What appliances are available in Condos?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 3:42 pm

nutnut wrote:Must be just HDB lah, my kids bikes have been in the basement of our condo for over a year unlocked an no one has touched them!

Petty Thievery indeed, Thievery is thievery pure and simple.
Heck, some of the expat families even moved out of the condo (and the country) and leave the bicycles there for aeons! And most of the time, no one even notices :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 4:42 pm

Condo's have security (in theory) and the monthly charges are higher, thereby allow the installation of CCTV's.

Unfortunately CCTV's in HDB estates are harder to come by and usually there is little budget for a sufficient number of them to cover the entire void decks of all the blocks. Therefore, the lift lobbies and/or outdoor drinks vending machines are what are under surveillance. The bike racks are usually not all in one place but are here, there and everywhere. How long are derelict bikes left there? Good question as it's the Town Council's responsibility to remove them. I suppose if enough complaints were made, they would get out the gas axe or bolt cutters and liberate them.

Me? I keep my "Iron Horse" in my home office (converted balcony).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mummy mantras
Regular
Regular

Post by mummy mantras » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 3:50 pm

Barnsley wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you live in an HDB you would be a fool to park a good bike in the void deck facilities. The seats and anything else easily removable will be gone inside of a week (if it lasts a day). I see all the remains of locked up bikes in our HDB estate on my walkabouts with the constabulary every month.
The bike racks around my block are 50% full of bikes with bits missing/flat tyres etc.
Really? Wow! The bikes is my estate look just fine. Admittedly they're all pretty cheap bikes (including my husband's), but none of them seem to be missing any parts.

Some of them sport some really unusual modifications though... There's one that belongs to an old geezer who lives on one of the higher floors in my block. He attached a golf umbrella to his handlebars, so that (when it's raining or really sunny) he can open his umbrella, turning his bike into a covered buggy for one! :D

Though, I guess it's okay for them to leave their bikes out 'cos they're all not particularly expensive ones... But then, I wouldn't leave anything expensive outside my home, whether I lived in a flat or a condo. That would just be tempting fate, wouldn't it? O:)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 8:40 pm

mummy mantras wrote:Though, I guess it's okay for them to leave their bikes out 'cos they're all not particularly expensive ones... But then, I wouldn't leave anything expensive outside my home, whether I lived in a flat or a condo. That would just be tempting fate, wouldn't it? O:)
Not necessarily. It really depend on the place: in our previous location (a condo) many people, including ourselves, kept the bikes often branded in the basement CP, many of them unlocked. During the period of 3y we stayed there one bike gone missing,

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:38 am

x9200 wrote:
mummy mantras wrote:Though, I guess it's okay for them to leave their bikes out 'cos they're all not particularly expensive ones... But then, I wouldn't leave anything expensive outside my home, whether I lived in a flat or a condo. That would just be tempting fate, wouldn't it? O:)
Not necessarily. It really depend on the place: in our previous location (a condo) many people, including ourselves, kept the bikes often branded in the basement CP, many of them unlocked. During the period of 3y we stayed there one bike gone missing,
And for HDB, only of late (no FT bashing here I hope .. :roll: ) there are less and less stuff left outside HDB houses ..

When I stayed in Yishun and Telok Blangah, almost every house left their shoes, clothes, bags, and everything and even let mattresses to air in the balcony, and unless there is a note saying "PLEASE HELP YOURSELF" or "PLEASE TAKE" .. it stayed there for days and more ..

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 9:53 am

I fear we are going to be like our grandparents (in the UK) in 40 years time saying something along the lines of

"When I was your age young man, I used to leave my shoes outside and my door unlocked, I can't do that anymore, the youngsters would be off with them and my house would be ransacked"

I really hope not!
nutnut