Singapore Expats Forum

Lego Anybody?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 2:57 pm

nakatago wrote:
nutnut wrote:Ooooh, there are a number of different ways to code these things, to think you can buy lego you can code! I like this... I may have to get some now, how do I keep it away from my 5 year old son though? :P

http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html

You get him his own sets to distract him while you play with your set!

Not at $300 a set I wont :O
nutnut

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:01 pm

nutnut wrote:
nakatago wrote:
nutnut wrote:Ooooh, there are a number of different ways to code these things, to think you can buy lego you can code! I like this... I may have to get some now, how do I keep it away from my 5 year old son though? :P

http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/NXTSoftware.html

You get him his own sets to distract him while you play with your set!

Not at $300 a set I wont :O

No, not a NXT of his own. Start him off with some Technic sets?

(then you go off "borrowing" some pieces when you realize you need more for your robot).

You're welcome.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 4:45 pm

nakatago wrote:.... Start him off with some Technic sets?

(then you go off "borrowing" some pieces when you realize you need more for your robot).

You're welcome.

Or Mechano set (do they still make it ?? ) :D

orbita: You mean not being a techno-freak or techno-psycho-freak and not putting 'unproductive stuff' at the top of my to-do list - does it mean I am a bad programmer as well ? :roll: :roll:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 5:15 pm

ecureilx wrote:orbita: You mean not being a techno-freak or techno-psycho-freak and not putting 'unproductive stuff' at the top of my to-do list - does it mean I am a bad programmer as well ? :roll: :roll:

Yep! I think so Squirrel, I think your code is messy and you do not indent properly. Start using Eclipse and smarten it up a bit right?

Are you just spoiling for a fight? No need to jump on board this one huh?

To be fair, my Java was good until I started to try and learn to do multi-threading, then I found it very troublesome, gave up and became a project manager :P :P ....
nutnut

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 5:19 pm

nutnut wrote:Are you just spoiling for a fight? No need to jump on board this one huh?

Me ? Fight ? Oh no .. I am not the squirrel from hell :)

To be fair, my Java was good until I started to try and learn to do multi-threading, then I found it very troublesome, gave up and became a project manager :P :P ....

Yah, I gave up on my Cobol and RPG long time ago, and the Java as well, and sticking to PL/SQL NOW :D :D Of course, an occasional Java coffee does work for me ..

And working my way to A - "PM" .. seems there is more money in managing that doing LOL

So, what happens then ?? LOL

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 5:27 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nutnut wrote:Are you just spoiling for a fight? No need to jump on board this one huh?

Me ? Fight ? Oh no .. I am not the squirrel from hell :)

Ok Lah, in which case I won't give you one :P

Yah, I gave up on my Cobol and RPG long time ago, and the Java as well, and sticking to PL/SQL NOW :D :D Of course, an occasional Java coffee does work for me ..

I started on Basic, GFA basic and tried a little assembler (68000) I did Pascal and C at college, then a little COBOL afterwards for kicks, after which I stopped until I took up Java for fun a few years ago. Still like a little RPG (D&D etc)

And working my way to A - "PM" .. seems there is more money in managing that doing LOL

Working towards? I'd suggest you are probably already past it you'll have to start back peddling ;)

So, what happens then ?? LOL Huh?
nutnut

orbita

Postby orbita » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:34 am

nakatago wrote:
orbita wrote:I sense some hostility in your post, or maybe it's just me.
It was just "for your information". I didn't force you to do anything with it. There's really no need to justify yourself.
So sad.
I can tell you are not a very good developer, engineer, or anything technology related with that attitude.

Pot... Kettle.

Off you go then.

k, nevermind, Pot...Kettle.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:44 am

It was just "for your information". I didn't force you to do anything with it. There's really no need to justify yourself.
So sad.
I can tell you are not a very good developer, engineer, or anything technology related with that attitude.

You read the post wrongly so maybe you should go back and try reading it again. You seem to miss the tenses. He wrote about his investigation in the past tense, he also indicted he had moved on but was just adding what he'd found out "back then" when he "had" investigated it. It also was "information only".

It's just you.

Of course if it had been me, I'd have slammed you good for your blatant insults. You, I must say, are the one who is "sad".

orbita

Postby orbita » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 1:13 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:.... Start him off with some Technic sets?

You're welcome.

Or Mechano set (do they still make it ?? ) :D

orbita: You mean not being a techno-freak or techno-psycho-freak and not putting 'unproductive stuff' at the top of my to-do list - does it mean I am a bad programmer as well ? :roll: :roll:

no, definitely not. I bought an NXT set on impulse some years ago. It is now sitting collecting dust because I also need to put "productive stuff" on top of my to-do list.
It is the attitude that I'm picky about.
Anyway, I think a little fun robotics just for the sake of doing it is good for the mind.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 1:16 pm

orbita wrote:Anyway, I think a little fun robotics just for the sake of doing it is good for the mind.

Doesn't seem to do much good for social interaction though....... :-|

orbita

Postby orbita » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 1:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
So sad.

You read the post wrongly so maybe you should go back and try reading it again. You seem to miss the tenses. He wrote about his investigation in the past tense, he also indicted he had moved on but was just adding what he'd found out "back then" when he "had" investigated it. It also was "information only".

It's just you.

Of course if it had been me, I'd have slammed you good for your blatant insults. You, I must say, are the one who is "sad".

He put words in black-bold and I found it annoying and patronising. What's up with you?
Now I say instead of correcting me constructively you attacked me. Your post stinks.
What do you say? Slam me as much as you like and prepare for more insults.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 1:46 pm

orbita wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
So sad.

It's just you.

He put words in black-bold and I found it annoying and patronising. What's up with you?
Now I say instead of correcting me constructively you attacked me. Your post stinks.
What do you say? Slam me as much as you like and prepare for more insults.

You found that annoying and patronising?

You asking if I "aren't familiar with Java" is condescending, moreso after asking me what toolchain and development software are.

orbita

Postby orbita » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 1:56 pm

please, nakatago, I don't want to start the fight with you. I'm refering to your original post and not you yourself.
I don't find my question condescending. It's just a question.
If you find that patronising, my apology. I'm not a native english speaker. I'm not aware of any subtleties in that question.
Morever, many tech people don't know Java. Nothing wrong with that.
Programmers tend not to call development tools as "development software".

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 2:28 pm

orbita wrote:please, nakatago, I don't want to start the fight with you. I'm refering to your original post and not you yourself.
I don't find my question condescending. It's just a question.
If you find that patronising, my apology. I'm not a native english speaker. I'm not aware of any subtleties in that question.
Morever, many tech people don't know Java. Nothing wrong with that.
Programmers tend not to call development tools as "development software".

Wrong.

Nak didn't bold ANYTHING in his initial post. He only bolded a later quote of it when you missed the tense of his whole post and started slamming him.

As you are admittedly not a native English speaker, one would have thought that maybe, just maybe, you might given the benefit of the doubt or, heaven forbid, go back and reread the post for context again, instead of going off half-cocked and blazing away. Talk about an illogically placed attitude problem.......

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 3:14 pm

Chill LAN!
nutnut