where to get queen size loft beds here?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
aballoonflies
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 4:41 am

where to get queen size loft beds here?

Post by aballoonflies » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:28 pm

I know I can get one custom made in the states for around 500 - 800 USD...but I want to avoid shipping one over even though my company is paying for the cargo.

I could just get one from Ikea if my potential landlord agrees to remove the bed from the room...but he seems reluctant about it only agreeing to remove bed frame but not the mattress.

Thanks for the info!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 1:32 pm

There a few places to buy beds and mattresses. As a starting point try www.beds.sg

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 8:08 pm

If your company is paying for shipping and you think you'll return to the US ~ then I would get it there. Mattresses in Singapore are a different size and are notoriously hard to sell second hand. You'll also have to buy new bedding.

Do you really want to be scrambling around your last week in Singapore trying to sell a loft bed and mattress that won't fit it most Singaporean flats?

Having said that, I did have a lovely one made from Eric at Hor Cane. Not cheap though.

aballoonflies
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 4:41 am

Post by aballoonflies » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info all. I just realized the studio I will be renting has a ceiling fan. Even at the ceiling is high enough (2.9m), I think sleeping next to three spinning blades is not a good idea... :???: Wonder why I didnt notice such when I first viewed the place.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39551
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:25 pm

That was going to be my post around lunchtime, but I figured you had already decided to use aircon rather than the much more economical and healthy ceiling fans. (I don't have aircon and will not have it) I've always used ceiling fans so loft beds were always out of the question.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That was going to be my post around lunchtime, but I figured you had already decided to use aircon rather than the much more economical and healthy ceiling fans. (I don't have aircon and will not have it) I've always used ceiling fans so loft beds were always out of the question.
What is a loft bed?!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39551
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:43 pm

Bunk beds without the bottom bed, Usually a kids writing desk or sofa in it's place. Saves space.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:44 pm

BillyB wrote:What is a loft bed?!
Something like this ??

Image
Or like this ??

Image

Or like this ?

Image

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 4:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BillyB wrote:What is a loft bed?!
Something like this ??

Image
Or like this ??

Image

Or like this ?

Image
Cheers, big ears.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 8:31 pm

BillyB wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That was going to be my post around lunchtime, but I figured you had already decided to use aircon rather than the much more economical and healthy ceiling fans. (I don't have aircon and will not have it) I've always used ceiling fans so loft beds were always out of the question.
What is a loft bed?!
Hmmmm.... I wonder what would have happened if a newbie asked such a broad question best answered by google. I guess if taxico's 'hostility' thread in the Leisure section is any indication it would go more like this:
Why would you even be considering a move to Singapore without knowing that since flats are so small here loft beds are very common and available virtually everywhere! Your fancy education obviously didn't pay off. Give me 'bed smarts' over 'book smarts' any day.
.

Sorry BillyB yours was a perfectly legitimate question. I just couldn't help notice how differently this might have been handled if you were not a regular poster.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39551
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:07 pm

Heck, I had to google it this morning so I knew what it was. I've seen them many times but never thought to find out if they had a special name. :oops:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9860
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 06 Dec 2011 9:23 pm

I don't think any newbie would get bashed for this specific question. It does not fit the pattern.

*NiC*
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 6:18 pm

bed.sg

Post by *NiC* » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:28 am

Hello,

reading this I was wondering if anyone of you actually purchased a bed & matress from bed.sg?

We need to get a cheap guest bed and bed.sg has the best "set prices" but feeling bit uncomfortable to buy online here.

Or does anyone have a tip where to get cheap (below SG$500 for the set) beds? I.e. a shop/warehouse where I can have a look at the stuff before buying?

All the shops we have been/found were far too expensive for only a guest bed!

Thx

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Re: bed.sg

Post by BillyB » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:42 am

*NiC* wrote:Hello,

reading this I was wondering if anyone of you actually purchased a bed & matress from bed.sg?

We need to get a cheap guest bed and bed.sg has the best "set prices" but feeling bit uncomfortable to buy online here.

Or does anyone have a tip where to get cheap (below SG$500 for the set) beds? I.e. a shop/warehouse where I can have a look at the stuff before buying?

All the shops we have been/found were far too expensive for only a guest bed!

Thx
Yep, we got a guest bed from beds.sg. It was mega cheap at $300 dollars with the frame and mattress, and surprisingly all our guests comment on how comfy it is! The mattress is a 5 firmness scale I think. Beds.sg will do an exchange if you aren't happy, provided its still in the packaging.

Alternatively, there is a big furniture industrial estate where you can see and try before you buy in Singapore, but I can't for the life of me remember the location - maybe someone else can assist with the name.

I wouldn't stress too much about a guest bed - they are supposed to be uncomfortable so guests don't stay too long!

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Re: bed.sg

Post by nutnut » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:48 am

BillyB wrote:I wouldn't stress too much about a guest bed - they are supposed to be uncomfortable so guests don't stay too long!
+1
nutnut

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests