Singapore Expats

Need Help - Bandwidth Query

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:11 am

He's using 5Ghz 802.11a/n. The channel overlap isn't an issue :)

However, still waiting for him to try the test plugged directly into the cable modem via Ethernet, but it really sounds like a Starhub issue.

logo1234

Post by logo1234 » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 2:16 pm

Hi
Thought I had mentioned earlier but no worries, happy to confirm again.
With AAE, have 02 networks set up. One 2.4GHz and other is a 5GHz.
Both are wireless n (802.11n).
5GHz is showing as channel 149....?
2.4 GHz is showing as channel '1'
Most other networks seem to share 6,7 & 1. WIll try and change to another channel for good order sake.
I think the issue is StarHub as by now I have changed my router and also the location where it was plugged. Have moved it from 'splitter' arrangement to a dedicated point.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
R

logo1234

Post by logo1234 » Mon, 23 Jan 2012 2:19 pm

Did do the tests using wired and wireless networks:

Wireless - 45 mbps
Wired - Did a test with StarHub rep on the phone (03 times). Speed ranged from 52-54 mbps.

Post the location change, the wireless speed seems to have improved and is averaging 55-60 mbps.

Cheers
R

logo1234

Post by logo1234 » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 5:31 pm

Hi

More as an update. Starhub technician came and did a check. The connection showed him 115 mbps through wired at 1700 hrs. He thought I was fibbing about the bad connection.

Also informed me that even though they advertise 100 mbps, maximum is 60 mbps and using wifi means that the speed will actually be 30 mbps. So rather than a variance of 10-20%, it is a variance of 70% from what was promised.

Very very annoyed. Am going to check again with Starhub service representatives and if things remain as is, am going to change service providers.

I actually see this case as classic mis-representation by Starhub. They advertise 100 mbps but actually only deliver 20-30 mbps....and this gets worse during 'peak hours'.

Any suggestions on which provider is better? Is Singtel better than Starhub? Also someone mentioned that NTT Docomo also offers broadband in Singapore. Any one has used them?

Regards
R

Sir

Post by Sir » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:58 pm

CAnt help you with reccommendations, but for the more technically minded you can flash your router with DD-WRT firmware, it's free and basically replaces the operating system of your router with one that generally regarded as the best possible.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

oh and its free!

High reccommended, it increases functionality, and can also handle many more connections than factory standard firmware.

I've done it to 3 or 4 routers...

bear in mind tho, read all the documentation you can 'brick' your router if you do it wrong; i.e. f it up and turn it into a brick :lol: