Singapore Expats Forum

Scuba Diving

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Scuba Diving

Postby farlene » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 9:13 am

Time for a lifestyle change.
less drinking and no more Twilight.
so was thinking Scuba diving for a change.

I've never done it before so if anyone could kindly enlighten me please?
Any recommendations which organisation/company offer good rates / lessons / classes?
Anyone else interested?

"Count me in..." or "i'm interested" does not count.

Thank you.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 9:16 am

It's a fun sport, that certainly takes you to some interesting places.

Q1. Can you swim, and have you tried snorkeling?
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 9:16 am

That has been brought up several times already; SMS, carteki, JR8, I and countless others have chimed in. That said, you can look for NAUI and PADI with the search function (you can also add "open water" and "certification" into the mix).

alberttse
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri, 04 Nov 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby alberttse » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:33 am

I got a PADI open water. I think lots of friends here also got it even higher level.

Yea~ Should organize a diving trip somedays later!
=)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:34 am

alberttse wrote:I got a PADI open water. I think lots of friends here also got it even higher level.

Yea~ Should organize a diving trip somedays later!



Er, what does this mean? :???:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:01 pm

I feel sooooo bad. I've only got a NAUI "Basic Diver" rating. :cool:

Of course I got in in 1976 an worked as a commercial diver as well from the mid '70s to the early /90s. I've been scuba diving since around 1965 till today. I've probably done most of the different types of diving that you can get rated for (the big exception being technical diving on scuba). Plus I was a certified blaster as well (federal license). Seems like organizations like PADI are only in it to see how much they can dive into your pockets. You can have it. My NAUI certification has served me well for 35 years. :wink:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:12 pm

I just think someone else should organise something.

Here's my e-mail....[xyz] over to you.... hit me!



Waaaaaaah! Hit me hit me! Tell me what you want! [is this ok, it's late lol]

Here is my contact [abc] I'll SMS or something when I can't make it.

Cool

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I feel sooooo bad. I've only got a NAUI "Basic Diver" rating. :cool:

Of course I got in in 1976 an worked as a commercial diver as well from the mid '70s to the early /90s. I've been scuba diving since around 1965 till today. I've probably done most of the different types of diving that you can get rated for (the big exception being technical diving on scuba). Plus I was a certified blaster as well (federal license). Seems like organizations like PADI are only in it to see how much they can dive into your pockets. You can have it. My NAUI certification has served me well for 35 years. :wink:


Gramps, you're most of the time, the exception to the rule! You're a personification on why P1 passes don't require academic achievement.

:P

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:24 pm

yes to both questions.


JR8 wrote:It's a fun sport, that certainly takes you to some interesting places.

Q1. Can you swim, and have you tried snorkeling?

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:31 pm

I've been meaning to ask you guys about this. I was never much interested in diving until I heard y'all talking about it. As a kid/teenager I took lots of swimming lessons, and in the more advanced classes we did dives in the pool up to maybe 5m and the pressure in my ears was extremely painful. As we were just going down to grab rubber rings for lifesaving type exercises, it didn't have too many positive aspects to balance out the pain so I've never considered it again until now. My question: is this normal to experience pain at a relatively shallow depth? During my teens I had chronic sinus infections so I suspect this may have had something to do with the pain. Do some people have ear/eustachian anatomy ill suited to diving, or can this be overcome?

**Apologies if this is all very ignorant sounding :-P

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:32 pm

I asked a very simple question so if there's anyone out there kind enough to help me out that would be great.

I haven't an inkling what PADI / whatever else that has been said means hence the request for help.

I've searched the forums and no one has talked about scuba lately.

so i shall repeat my questions:-

1. Any recommendations which organisation/company offer good rates / lessons / classes?
2. Anyone else interested?

That's all.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:50 pm

Should be able to find all you need here:

http://scubasg.com/index.php

The following will give you a list of the various certification agencies worldwide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuba_divi ... n_agencies

sms

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 1:46 pm

Thank you for your kind assistance SMS. much obliged.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Should be able to find all you need here:

http://scubasg.com/index.php

The following will give you a list of the various certification agencies worldwide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuba_divi ... n_agencies

sms

User avatar
farlene
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun, 20 Jul 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby farlene » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 1:48 pm

I will get information and sign myself up for lessons.
if anyone else is interested, please let me know.
i'll let you have the details and you can either join me or do sign up yourself at your own convenience.

Farlene

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 2:02 pm

SMS - you're too kind ...

farlene wrote:I asked a very simple question so if there's anyone out there kind enough to help me out that would be great.

I haven't an inkling what PADI / whatever else that has been said means hence the request for help.


You haven't bothered to even do a simple web search then.

I've searched the forums and no one has talked about scuba lately.


Actually, I answered a question on diving yesterday....

2. Anyone else interested?


This seems to contradict the start of your post... where you said ...

"Count me in..." or "i'm interested" does not count.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “30's Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest