Singapore Expats Forum

investment banking IT prospects

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 9:27 pm

you couldn't read thru clearly before blurting out so for you ... it's duh!

you are hopeless too in judging peep's age:P

as for this FT indian ... i wonder what is the meaning of FT? does it include the definition of someone who takes so many off days for really petty reasons? or does it just incl a broader definition of that 'i am indian therefore i am A foreign TALENT'

JR8 wrote:Ah, you were quoting a friend? Your natural superiority complex has got to be taking a beating working for an FT, and an Indian no less. OMG!

Still, your style of writing reveals your tender age so no doubt you'll learn that you've got no choice but to suck it up.

Enjoy! :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 9:32 pm

You write English like a teenager. Is that not the case?

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 9:35 pm

you are arguing for the sake of arguing. I rest my case.


JR8 wrote:You write English like a teenager. Is that not the case?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:14 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:And get your message across right before blabbering on like some demented fool. yr article talks about ppl thinking that dubai's heaven. look at the article and tell me which migrant from anywhere going to rich countries will face any kind of harrowing experience. and talk about ppl who claim they have great businesses back home but threw it all away for dubai.

it's a fact that indians don't get the top jobs in dubai. do you have an article to back this up? it's only in singa-bloodypore that this happens coz of the great kow-tow to the investors. why do i always hear from another indian who brags about being an aussie or brit born and bred but 'i am an expat in singapore' and then applies for pr, leaves a coupla years later and withdraws their savings along with it. gimme a break. them indians whether they are brit or aussie born and bred just can not get a job in the country from where they proudly wave their passports in the air!


Now, now .. if you read carefully, I was only going on your question of why indians are not congregating in ME, not about top jobs, and my link was to say that Indians Are NOT IN THE TOP JOBS, but lesser educated but .. never mind - the 'others' are in the top but, managing the really hard working Indians ... if I am to believe those who have lived in Dubai and worked there, as well as any of the articles on Dubai is to be believed .

Kow tow ? waahaaaaaaaa .... where did that come from ?? Wowwwwww

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:16 pm

you are arguing for the sake of arguing. I rest my case.


sweetgazebo,

You are right in as much as I'm not an Indian. However, I've been married to one for over 27 years. I do take offense, not at what you said, but the way you say it. It's pong is like racism, pure & simple. I have no idea of either your age or your ethnicity, but whatever the case may be, your mode of attack, is to my thinking, very immature and smells like a vendetta. Almost like you lost out to an Indian once or several times due to their ability to talk circles around a lot of people. Whether I am right or wrong is immaterial, but that is how you come across.

However, frankly, I would have to agree with the above quote in this instance.

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:35 pm

i'd initially followed on from BillyB's quote of 'IT are usually run by socially and financially inept muppets who manage to botch everything they get their hands on. They couldn't manage a hot dinner, and take 4 times as long as a project should do to guarantee themselves a job' because and yes, i was reporting to one inept muppet who happens to be an indian.

i kept an open mind the last coupla months to give them indians the benefit of the doubt that they are not liars or political peeps but i have just come to the point that them indians i have come across in this IT department i was in, have proved me right. it angers me further that these indians talk bad or look down on a country like singapore ('boring country', boring people', etc, etc) or that 'india is great', 'india has got cultured peeps', etc, etc, yet it's ironic they are here working in Singapore.

i have no ill-intent towards the Singapore or Másian indians. In fact, i find the local indians more cultured and polite than the ones who just arrived onto Singapore shores

sundaymorningstaple wrote:sweetgazebo,

You are right in as much as I'm not an Indian. However, I've been married to one for over 27 years. I do take offense, not at what you said, but the way you say it. It's pong is like racism, pure & simple. I have no idea of either your age or your ethnicity, but whatever the case may be, your mode of attack, is to my thinking, very immature and smells like a vendetta. Almost like you lost out to an Indian once or several times due to their ability to talk circles around a lot of people. Whether I am right or wrong is immaterial, but that is how you come across.

However, frankly, I would have to agree with the above quote in this instance.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:36 am

sweetgazebo wrote: ....


well, you know .. life is not always fair .. when I started working, I was in a telecom service company, and my immediate superior didn''t know how to calculate distribution patterns. His only qualification was he was my then boss' pet .. and an Aussie .. and he had worked for CNN during the GW1 .. (I ddin't ask him what he did with Peter Arnett .. or whether he was just the boom-mike guy .. )

The next job ? Well, it too was a telecom company, I had a Brit, who didn't know how to work on intermediate frequencies, and invert the ranges, and will make me work out and then not a mention about my efforts .. when he loudly claims that the problem was solved and we are getting the 'feed' .. he had this magic-cheet-sheet, and if something is beyond that frequency, he will be lost ..

and then you know what happened ? I got plugged into a sat com company, and we were doing fixed C Band systems. I had no clue how the parabolic antenna gain calculations for each downlink was and my workers, none of them who could speak english, were the ones who were doing the raw cuts, measurements and all, and once it is finished, I switch on my Spectrum Analyser and I never failed to get 90% or higher reception at the Block converter on a clear day.

And my then big boss, a very technical guy, once casually asked me how we work out the figures, and I gave him a deer-in-the-headlight look .. and he smiled and told me "you are the manager because you know english. If the workers knew english, you would be the one working for them' .. well, my exposure was purely On the job, and with zero technical exposure .. and my workers were purely hands-on guys, but cannot do a proper sales pitch and get the deal closed. Oh, and I was wearing tie, while my workers were in work overall .. and I was placed there as a temporary manager while the above scene happened ..

Then in my next crash landed job, I was figuring out HVAC, and same: my supervisor was there because he has been there for centuries, and for simple HVAC calculations, he tended to over-spec and run over budget. Only when I figured out that he had no clue did I understand why a 36,000 BTU need was boosted to 48,000 BTU requirement, simply because the man didn't know what was the actual need, airflow etc. .. I did learn how to work out the numbers and to watch for air-flow etc .. and in more than half the installations, preceeding my time, I realised that should somebody do certification, it would have failed miserably .. forget fire safety standards ..

And sometime ago, I met a mid-level chief in a private bank (no, not Indian .. ) .. and he was claiming to be a hands-on boss .. and often posts on his facebook that he often attended Oracle courses, and is claiming to be a Oracle Database Master ..

And seriously, and not to offend him, I asked him how generally they manage Oracle partitions .. and he was like "I don't know- my guys take care of it" and he went on to say that he is a a "AVP" and he doesn't need to know such trivial stuff .. the crux of the matter is .. my question was more on a general nature .. about overall infrastructure .. who, as an AVP, in charge of his SME - should know .. or so I thought .. guess where he is now, one year later ? He is back in his native land, a country where average temperature year around didn't go beyond 20 degree C .. and claims to have decided to 'take a break from work' ... the only qualification that his engineers were saying is that he worked for his 'national bank' .. whatever that meant .. (I would have not been in such awe, if he had got out of his situation by claiming secrecy clause and all .. but .. .. )

You know what I mean .. ?? So, sometimes you are put in places, where your supervisor know lesser than you or is clueless. Oh well, he is there for x, y or z reason .. and if they can warm the seat for longer period .. they know something that you don't know .. which could be stuff like 'give the management what they want' or ... plain 'keep the deck clean and the crew in line and no revolt on board' ..

so either you suck it up and pull your pants and work, or buzz off .. no, that is not a pro-indian defence here (as you are constantly insinuating, when an alternate view is presented.. ) .. and .. I am merely stating the facts of corporate life ..

And, oh, well .. that's all I was gonna say .. you can infer whatever you want from it ..

Have a wonderful day .. :)




And .. I was just thinking, wouldn't you have some originality and started a new thread, instead of hijacking another thread ??:D :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:12 pm

Hey squirrel, you been drinking ksl's vinegar? :wink:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 1:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey squirrel, you been drinking ksl's vinegar? :wink:


ha ha .. I could never match KSL's flow :D :D

Just had a bit of 'seasonal' spirit here .. ;) ;)

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

investment banking IT prospects

Postby sweetgazebo » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 1:13 pm

Still here?! don't you think your byes are long gone stale?

BTW i'd originally started this thread until you popped your sarcarstic head in with no clue as to what is going on nor no clue as to what you are talking about. Seems your response one after another is way off from the original topic.

further to one of your another as usual way off response below, i will just add my last 1 cent's reply:

i used to manage a team of people in the past. i was not always competent in all the skills or technologies required on the job nor was i that experienced. This, I have been told by my colleagues, peers and the very people who report to me. Nevertheless, when (1) I get an ill comment on one of my team member from another manager, I do not embarrass this person and shoot them down and reduce them to nothings. Instead, i pull them into a room, tell them what has been going on and help them in improving the situation for him / her. When that's done, i will do the follow up meetings to ensure this person and myself are on track from the last meeting we had. (2) When I share wrong information with my team and I get a comment from my team that it's the wrong information, I accept it gracefully and admit it is my mistake. I make sure I don't repeat this mistake ever again. I don't, instead, turn around to my team member who told me it's wrong information, say 'there's no way I could have made that mistake. Are you sure I shared that wrong information with yourself? Please check if you are the one who made that mistake instead?' Still on scenario (2), if that same wrong information has been shared with another manager and that manager then asked me why is the wrong information been passed on from this team member of yours, I don't turn around and tell the manager, 'well, please excuse my team member. he does not know what he's doing. He's got confused from the last meeting we had and despite countless times of pointing him to the right information or right way of doing things he's still not able to get it right'! I would instead apologize to the manager for the wrong information and ensure that this will not be repeated again rather than shooting my own team down in front of this manager. (3)If one of my team member is struggling with an issue with one of the other project managers on the ground, and he's copied me in the email I don't turn around and scold that team member and tell them off for copying me in the email with the following, 'why is there the need to copy me in the email? in fact, why is there a need at all to email?!' Following on from that email my team member had send out, I then personally follow up with the project manager concerned and shoot my team member in this email and hint that they are good for nothing. I next tell my team member that since he's burned his bridges, he's on his own to fix up that damage! Instead, I will sit this team member of mine down and ask what is the issue. I will need to understand what are the issues that this team member of mine is having with the project manager and then have a close door meeting with the project manager, my team member and myself. After all I want what's best for my team.

There are so many more examples that I can go on about on this incompetent, inept person i was reporting to.

A manager may not be necessarily good in all skills or technology BUT the most thing that a manager has to show by example is his actions and attitude. A manager leads and manages a team. If he's constantly shooting down and reducing his team members to nothing, then his team will have no morale at the end of the day. When a team has no morale at the end of the day, the team ceases to exist for a good cause in the organisation.

Ineptness of this person is one matter but what greatly angers me is his degradation of the very country who gave him a job and PR. he goes on about how pathetic the people in this country are and then goes on about how great and brilliant india and the indians are. yet at one point i asked him why does he not want to go back to india to work he responded that he wouldn't be paid as well as where he is today and still afford a house in a shorter time frame compared to his india-based peers.

If you were an inept or incompetent migrant to singapore, that's fine but don't degrade the country and its people who gave you your very first job with a handsome salary (which you are not deservant in the first place) otherwise you are nothing more than just slime.

Anyway, i have gone slightly off topic here. i meant to highlight what billyb had originally mentioned and agree with him that the peeps who work in the bank are inept and will do anything to keep their job. in this case the person i was reporting to was an incompetent in addition to so many off days he takes for irrelevant petty reasons. Amazingly he's still in the job and was told politics is the reason why.

Oh BTW, aren't you really bored out of your wits just responding one thread after another or are you really desperately lonely in the office with nothing else to do? :)

ecureilx wrote:
sweetgazebo wrote: ....


well, you know .. life is not always fair .. when I started working, I was in a telecom service company, and my immediate superior didn''t know how to calculate distribution patterns. His only qualification was he was my then boss' pet .. and an Aussie .. and he had worked for CNN during the GW1 .. (I ddin't ask him what he did with Peter Arnett .. or whether he was just the boom-mike guy .. )

The next job ? Well, it too was a telecom company, I had a Brit, who didn't know how to work on intermediate frequencies, and invert the ranges, and will make me work out and then not a mention about my efforts .. when he loudly claims that the problem was solved and we are getting the 'feed' .. he had this magic-cheet-sheet, and if something is beyond that frequency, he will be lost ..

and then you know what happened ? I got plugged into a sat com company, and we were doing fixed C Band systems. I had no clue how the parabolic antenna gain calculations for each downlink was and my workers, none of them who could speak english, were the ones who were doing the raw cuts, measurements and all, and once it is finished, I switch on my Spectrum Analyser and I never failed to get 90% or higher reception at the Block converter on a clear day.

And my then big boss, a very technical guy, once casually asked me how we work out the figures, and I gave him a deer-in-the-headlight look .. and he smiled and told me "you are the manager because you know english. If the workers knew english, you would be the one working for them' .. well, my exposure was purely On the job, and with zero technical exposure .. and my workers were purely hands-on guys, but cannot do a proper sales pitch and get the deal closed. Oh, and I was wearing tie, while my workers were in work overall .. and I was placed there as a temporary manager while the above scene happened ..

Then in my next crash landed job, I was figuring out HVAC, and same: my supervisor was there because he has been there for centuries, and for simple HVAC calculations, he tended to over-spec and run over budget. Only when I figured out that he had no clue did I understand why a 36,000 BTU need was boosted to 48,000 BTU requirement, simply because the man didn't know what was the actual need, airflow etc. .. I did learn how to work out the numbers and to watch for air-flow etc .. and in more than half the installations, preceeding my time, I realised that should somebody do certification, it would have failed miserably .. forget fire safety standards ..

And sometime ago, I met a mid-level chief in a private bank (no, not Indian .. ) .. and he was claiming to be a hands-on boss .. and often posts on his facebook that he often attended Oracle courses, and is claiming to be a Oracle Database Master ..

And seriously, and not to offend him, I asked him how generally they manage Oracle partitions .. and he was like "I don't know- my guys take care of it" and he went on to say that he is a a "AVP" and he doesn't need to know such trivial stuff .. the crux of the matter is .. my question was more on a general nature .. about overall infrastructure .. who, as an AVP, in charge of his SME - should know .. or so I thought .. guess where he is now, one year later ? He is back in his native land, a country where average temperature year around didn't go beyond 20 degree C .. and claims to have decided to 'take a break from work' ... the only qualification that his engineers were saying is that he worked for his 'national bank' .. whatever that meant .. (I would have not been in such awe, if he had got out of his situation by claiming secrecy clause and all .. but .. .. )

You know what I mean .. ?? So, sometimes you are put in places, where your supervisor know lesser than you or is clueless. Oh well, he is there for x, y or z reason .. and if they can warm the seat for longer period .. they know something that you don't know .. which could be stuff like 'give the management what they want' or ... plain 'keep the deck clean and the crew in line and no revolt on board' ..

so either you suck it up and pull your pants and work, or buzz off .. no, that is not a pro-indian defence here (as you are constantly insinuating, when an alternate view is presented.. ) .. and .. I am merely stating the facts of corporate life ..

And, oh, well .. that's all I was gonna say .. you can infer whatever you want from it ..

Have a wonderful day .. :)




And .. I was just thinking, wouldn't you have some originality and started a new thread, instead of hijacking another thread ??:D :D

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: investment banking IT prospects

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 1:43 pm

sweetgazebo wrote:BTW i'd originally started this thread until you popped your sarcarstic head in with no clue as to what is going on nor no clue as to what you are talking about. Seems your response one after another is way off from the original topic.


No, you didn't start this thread :) You hijacked this thread :) and gone off track from what was the original thread about to venting your pure anger against a specific race ...

Oh BTW, aren't you really bored out of your wits just responding one thread after another or are you really desperately lonely in the office with nothing else to do? :)


Ah, err .. mmm .. I am just doing what you are doing .. :) but with a smile and amused with your ranting and raving, and oh, with a positive attitude, than your hell-has-frozen-over temper ....

oh, wait, you meant, I am replying to your "POST" and not "THREAD" sorry .. I am a newbie when it comes to forums and am pretty confused ... .. between, threads and posts and all in between ..

Apologies, if at all that makes you happy .... !!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Re: investment banking IT prospects

Postby sweetgazebo » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 1:48 pm

just realised only after shooting my last response, so agree.
ecureilx wrote:
No, you didn't start this thread :) You hijacked this thread :) and gone off track from what was the original thread about to venting your pure anger against a specific race ...

no need for apologies. i was merely giving my opinion. i guess we were both on the same communication wave length - sarcarsm and all :)


Apologies, if at all that makes you happy .... !!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 3:13 pm

Why don't you two just get a room...... :cool:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 28 Dec 2011 3:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why don't you two just get a room...... :cool:



nope .. All Quite in the Western Front :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest