Singapore Expats

Please Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
svnebh

Please Advice

Post by svnebh » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 3:04 pm

Firstly, I would thank all of you who have posted some really useful advice on Immigration, Businesses and all other related matters. I am currently in a weird situation here and after reading to few threads on the board here decided to post here and seek help from all the 'Gurus' here..

A little bit about myself..
1. I am an Indian (Please dont hate me for this:P)
2. I have studied in the usa (Masters degree:D, again, please dont kill me for this)
3. I am married to a Singapore PR for a little over 2 years now

Here the story goes.. After I finished my studies, I took up a job in the USA and was keen to bringing my spouse to the USA and settle down there. However, after a few unsucessful attempts for her Visa, I decided to leave states and be here in SG with her. Upon arriving in SG on a SVP, My wife subsequently applied for LTSVP for me which was approved about a month ago. (on a side note my total stay in SG so far in about 2 and half months on this trip, I have travelled to SG quite a few times on SVP since 2004 just to see my then girlfriend and now wife)

I have tried few employment agencies which seems to charge a ridiculous amount of fee (last one i checked with asked for 6k!!).

The problem:

Having less than 2 years of work experience I find it very hard to get hired and get any sort of work pass from the company. My wife was suggesting to apply for PR under the Family Ties Scheme and I was wondering is it possible to do so without me holding any work pass first?

Please Advice......

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 3:29 pm

Does not hurt, does it ?

You have not many choice at this moment. Apply as a family under spouse sponsor. If approved at least you stand a better chance to gain employment
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

svnebh

Post by svnebh » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 3:41 pm

Thank You so much for your prompt reply MS. I really appreciate it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 5:54 pm

If PR application fails which is quite noticeable nowadays, get your SPR wife set up a company and let the company employ you under EP cum director.
go to www.acra.gov.sg for more info
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

svnebh

Post by svnebh » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 2:40 am

Thanks Alot MS.

I am not keen and neither do I have the capability to immediately engage into a business of my own at the moment to be honest. Also if I proceeded to apply for an EP using the method you suggested then would that EP allow me to work for some other company if i get an opportunity?

Please Advice...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 6:25 am

svnebh wrote:Thanks Alot MS.

I am not keen and neither do I have the capability to immediately engage into a business of my own at the moment to be honest. Also if I proceeded to apply for an EP using the method you suggested then would that EP allow me to work for some other company if i get an opportunity?

Please Advice...
No, one EP per One Company only. You lose one EP the whole process starts all over again.At least if you go thru this your LTSVP renewals is not in jeopardy. Renewal of LTSVP can be a real pain and it can goes it either way . Job is hard to find and more so for you. Think about it.
Doing something with low cost investment is still better than doing nothing.
Idle mind is the Devil's Playground

svnebh

Post by svnebh » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:47 am

Just an update. Applied for PR a week ago. Had all the documents and forms prepared as per the guidelines and it took about less than 5 minutes for submission. Still jobless.. Sigh..

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 5:51 pm

Two points to consider for you:
- If you become PR through family ties and you are under 40 years old, you will have to do National Service (2 years in the military).
- Employment agencies are not allowed, by law, to change the applicant any fees. Those that (try to) do are dubious and should be avoided!

svnebh

Post by svnebh » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you beppi.

I have read about the NS issue from multiple threads on the board. I would go for it if MINDEF would allow me to after taking a look at my medical history.

Employment agencies... ah.. I do not know where to start with these con artists.. I would share one of my experiences that shall be in the memoirs always..

Here it goes.. Saw this Ad in the recruit and read it a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. A position was offered, salary was stated & also that foreigners may apply. Did my research on the company and applied, got the interview. When I reach the place I see a whole bunch of people walking in and out of this cubicle inside the office. I waited my turn which was pretty quick, I walk in there and see a person with literally stacks of resumes. He looks at me and goes.. " you bling 1 hunded daular n I apply 2 hunded kahmpani for u.." you could only imagine what I would have gone through at that moment.. ah.. goodness.. desperate me..

I did approach known headhunters and they have me on file. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Having less than 2 years of work experience is working heavily against me the way I see it or who knows what it is...

Please suggest if anyone knows of agencies that worked for them or thinks might be helpful for what my situation is..