Singapore Expats

No relieving letter, doubtful filing of any tax return

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
laksaawesome

No relieving letter, doubtful filing of any tax return

Post by laksaawesome » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:44 pm

Hi all,

I was employe in Singapore on S pass at MNC. I resign here with month notice in email and online system. They did not accept. They paid me full salary for last month. And no relieving letter.

I have left Singapore and now I'm concerend if any tax return for me was filed by MNC. It is very possible that nothing was filed or if my resignation was taken seriously. I should be taxed 15%.

What are the consequences for this? Will I need to go back to Singapore to cancel S pass? Will I not be able to work internationally in future?

Need help and advice on what to do. Employer is not helpful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: No relieving letter, doubtful filing of any tax return

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:44 pm

laksaawesome wrote:Hi all,

I was employe in Singapore on S pass at MNC. I resign here with month notice in email and online system. They did not accept. They paid me full salary for last month. And no relieving letter.

I have left Singapore and now I'm concerend if any tax return for me was filed by MNC. It is very possible that nothing was filed or if my resignation was taken seriously. I should be taxed 15%.

What are the consequences for this? Will I need to go back to Singapore to cancel S pass? Will I not be able to work internationally in future?

Need help and advice on what to do. Employer is not helpful.
When did you arrive in Singapore? When did you leave Singapore?

If you were here for over 60 days but less than 183 days in 2011 then you will be taxed at a flat 15% tax rate. If you were here more than 183 days in 2011 and your income (as reported to the FWLB) was less than $20K then you have no tax liability at all, If you did earn over 20K and were here less than 183 days then it will be a flat 15%.

The S pass would probably have been canceled already. The employer won't want to keep paying the higher levy without an employee working. If you have a tax liability, the first time you waltz into Singapore they will pick up as a tax dodger as your passport will have been flagged by IRAS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 1:44 am

Really?! I mean, I never wanted to "dodge" tax. :roll:

What happen now? Can I clear my name? What if I want to work in Singapore again? What about other countries?

This is pretty sad. :?

Edit: My tax rate would be flat 15% I believe because I was there for less than 183 days (more than 60). Although I made less than S$20k.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:51 am

laksaawesome wrote:Really?! I mean, I never wanted to "dodge" tax. :roll:

What happen now? Can I clear my name? What if I want to work in Singapore again? What about other countries?

This is pretty sad. :?

Edit: My tax rate would be flat 15% I believe because I was there for less than 183 days (more than 60). Although I made less than S$20k.
Best to call IRAS to clear your issue. Make sure you have your FIN number handy
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 6:52 am

I concur with MS's suggestion. But before you call IRAS, why don't you give your former employer a call and enquire if they filed the IR-21 and paid any tax liability due? This may save some embarrassment for both parties concerned.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I talked to the company and they say I did not do their formal relieving procedure and they will treat it like abandonment of employment case. How is that my fault? I resigned a complete month before and if they didn't treat it seriously it shouldn't be I abandon employment.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:17 pm

I can see that this is going to turn out into something worse that you can imagine. Best to speak to MOM and IRAS on this. If you have tender your resignation, there will be record and signed copy to that effect.
As you did not leave your employment amicably, first stop MOM then IRAS to clear your tax
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:17 pm

Did you return the S pass to the company? If not, then you abandoned the company and deserve to get hung out to dry and banned from re-entering Singapore in the future. It sounds to me like you did a runner without even returning your S pass. Is that the case? Did you personally go to MOM to return your S Pass before you left the country?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Did you return the S pass to the company? If not, then you abandoned the company and deserve to get hung out to dry and banned from re-entering Singapore in the future. It sounds to me like you did a runner without even returning your S pass. Is that the case? Did you personally go to MOM to return your S Pass before you left the country?
SMS has pretty much summed it ..

I am yet to see an MNC (If he really meant MNC) who refuses to release an employee - on the other hand, they would be glad to let go of the person on the spot, lest the person become a sour plum and affect other's work .. unless there is ongoing projects and there is real need to hold the person to let the notice period expire ..

He/She seems to have done a runner ..

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 4:15 pm

Interesting. I wasn't aware I have to return S pass et al. Sounds like I did a runner then. (Because they can easily destroy evidence of my resignation and say I never show any intention to leave/separate.)

Yes it's a MNC from a country I will not name. Most ppl I see in office come from same country. Few their country people who is PR now, almost no Singaporeans and I was the only other Chinese.

So now I cannot return to Singapore? Not even meet friends? What about Malaysia if we meet there?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 4:40 pm

laksaawesome wrote:Interesting. I wasn't aware I have to return S pass et al. Sounds like I did a runner then. (Because they can easily destroy evidence of my resignation and say I never show any intention to leave/separate.)

Yes it's a MNC from a country I will not name. Most ppl I see in office come from same country. Few their country people who is PR now, almost no Singaporeans and I was the only other Chinese.

So now I cannot return to Singapore? Not even meet friends? What about Malaysia if we meet there?
return / cancellation / MOM must know that you are not under their employ and officially acknowledge it .. so to say ..

And any clue to which country this MNC Would be from ?? LOL

And, why would Singapore worry if you meet your friends in Malaysia ?? :)

Unless you did something terrible enough for the employer to have gone to cops and issued an international arrest warrant .. ... LOL

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 5:23 pm

ecureilx wrote: return / cancellation / MOM must know that you are not under their employ and officially acknowledge it .. so to say ..

And any clue to which country this MNC Would be from ?? LOL

And, why would Singapore worry if you meet your friends in Malaysia ?? :)

Unless you did something terrible enough for the employer to have gone to cops and issued an international arrest warrant .. ... LOL
No clue for country. You take wild guess. :cool:

Nothing terrible. I only have the pen they gave me with company name on it. I was junior level employee. I don't think I have money to take on a legal battle with MNC. I will just have to give up Singapore. :-|

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 5:27 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I can see that this is going to turn out into something worse that you can imagine. Best to speak to MOM and IRAS on this. If you have tender your resignation, there will be record and signed copy to that effect.
As you did not leave your employment amicably, first stop MOM then IRAS to clear your tax
Resignation was only email. I don't know what I say to MOM. :oops:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 5:30 pm

laksaawesome wrote:
No clue for country. You take wild guess. :cool:

Nothing terrible. I only have the pen they gave me with company name on it. I was junior level employee. I don't think I have money to take on a legal battle with MNC. I will just have to give up Singapore. :-|
well, if the company is so terrible as you say, you can write in to MOM, and seek their advice to self cancel. MOM, in very rare cases, have cancelled, and that was many years ago.

You can try, than to exile yourself from Singapore ..

Any eeny meeny clue about the company ?? South Asia, South East Asia, North Asia, West Asia, East Europe, Western Europe, Africa ,??

laksaawesome

Post by laksaawesome » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 5:40 pm

ecureilx wrote: well, if the company is so terrible as you say, you can write in to MOM, and seek their advice to self cancel. MOM, in very rare cases, have cancelled, and that was many years ago.

You can try, than to exile yourself from Singapore ..

Any eeny meeny clue about the company ?? South Asia, South East Asia, North Asia, West Asia, East Europe, Western Europe, Africa ,??
Yes, you are right. No harm trying. Would you know if forward copy of resignation email with me is legal proof?

Clue is if I say you the region you know which country. I see you no suggest America, but that is not the case.