me to Mediacorp" the driver goes "which way you want me to go "

The actress goes "surprise me .. "

The driver goes "which way you want me to surprise you ? PIE, BKE, KJE, CTE, AYE or any other way ?? "

Something is lost there right ? :) :)

Kayleen

Post by Kayleen » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 7:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Kayleen wrote:Yeah.. I seriously don't get them. Hey, they've got gps! Not that we are demanding for extra services that's beyond their duty hey, if they don't know how to get there and we don't too, shouldnt they be the one to make the efforts to help us be there instead of being rude and expect us to direct them ? :mad:
many years ago, the taxi drivers had this common gripe that passengers throw tantrum if the driver takes a different route .. but heck, as you say, those days are gone ..

But, sometimes it is better to let the driver go on his own way .. than get on our own nerves :D :D

Smile widely, or plug in your headsets, or act busy on your mobile .. :)
ya .. They can tell us politely that they are not so sure but can go by blah blah blah blah and check with us, yes? But they simply say, I don't know. Else, they can also ask us where we are going to before driving off and then tell us they don't know. Nowadays, I do my part, ask them if they know how to get there before driving off and get off the cab if they don't know how to. But I tell you, they are some very irritating fellas bananas whom will tell you halfway through the journey that they seem to lost their way. :cool:

Kayleen

Post by Kayleen » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 7:13 pm

evehow wrote:In which case it is in my interest to know the directions beforehand to avoid paying excessive taxi fare.

QED.
I get your point. But for people like me who can't drive and am a complete idiot in giving directions , how to tell him what pie kpe whatever blah blah? I really can't drive for nuts, precisely the reason why Im taking taxis so often... I'm generally alright in giving directions if I remember how to go there but what irkis that they turn very rude on you and blame you for not knowing how to reach there in the first place instead of humbly explaining to you.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 7:44 pm

Time for a bit of nostalgia :)

One thing I miss about London is that the cabbies are generally bloody amazing. Maybe they should institute something like the London cabbies exam 'The Knowledge' in SG? Hmmm maybe not, I can't really see that working!

:-|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowle ... _Knowledge

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 7:47 pm

JR8 wrote:Time for a bit of nostalgia :)

One thing I miss about London is that the cabbies are generally bloody amazing. Maybe they should institute something like the London cabbies exam 'The Knowledge' in SG? Hmmm maybe not, I can't really see that working!

:-|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowle ... _Knowledge
One can dream.

One can dream.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Kayleen

Post by Kayleen » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah.. Dream on

sanjivvohra
Regular
Regular

Post by sanjivvohra » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:04 pm

And that's the reason I leased a car!fed up with being stranded on the road late evening with every cabby asking where I wanted to go before saying he was "shift change". Budget went for a toss but aggravation reduced tremendously.
Sanjiv

Kayleen

Post by Kayleen » Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:25 pm

Exact sentiments.. That's also the reason why I'm picking up driving lessons now. Humph! :evil: