Singapore Expats

Giving birth in Singapore

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Serendipitysays

Giving birth in Singapore

Post by Serendipitysays » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:23 am

We are a couple of Indian nationality with PR status planning to have our baby in Singapore .

I read that being born in Singapore doesn't mean an automatic citizenship . So how does it work ? Do we have an option for dual citizenship ? Where should we be applying for the baby's passport ?

Would appreciate any information on this..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:32 am

For the passport, you need to contact the local Indian consulate.

Details for citizenship (http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=132):
Eligibility
The following categories of people are eligible to be considered for Singapore Citizenship:
  • A person who is at least 21 years of age and has been a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) for at least 2 to 6 years prior to the date of application. The SPR who wishes to apply on his/her own merits may approach ICA for a preliminary assessment interview to check his/her eligibility for Singapore Citizenship.
    Spouse of Singapore Citizen with a minimum of 2-year residence as a PR and married for at least 2 years preceding the date of application.
    Child born outside Singapore where at least one parent is a Singapore Citizen.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:43 am

It is a bit more complicated:
The Constitution of Singapore:
Citizenship by birth
121. —(1) Subject to this Article, every person born in Singapore after 16th September 1963 shall be a citizen of Singapore by birth.

(2) A person shall not be a citizen of Singapore by virtue of clause (1) if at the time of his birth —

(a) his father, not being a citizen of Singapore, possessed such immunity from suit and legal process as is accorded to an envoy of a sovereign power accredited to the President;

(b) his father was an enemy alien and the birth occurred in a place then under the occupation of the enemy; or

(c) neither of his parents was a citizen of Singapore.

(3) Notwithstanding clause (2) (c), the Government may, where it considers it just and fair and having regard to all the circumstances prevailing at the time of the application, confer citizenship upon a person born in Singapore.
So there is the Clause 3, but I would not count on it here too much.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:47 am

Ah, thanks for digging that out. I would have but (wink-wink).

:cool:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 1:10 pm

But it's probably been 20 years since someone actually was conferred citizenship in that manner. MS made some mention of it a year ago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers