Apartment rental rules

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Raju

Apartment rental rules

Post by Raju » Mon, 29 Nov 2004 4:57 pm

I signed a two-year lease for an apartment in October, 2003, with a diplomatic clause to break the lease after one year, with two months notice. I paid a brokerage of one month for the place. I plan to leave Singapore in March 2005, and informed the broker, who has been the sole contact as the owner is a company with many apartments in the city. The broker tells me I have to pay him about $550 because he has to return a part of the brokerage, which he got separately from the owner, for the remaining period of the lease. He had not mentioned to me about this earlier, nor was it included in the lease agreement. Can anyone enlighten me on the rules? And, is there an authority where I can complain if there is a dispute? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Confused

About deposit

Post by Confused » Tue, 30 Nov 2004 4:39 pm

I signed a 1 year lease for a 2 bedroom apartment at $1800.I paid my agent $1800 plus $900(agent comission)and paid $1800 again when I signed the letter of intent.Is this right?Does this mean I paid 2 months deposit? :?

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: About deposit

Post by Pal » Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:25 am

Confused wrote:I signed a 1 year lease for a 2 bedroom apartment at $1800.I paid my agent $1800 plus $900(agent comission)and paid $1800 again when I signed the letter of intent.Is this right?Does this mean I paid 2 months deposit? :?
The two months that you had paid should be for the deposit and also the first month rental.

One year lease should only have one month deposit. Check with your agent :)
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

arrow

Re: About deposit

Post by arrow » Fri, 17 Dec 2004 6:13 pm

On both cases, it is done legally.
If you had your TA done according to the standard wordings of a TA in S'pre, then the clause which covers this would be Clause 7 (which is the diplomatic clause) under (i).

If your TA does not include this clause, then you do not have to pay for the reimbursement of commissions/brokerage paid by Landlord to the brokers for procuring tenant on unexpired term of the leased period.

I believe you can seek recourse with Housing Board on these matters, specially if landlord/broker is asking for fees/dues which were not stated in the contract.

G/luck!