Singapore Expats Forum

EPEC obtained - upgrading to PEP recommended?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
cvdmum

EPEC obtained - upgrading to PEP recommended?

Postby cvdmum » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 4:43 am

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and, having read a good few before joining in, I thought I'd take the plunge and ask a few questions of my own! Apologies in advance for the long post!

My husband and I are planning on relocating to Singapore in early/mid 2012 with our baby. I'm not planning on working just yet as our baby is relatively young and I'd like to stay with him at first. My husband is planning on finding a job as soon as we arrive as agents haven't been forthcoming while he is still in the UK.

My husband has applied and obtained an EPEC and will apply for a LTVP when we arrive. He qualifies for a PEP but, because we're not in Singapore yet, he couldn't apply for it from here (no SingPass account). So I have a few questions...

1) Is there any point/advantage in him applying/upgrading to a PEP when he arrives? Is that even possible/allowed?

2) What sort of visa should I try to get for me and our baby? Will I be granted a LTVP if my husband is a job seeker?

3) Do you recommend using a relocation agent? If so, are there any you'd recommend contacting in particular?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EPEC obtained - upgrading to PEP recommended?

Postby JR8 » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 5:36 am

cvdmum wrote:So I have a few questions...

Hi CVD
Others know way more than me about answering #1, so I shan't waste my breath.

2) What sort of visa should I try to get for me and our baby? Will I be granted a LTVP if my husband is a job seeker?

Unless I am very much mistaken you and your baby would not be entitled to any residency visa, simply on the basis of your husband having an LTVP.

3) Do you recommend using a relocation agent? If so, are there any you'd recommend contacting in particular?

In general terms no. They are expensive, generally really quite crap, and really do nothing that you cannot yourself. Especially when you have a forum of expertise like this to lean on :)

My immediate advice. Explore your #1, the PEP route.

Thanks in advance for your advice! :D

cvdmum

Postby cvdmum » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 5:51 am

Thanks very much for your reply, I'll await to hear back on the PEP question!

In the meantime, I thought I'd clarify my second question re. the visa for myself.
What I meant was, will I be granted a LTVP just because my husband has one or should I just enter on a regular tourist visa and keep leaving/coming back until my husband gets a job? I'm hoping I'll only have to do this once! :wink:

Another question! Are there any middle of the range serviced appartments? The only ones I have found so far are in excess of SGD 250 and we'd like to spend a bit less if possible.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:06 am

cvdmum wrote:Thanks very much for your reply, I'll await to hear back on the PEP question!

In the meantime, I thought I'd clarify my second question re. the visa for myself.
What I meant was, will I be granted a LTVP just because my husband has one or should I just enter on a regular tourist visa and keep leaving/coming back until my husband gets a job? I'm hoping I'll only have to do this once! :wink:

Well, you won't get an LTVP leveraged off your husband.
Border-running (visa runs) is IMHO not a sound starting point. Rather I think you need to start-out with a sound basis, and then if all else fails then rely on an SVP and some prolonged and extensive traveling [cough].

Another question! Are there any middle of the range serviced appartments? The only ones I have found so far are in excess of SGD 250 and we'd like to spend a bit less if possible.

Do a search on it (top right) as it has been discussed and there are a few around. Otherwise as you say Serviced Apartments are pretty much the same cost as full blown hotels...

cvdmum

Postby cvdmum » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:34 am

Thanks again for your reply! I've had a look at the Serviced Apartments and the LMB Housing ones look like they might be the ones to go for.

Re. my visa, I agree that I shouldn't arrive on a tourist visa if I'm wanting to relocate here, but what visa should I apply for when I arrive?

Feeling a bit nervous about the relocation now, but excited!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:36 am

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate

Following a review, the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC) scheme would be discontinued from 1 December 2011. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will no longer accept any applications or appeals from that date.

All EPECs already issued would remain valid until their expiry. Within the validity period of the EPEC, the EPEC holder would continue to be eligible to apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) from the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). In general, a non-renewable three-month LTVP would be issued.

For further queries, please refer to our FAQs or contact the MOM Contact Centre at +65 6438 5122.

There is a big difference between EPEC and PEP as above stated
EPEC has been discontinued as of today
If you read thru at www.mom.gov.sg website you can see the diff. SMS will be the one that can provide more insight on this

I will touch on your next question
You will get standard bog visa 90 day SVP while hubby find job as he will be under LTSVP. You can get LTSVP or DP once he can get a job and the employer apply DP for both you and child

Personally I would not advise the three of you to jump over without anything secure. Hubby go first and look for job while you stay in UK. This will definitely keep the cost down. While you cannot put up in a rental apartment as you do not have a vaild visa apart from SVP which basically entitles you to put up in a hotel, Service Apartment or back packers accommodation. Either way will be tough on the pocket and family.
Remember jobs are hard to come by and hubby needs to put something that the local cannot offer. The employers are enecourage to employ local first and with the tax incentives etc... given, hubby will be for a rough times to secure a job
If you insist on going over with him , travel light.
The way I see it is hubby got nothing secured and you guys are making a big jump with nothing to fall back and things are not that cheap down in SG.
I maybe wrong in my view based on your post.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:44 am

Mad Scientist wrote:EPEC has been discontinued as of today

Holy!!!! :o :o :o :shock:

cvdmum

Postby cvdmum » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 6:46 am

Thanks for that, Mad Scientist. Interesting about the EPEC being discontinued. My husband was issued his a couple of weeks ago so that's not an issue. I understand that the PEP allows my husband to apply for a dependent's pass for me and our baby which is what attracts us to apply for that, my question was more around whether it's possible for him to get one if he already has the EPEC?

With regards to us going over there with no job, believe me my husband has tried to get a job from here but agents won't help him until he has moved - hence why we are moving! He's been told that he'll easily get a job and his position is on the list of the ones in demand so we're positive.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 8:29 am

With regards to us going over there with no job, believe me my husband has tried to get a job from here but agents won't help him until he has moved - hence why we are moving! He's been told that he'll easily get a job and his position is on the list of the ones in demand so we're positive.

If it is an "in demand job" and you're looking at a P1 visa, then I think the agents are BS'ing you.

Please understand that the EPEC is NO GUARANTEE that he'll get a visa, even if he gets a job. When he gets a job then the employer will apply for a work visa - along with your dependent passes. There is no difference at this time between the P1 visa and PEP visa. At any time he can apply for the PEP visa and approval is just about automatic.

While you are waiting you can probably apply for a long term visit pass - assuming that you can prove adequate resources.

He can go the other way which is apply for a PEP from overseas - he needs a local address though. He will then get an inprincipal approval letter and the visa will be issued when he arrives in SG and you will have your dependents pass.

I agree with MS - don't pack up your life and the kids until your husband knows what he is doing. If it is "that easy to find a job" then it shouldn't be a long time and at least you still have the support of family and friends. Its easy enough to join him a bit later (and will take a while for his visa to be processed so he can pop home to help you move).[/quote]

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 9:19 am

Hi,

Let your husband come to Spore first, ask him to apply LTVP for job seek and start seeking job at same time. Once he got a job, wait until his employer apply his EP and your and child's DPs successfully then you come. Recently, quite number of people rejected for EP by various reasons, so play SAFE first. Good luck!

Btw, if he's eligible for PEP, ask him to come to Spore and apply PEP first, then he'll able to apply LTVP for you and child regardless of getting a job. But pls note that he has only 6 months being unemployed under PEP.
Last edited by vnpan on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Be or Not To Be

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 9:22 am

I would just like to add to this, having already had a few jobs in Singapore and having spoken to a number of people in the same boat.

Employment processes can take ages here. HR slow things right down (sorry SMS) and if you are a Foreigner looking at a salary in the range of a PEP in SG then a lot of companies need to justify the additional cost. I will say that 3 months is not an unreasonable amount of time to go through the recruitment process in SG.

The best thing that your husband can do is find someone interested, after the first interview, push hard to get the rest through and get in. Otherwise you'll be waiting a long time! The LTVP will be done very quickly.

Oh and don't rely on Agencies over here, use them, fine, but also apply for the companies directly, you will get a better response doing this!

Good luck, there are jobs around, what business is your hubby in out of interest?
nutnut

cvdmum

Postby cvdmum » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 5:01 pm

Yikes! Lots of extremely cautious advice, thanks for that guys.

Don't want to sound naive but at the end of the day we either take the plunge or we don't. If it doesn't work out then we'll have had a few months off in a beautiful part of the world, if it does then we'll have done what we wanted to do.

My husband is a financial controller so not tied to any industry in particular which is a bonus I guess. Completely agree that he shouldn't just rely on agents, he's seen a lot of jobs advertised privately and has applied, but again, without physically being there, noone will give him an interview.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 8:25 am

CEOs , CFOs , FCOs is a dime in a dozen in SG. Usually it is hired by head hunters here and usually from word of mouth recommendation.
If you have the juice and there is no time pressure during your stay here than look for other alternatives like setting up a business here.
www.acra.gov.sg
This will expedite EP pass easier

Good Luck with your endeavour
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!