Singapore Expats Forum

Applying for PEP on a tourist Visa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Spwoida

Applying for PEP on a tourist Visa

Postby Spwoida » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:27 am

Hello All,

I am currently in Singapore looking for work as my partner works here. I am not eligible as a dependent so I have entered on a Tourist visa. I and am wondering if that will go against my application for a 'Personal Employment Pass'? I work as a TV Editor on a freelance basis. Any information relating to work permits for freelances would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Applying for PEP on a tourist Visa

Postby the lynx » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:32 am

Spwoida wrote:Any information relating to work permits for freelances

Hello there, I'm sorry but I doubt it is not possible for the above. All work passes are issued as per employers so no freelancing.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:38 am

If you are caught freelancing here you will be deported. Being deported will definitely have an adverse impact on your PEP application.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 2:42 pm

Even with a PEP you need to be "employed" and you are not allowed to engage in "entrepreneural activities". Not sure what that means, but I'm sure it includes freelancing - ie you submit a quote for work along with others before employment commences and employment is of a limited short term nature.

Your best option without a DP would probably be to register a business (you'll need a pr / local to be a director) and then get a pass through that business and be "full time employed".

Have you fully explored the reason why you don't qualify for a DP? There are a couple of threads active at the moment on defacto partners and same sex partners. Both seem to be possible. But legalising your relationship is the best way to get a DP and that will make you life so much easier (its just a piece of paper in order to achieve an end).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 4:15 pm

carteki wrote:Have you fully explored the reason why you don't qualify for a DP?

I was going to ask the same thing. Or get an LTVP, sure you can't work with that but it's better than a tourist visa.