Singapore Expats Forum

EP or S-pass ? Better chance :)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Umbrella&Rain

EP or S-pass ? Better chance :)

Postby Umbrella&Rain » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:45 am

Hi peeps!
So glad I found this forum to ask for some advice and opinion.
Please let me share my situation from which I am trying to decide how to proceed.
I am currently studying ACCA part 3 in singapore, finished part 2 this semester.
Very lucky I found a job that is willing to hire me as junior account executive.
My boss is quite willing to assist me in applying some kind of permanent work pass. The problem is she is not very experience with employing foreigner. I will be the only foreigner in the small company. Only 4 locals as full times and the rests are part time only.
So she told me she will ask company secretary to assist me and really hope I will get approved.
She offer me two choice, Spass with salary of 2200 or EP with salary of 2800, for the later I will have to go into 2yrs contract with her.
We will discuss with company secretary but in my case what will be the better case ?
Salary is not my priority , I just wish to work.
I do have a normal unrelated Bsc degree from my home country( Uni listed in MOM site) and I am trilingual with experience in shipping and licensing procedure for 2 years back then. That is the main reason she want to hire me because they have difficulty in communication with liaison company(most are companies from my country)
She said EP because she think her company don't have enough for Spass.
I am not too sure in this because I am definitely certified as 25% of workforce >.<
I am abit afraid EP is so high for me to reach LOL
Anyone of you have any advice to offer me?
Please ask me anything for clarification :)
Thanks you!
Last edited by Umbrella&Rain on Thu, 15 Dec 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 2:00 am

Why don't you ask MOM?
In any case, the employer has to APPLY for your S-Pass/EP, not only assist.

Umbrella&Rain

Postby Umbrella&Rain » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 2:28 am

Yes, the company secretary has to apply for me.
I am asking for tips here, because she is super bo chap when I talk to her :(
Not pointing finger ,but the situation is my company outsource this secretarial service to her firm and I can feel she don't really approve of hiring foreigner.
Not only don't give me a single advice or opinion, shut me out and told me off to tell my boss to call her when we are ready with my paper works. She will do it either we say Spass or EP. thats all.
I did go to ICA site and take a self assessment tick box test. its BFE now where .
LOL Can I call ICA for this decision?
Sorry I sound ignorance, never do such kind of things before nor I have any help in this.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:45 am

Umbrella&Rain wrote:LOL Can I call ICA for this decision?

From earlier post, you seemed to know quite a far bit on the quota system, I came to conclusion that you know how MOM's work.

Hence my question is , what the hell you want to call ICA for ?
ICA for immigration purposes and MOM for work related passes

So which is which.

EP will be a better choice IMHO
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Umbrella&Rain

Postby Umbrella&Rain » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:59 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Umbrella&Rain wrote:LOL Can I call ICA for this decision?

From earlier post, you seemed to know quite a far bit on the quota system, I came to conclusion that you know how MOM's work.

Hence my question is , what the hell you want to call ICA for ?
ICA for immigration purposes and MOM for work related passes

So which is which.

EP will be a better choice IMHO

ooops, my bad. Its a typo. I mean MOM, not ICA, because that self assessment check I done was also on MOM site >.<
Yeah, once I got a job offer...I go through online resource madly to read about the rules and regulations . Rumors and flame about these are plenty'o too . So far, only this forum give reasonable answer.
Thanks for the advice too .

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 8:29 am

This is a no brainer......

Apply for the EP, if you can get a 2 year contract, mores the better as you don't know if criteria will be further tightened up during 2012 thereby making it impossible for you to stay at all.

When applying for the EP, you must (and pay attention here as it's extremely important) TICK THE BOX ON THE APPLICATION THAT ASKS IF "YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR AN S PASS IF NOT ELIGIBLE FOR AN EP". If you do not tick that box when making the initial application you cannot go back and change it. Additionally, if subsequently rejected for the EP, you cannot go back an apply for the S pass. So it's very important to do it right the first time!

Good luck.

Umbrella&Rain

Postby Umbrella&Rain » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 3:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This is a no brainer......

Apply for the EP, if you can get a 2 year contract, mores the better as you don't know if criteria will be further tightened up during 2012 thereby making it impossible for you to stay at all.

When applying for the EP, you must (and pay attention here as it's extremely important) TICK THE BOX ON THE APPLICATION THAT ASKS IF "YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR AN S PASS IF NOT ELIGIBLE FOR AN EP". If you do not tick that box when making the initial application you cannot go back and change it. Additionally, if subsequently rejected for the EP, you cannot go back an apply for the S pass. So it's very important to do it right the first time!

Good luck.

Oh,I am sure I will be ticking that box .
Everything is ready and will be submit tomorrow.
XXFinger crossXX
Thank you !

Umbrella&Rain

Postby Umbrella&Rain » Fri, 06 Jan 2012 3:36 pm

Hi all !
Thanks for all the information and insight .
My pass was approved today under spass , for period of 24 months.
Now I can start my journey as an working adult :D
Very happy !

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 06 Jan 2012 3:42 pm

Congratulations! :lol:

Welcome to Singapore!