Singapore Expats Forum

What is included in Fixed Monthly Salary?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
looi23

What is included in Fixed Monthly Salary?

Postby looi23 » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 6:35 am

Hello,

May I ask if the accommodation (monthly rental) and the monthly medical insurance paid by an employer is considered as part of a fixed monthly salary?

I'm asking for advise because I would like to request to the employer to apply a dependant pass for my wife (or may I apply dependant pass myself for my wife?), but can only proceed if my fixed monthly salary is $2,800 or more.

My basic salary is $2.5K only and I'm trying to figure out if the employer can declare in the dependant pass application that I'm getting $2.8K fixed monthly salary (basic pay of $2.5K + medical insurance + housing + overtime? + allowance).

Also, if ever I cannot get my wife a dependant pass, is she allowed to apply for any type of long or short term pass, just to be with me even for 3 to 6 months each year?

Thanks!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 7:59 am

Depending on the employment contract itself. Fixed salary as the name suggest is FIXED hence if you go on OT , you will not be paid.
However Basic Salary means the are other perks involved such as OT, car allowance , housing allowance and the likes.
Not sure if housing allowance is taxable or not as some countries do. At the end of the day discuss with your employer if he can accommodate you or not but do not do something dodgy as it might bite you later in the future.
For Social Visit depending on where you are from , you can get either 30 or 90 days. If your wife has a relative here whom is a local or PR , they can sponsor her for LTSVP pass subject to meeting ICA criteria of course
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

looi23

Postby looi23 » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 9:06 am

Thanks for your advise.

I just found today some information after reading around the MOM's website. They said the basic salary does not include housing allowance which means it can be considered as part of fixed salary.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... alary.aspx

Then I also found on the net today: http://www.guidemesingapore.com/taxatio ... -tax-guide
Examples of taxable benefits received from your employer:
Accommodation and housing allowance
Car provided by employer
Reimbursements of medical and dental treatments for dependants other than yourself, your spouse and children
Overtime payments
Per diem allowances (daily allowance given to employees on overseas trips, out of Singapore, for business purposes), provided the amount is in excess of acceptable rates
Fixed monthly allowance for transport or if mileage on private cars are reimbursed
Fixed monthly meal allowance

After reading the above, I now understand that I'm eligible to apply for dependant pass for my wife. It's because my employer provided accommodation which he is paying every month $1800 which means the total of basic of $2.5 and $1.8 housing allowance are fixed monthly salary by the employer.

Unfortunately, I or my wife have no relative in Singapore. If I cannot get her a dependant pass, I guess we can only request for the 30 or 90 days.