Singapore Expats

Cost of Living

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
newsman

Re: Cost of Living

Post by newsman » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:15 pm

Bill T wrote:Hi guys, hope you are all keeping well. I may have the opportunity of relocating to Singapore and wanted to know if $180,000 pa with the usual extras. Is it a good basic package. I’m single and have no dependents. It’s the things like rent and tax etc. Any answers would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards :D

Wow S$180K....A Dream to many in Singapore. Most expensive is Housing.
A Hi End condo 700 sq ft rent is $4K - $5K or a Low End Condo is $2K - $3K as on Dec 2011.

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:22 pm

Where are these low end condo's for $2-$3k? I looked at a three room HDB for $2k last week--two bedrooms and a hall. I also saw an amazing 5 room HDB for $3,200.

newsman

Post by newsman » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 4:32 pm

boffenl wrote:Where are these low end condo's for $2-$3k? I looked at a three room HDB for $2k last week--two bedrooms and a hall. I also saw an amazing 5 room HDB for $3,200.
Look at Loyang, Pasir Ris n Flora Road...where i lives. At Flora Road a 900 sq ft Condo is under $3K. Get yrself a property agent .

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 5:20 pm

Um, thanks for the unsolicited advice. I've been here 5 years and the HDB market is red hot--as is the condo market. I don't think I'd like to see a condo going for $2k--if this is actually what it's renting for and not just the seller giving "face" to each other.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 5:26 pm

boffenl wrote:Um, thanks for the unsolicited advice.

Unsolicited?.... You solicited him and he replied :???:

Interesting to hear that the markets are still hot. I would have thought with the clamping down going on, and the events in the global economy, that things would have started to cool-off by now.

newsman

Post by newsman » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 7:02 pm

JR8 wrote:
boffenl wrote:Um, thanks for the unsolicited advice.

Unsolicited?.... You solicited him and he replied :???:

Interesting to hear that the markets are still hot. I would have thought with the clamping down going on, and the events in the global economy, that things would have started to cool-off by now.
It is OK. This is Public forum. Free to air whatever & let loose.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 7:04 pm

newsman wrote: It is OK. This is Public forum. Free to air whatever & let loose.

That was last week :)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 08 Dec 2011 10:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
newsman wrote: It is OK. This is Public forum. Free to air whatever & let loose.

That was last week :)
Yep, didn't you read the signs? This week it's dictatorial and closed minded :P
nutnut

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Fri, 09 Dec 2011 5:06 pm

We're really happy in our HDB apartment. But I find the fact that folks can get a condo for such a low price amazing--granted we're only looking at HDB's so I know that in our area and the environs you can't touch anything for less than $1600 for a three room (two bedroom) and that would be a GREAT bargain!

I don't need a property agent, thanks I've got one in the family. This was the unsolicited advice I mentioned. I only asked where the condo's were for between $2 and $3k since I haven't seen one for a few years.

Dalia

Post by Dalia » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 1:11 am

boffenl wrote:We're really happy in our HDB apartment. But I find the fact that folks can get a condo for such a low price amazing--granted we're only looking at HDB's so I know that in our area and the environs you can't touch anything for less than $1600 for a three room (two bedroom) and that would be a GREAT bargain!

I don't need a property agent, thanks I've got one in the family. This was the unsolicited advice I mentioned. I only asked where the condo's were for between $2 and $3k since I haven't seen one for a few years.
IDK about 2K but there are some older ones for under $3k like Jurong East/West, 2 bdr no pool. I saw some when we were looking

We ended up in a HDB too, and we like it a lot. I get a lot of strange looks from white expats, but I like my place. Nothing wrong with my neighbors. To tell you the truth, I like like them more than expats :) Some expats, not all, need to learn some manners and respect. But that's not the subject.
Croatia

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 8:17 am

Dalia wrote:We ended up in a HDB too, and we like it a lot. I get a lot of strange looks from white expats, but I like my place. Nothing wrong with my neighbors. To tell you the truth, I like like them more than expats :) Some expats, not all, need to learn some manners and respect. But that's not the subject.
Honey moon syndrome.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 8:24 am

x9200 wrote:
Dalia wrote:We ended up in a HDB too, and we like it a lot. I get a lot of strange looks from white expats, but I like my place. Nothing wrong with my neighbors. To tell you the truth, I like like them more than expats :) Some expats, not all, need to learn some manners and respect. But that's not the subject.
Honey moon syndrome.

:lol:

Give em 6 months, they'll be haters just like the rest lol....

orbita

Post by orbita » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 8:53 am

I used to live in Normanton Park. It's old but you can get a decent flat for under 3.5K. Facilities are standard with security, pool, tennis court.

It has the advantage of sitting next to Kent Ridge park. Great for walks. And the blocks are far apart, making it much less cluttered when compared with new condos.

Dalia

Post by Dalia » Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:09 am

JR8 wrote: :lol:
Give em 6 months, they'll be haters just like the rest lol....
well, I spent last 10 years living among Asian people in the USA. At my husbands work there are fewer and fewer white people, and in a few more year there will be none. So I do know thing or two about Asian people.
There are few things that do bother me, like drying dirty mop over my freshly boiled white laundry, but I don't expect a major U-turn in my view.

:)
Croatia

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:12 am

It's been 5 years for us in an HDB, and I'm certainly still in the honeymoon phase I guess. I feel more at home and part of a community than I have anywhere else I've lived. But we've done our part, attending multi-racial block parties, saying hello! to neighbors, and my daughter attends a local school so through her we know LOTS of folks.

HDB is a very local experience, if that's not what you're looking for--then HDB will be a drag and you'll turn into a hater.