Singapore Expats Forum

Coming to Singapore Before Employment Pass is Ready

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:52 pm

Shadowhawk wrote:Just because I'm dense and curious, it really is illegal to lease a flat (not a Serviced Apartment) without an IPA/EP? Have you heard of anyone doing it anyway? Consequences? I'm really glad I checked with you guys...

Consequences are to the owner. In the most extreme case when (s)he is found guilty of harboring illegal immigrants (including those overstayed) it is a few thousand dollars fine or/and imprisonment for up to 1y.

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:03 pm

Shadowhawk wrote:Just because I'm dense and curious, it really is illegal to lease a flat (not a Serviced Apartment) without an IPA/EP? Have you heard of anyone doing it anyway? Consequences? I'm really glad I checked with you guys...

If you are renting whole unit HDB. This is the guideline.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf ... enDocument
Eligiblity Conditions : Subtenants

Citizenship
Subtenants must be :
a. Singapore citizens; or
b. Singapore permanent residents; or
c. Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore [holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits*, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, Professional Visit Passes, Long Term Social Visit Passes (6 months and above)].
*Construction workers who are Work Permit holders should be Malaysians.

As a flat owner , I will not rent my unit to anyone who is not the above.
What's happen it is a scam.

Has cases happen before, owner rent out the whole unit to foreigner and when the owner come back few days later to check the house. He realize the whole unit is empty. All his furniture, electrical appliance, etc.. all GONE.

Shadowhawk

Postby Shadowhawk » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 10:53 pm

JR8 wrote:

Yes, afraid so. I imagine the law is to deter property owners turning apartment buildings into short stay accommodation for people who don't have residency.

p.s. Taking over a place through personal contacts sounds like a sound way to go (when you have residency). The other guy in question had picked a unit from classified ads, and the landlord (who didn't live in Singapore) was telling him to pay rent and depo up front (via Western Union), and that the keys would be DHLd to him in return. Hmmm. We know of two classified sites where these kind of ads are appearing, hence my asking you the question.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me, JR8. Having personal contacts on the ground helps a lot - but I'll still stay on my toes.

On a related note, a manager for the owner (who was contacted by my friend's friend, the current lessee) asked for first and last month's rent to be wired to the landlord's account. Then, he would send me a copy of the lease I was taking over and I would only need to sign it when I arrived in Singapore (since it was transferable). Does that sound about right? I did feel it was a little unusual to wire money without solid documentation from the rentor's end, but decided it was okay because I was not likely dealing with a scammer.

Thanks for the legal notes - getting into trouble before I even crossed the ocean would be an unsavoury situation.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:08 pm

I don't think it reasonable to expect you to pay rent under a contract, which you haven't even seen yet. There is no reason why the landlord's agent can't send you a draft copy for you to read. If you start paying rent with no signed contract you have little or no hope later of negotiating in or out any terms that you want or disagree with. It is also not unheard of in such circumstances that a tenant pays rent/deposit with no contract, and the landlord/agent keep on marketing it to others trying to see if they can achieve a higher rent!

Others who are better on letting in SG will opine further. But if possible I think you need to set the tone with the landlord from the beginning, that you are well informed and won't be taken for a ride.

p.s. I wonder if LL's agent is a playing a crafty one. No signed contract now = no breach of law. But your advance payments give landlord security against you not arriving or changing your mind. Meanwhile if you happened to not get your IPA/EP I expect you could kiss your payments goodbye and the LL would have the place re-let immediately.
Last edited by JR8 on Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:09 pm

Shadowhawk wrote:On a related note, a manager for the owner (who was contacted by my friend's friend, the current lessee) asked for first and last month's rent to be wired to the landlord's account. Then, he would send me a copy of the lease I was taking over and I would only need to sign it when I arrived in Singapore (since it was transferable). Does that sound about right? I did feel it was a little unusual to wire money without solid documentation from the rentor's end, but decided it was okay because I was not likely dealing with a scammer.

Thanks for the legal notes - getting into trouble before I even crossed the ocean would be an unsavoury situation.

With that long chain of network (manager of the owner of friend of friend), I'd still be cautious if I were you. As long as there is a potential of money leaving your hand before you see the property yourself, it is still fishy.

And it is not just about the place, you still need to see it for yourself to understand the public transportation available, facilities, etc...

Hope you think through it carefully. You're really rushing into things :-|

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 3:06 am

You can do Everything before the money leaves your wallet

You Cannot do SH*T once it turns into custard so the wise man says
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Grybs

Postby Grybs » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 9:02 pm

To chime in briefly-- I'm in a similar situation, and have found the info on moving from a tourist visa to an EP helpful. I've been advised to wait until the IPA has been issued before booking flights.

One point not mentioned by Shadowhawk is that the cost of flights sometimes has to be borne by the appointee, with the hiring company paying a block sum to cover travel. In my situation, the sum barely covers the cost of two flights booked a month in advance-- waiting until the IPA turns up is likely going to cost me up to S$1000. So it goes I guess...