Singapore Expats Forum

Wed, Dec 14th: After-work beer anyone?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Wed, Dec 14th: After-work beer anyone?

Postby ChrisCH » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 5:05 pm

Hi!

After reading tons of "I want to make new friends" posts here, replying to some and things never seem to happen do I now make it concrete: I am new to Singapore (three months), 32, married (my wife is in her late 20s) and pretty bored here: I simply need to meet some people for fun. Looks like lots of people are looking to expand their social circle, so let's keep it easy: I don't care how old you are, what gender, single or a couple, nationality, expat or local - let's just all get together for a drink. The more diverse the better...

Who is interested to join this Wednesday after work, so say 18.30? I guess most are at that time somewhere in the CBD, so I suggest Harry's @ the Sail. That's next to One Raffles Quay, some five minutes from Raffles Place.

Who is in?

Cheers,

Chris

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 5:41 pm

Sounds good. Can I suggest Prince of Wales at Boat Quay. Their ladies jam jar is good value and its pleasant sitting on the side of the river.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 6:05 pm

I am open to other venues. The problem was that the first time I tried to join a dink the place it was organized at was so crowded that I didn't get in anymore. How busy is boat quay on a Wednesday?

I want to make sure it is a place that won't be too crowded, so people can find us and not too loud so we can have a chat.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 1:35 pm

Ok, lots of views but few answers....

So please reply with a post or a PM to me if you want to join. Again, a straight forward plan: If we are five or more by noon tomorrow it is on, otherwise cancelled.

As it does not look like we will have a huge crowd can we agree tomorrow which venue is most convenient for the ones who join. I will update it here then so other people can join as well.

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Postby chuckd » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 1:53 pm

I'll join in, though probably not until about 7:30pm (work is out east).
--
Chuck

TPHK

Postby TPHK » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 9:51 pm

Chris - count me in.

I would suggest meeting at Harry's as it is likely to be quieter and therefore easy to guess who we all are (better yet some sort of indication in advance of how to spot the group would be useful).

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:36 am

No worries. First we need to get a group together.

Finding is quite easy: I am European with a shaved head and since 99% of afterwork drinkers here wear white shirts and black pants will it be easy to find me if I go for anything else...

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 1:11 pm

Alright... so up to now it is just four including me who replied... anyone else interested to join? Even if we are only four will I not cancel it at the moment as I am really looking forward to meet some people.

I will stick to the original plan at Harry's at the Sail, that is just next to the taxi stand of One Raffles Quay, five minutes from Raffles Place.

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Postby chuckd » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 3:30 pm

ChrisCH wrote:Finding is quite easy: I am European with a shaved head and since 99% of afterwork drinkers here wear white shirts and black pants will it be easy to find me if I go for anything else...

I'll be wearing baggy jeans and a t-shirt, most likely looking lost and out of place. :oops:
--

Chuck

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 3:59 pm

Ok, so to everyone else: If you see a table with two guys that distinctively don't look like bankers... that's the right table. (But we are more than open to drink with people in shirts working in finance as well... just join.)

I am an average sized European without hair wearing some shorts and a short armed shirt. The place is pretty small and I am sure you can spot me. However, you can PM me for my mobile number.

TPHK

Postby TPHK » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 5:27 pm

I will be wearing a blue and white striped shirt and grey trousers. Are we still meeting at 6.30?

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:00 am

Even though the group was indeed very small did we have a lot of fun and had far too many beers.

Thanks for coming!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42 pm

Hi,
Sorry - I got there around 6:30, but couldn't find you guys. Next time.
Kim

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Postby chuckd » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry that I missed you folks. I came down at just after 7:30pm had a look around but didn't see anyone fitting the descriptions. Should probably have passed on my mobile number or something. Anyways, glad you had fun, hopefully I can join you all if you go out again.

Cheers.
--

Chuck

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:03 am

Seriously?

I thought I was very easy to spot as just as I anticipated was everyone else wearing their business outfits... I really sticked out. A lot.

The one thing I did not think off was that there are two Harry's pretty close to each other, maybe this is where it went wrong?

We were at the bar till 20.30 or so and then moved on to get some food... and from there moved on to the more lively going out areas along the river.

I am so sorry we missed you. We actually checked this space if somebody posted any "I can't find you" message... Next time I'll PM my mobile number.