Singapore Expats Forum

Library joining fee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Sital

Library joining fee

Postby Sital » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:30 pm

can someone please advice me why I have to pay to join a library in Singapore... aren't all libraries free to join? Please shed some light.
Sital

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:36 pm

I'm assuming you're a foreigner. That means nothing's keeping you to stay in Singapore which can also mean you can borrow something to never return it.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 7:10 pm

See following link.

It's clearly advertised, if you don't like it then you don't have to join, you can buy all the books you want to read instead.

http://www.nlb.gov.sg/page/PlMicrositeContent/LibraryGuidePage

1f is the section for Foreigners, very reasonable if you ask me.

nutnut
nutnut

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:14 pm

Seriously - for 6 books / mags / dvd's at at time for 3 weeks - $50 is peanuts. I'll gladly pay that if just to support the library (and they carry decent stuff too).

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby boffenl » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:25 pm

It was a surprise to us at first as well. But we paid--and once we became PR it's FREE. Just one unknown benefit of being PR? :)

If you read a lot it's worth it--or if you live or work near a library. They do carry some great stuff and you can go on-line to reserve and search for books, dvd's and cds. Pretty god system actually.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:42 pm

Well if you don't fancy paying the fee, you can always sit there and read all the way :P

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:12 pm

Free? Yes, as stated, but just to residents. Local schools aren't fee either, even to residents. They aren't expensive but they aren't without cost, either. The library has a high level of services. If, for example, you request a book from another branch they will obtain it and SMS you that it is in. They'll also SMS a reminder that your books are due.

My advice - pay the fee and enjoy the benefits.