Singapore Expats

Bussiness set-up matters

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
rogery

Bussiness set-up matters

Post by rogery » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 5:01 pm

Hi All, I'm going to set up my own business and would like to put some matters up for general discussions. Hope this will benefit many of us who are also considering it.

1. Due to the nature of business, after registering it in Singapore I'll have to set up Rep Offices/Branches in other countries like Vietnam. I'm considering sole proprietorship for my business but is a sole proprietorship allowed to have Rep Offices/Branches in other countries? or only incorporated companies can do?

2. If you are currently working, are you allowed to register your own business/company without resigning from your current job?

3. Virtual office (VO) is a good option for small a business. Any friend out there experiences this? Which VO company that you prefer most for its low cost / convenience / service level?

Let's discuss and share our experience. Cheers!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:32 pm

Are you a Singapore citizen or PR?

Starting place for all answers.

rogery

Post by rogery » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:48 pm

Really? I thought Singapore Gov try to make it easy for PR to promote business?

Anyway I'm a PR, my husband is Singaporean. I prefer to have the business under my name and nothing in relation with hubby, so will do whatever I can first.
However if it's really different between Singaporean and PR, then I'll consider to involve him.

alicean

Post by alicean » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 1:53 pm

Same questions here. However i'm PR & my husband is foreigner. Am i allowed to register for own company without resigning from job? If I want to keep my job, can my husband register for a business here as a foreign entrepreneur??? Very doubtful...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 2:31 pm

I believe all of you have misinterpreted Strong Eagles post.

What he means is are you a Singaporean/PR or something else, e.g., Employment Pass holder, LTVP holder, PEP holder, etc., etc., NOT Singaporean OR PR (there is no difference between the two with regard to starting a company here.

The OP failed to indicate their status here in their initial post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rogery

Post by rogery » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 3:53 pm

Oh i see :) Thanks SMS and SE for your clarification. I'm a SPR.
Any friend can share your opinions regarding to the above queries?
Cheers!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 7:33 pm

As a PR, you can register a business and work for it.
There is no law against being employed by another company at the same time, but many employment contracts rule this out (especially if the business is a competitor to the employer), so check your contract or ask your employer!
For foreign offices, you have to follow their local rules, which are different in each particular country and outside the scope of a Singapore forum.

rogery

Post by rogery » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:43 am

Thanks for all the advices. Anybody experienced in virtual office? which company provide good services?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 8:25 am

Since you are PR, and as others have noted, you are free to start your own business, work at as many places you want, without restriction. You can also form a sole proprietorship, a private limited, a limited liability partnership, or any other business vehicle provided for by the government.

You will have to check other countries for their requirements concerning rep offices or branches. Typically a rep office cannot earn any income. My view is that if your business is sophisticated enough to warrant branch offices, you should be incorporated here as a private limited... in the long run, it offers protections and advantages not found under an SP.

As for VO, google it. There are expensive ones, good if you want a class A address to impress your clients. They also have the best in phone systems, and recording devices. I don't know about the cheaper ones, except that they exist.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 30 Dec 2011 6:58 pm

The OP can't even spell the word 'business' correctly; godspeed......