Singapore Expats Forum

What to do next if permission to enter Singapore rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:13 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Ah, makes good sense. Thanks. This is an even more ridiculous reasoning on their part than I originally thought; that the gahmen didn't want locals falling in love with and marrying sex workers from PRC. :p

Interesting thought, but wouldn't happen. Those sex workers don't want an uneducated local guy. They want the guy's Ah Peck! Once they milk dry the Ah Peck's retirement they leave him and move to another to milk dry the CPF account. :wink:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 4:05 am

zzm9980 wrote:Ah, makes good sense. Thanks. This is an even more ridiculous reasoning on their part than I originally thought; that the gahmen didn't want locals falling in love with and marrying sex workers from PRC. :p

I disagree with your assumption. Are you assuming all or almost all PRC whom arrive here are sex workers?
That is abit stretch coming from you if this is so. Yes, there alot of bad apples but that does not mean all the apples are bad.
There are those genuinely did get married to locals and set their roots here.
The issue here is micro managing the situation which can be a bad thing when the local tend to rely on the gahmen to do all the legworks.
Social integration and management is not easy and there is no magic bullet per se. One cure for a country can be a poison to another. Name me one country that has a magic bullet on this issue.
To be fair , it is all about supply and demand
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 1:49 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
I disagree with your assumption. Are you assuming all or almost all PRC whom arrive here are sex workers?

No, I'm not assuming or implying that "all or almost all" who arrive from PRC work in that "industry". What I meant more so was the inverse; that most "professionals" here are probably from PRC (along with Thailand and a few other SE asia countries).

When I originally asked the question, I really thought "work permit" as mentioned in this thread was a polite way to discuss someone who had a license to legally worked in Geylang. I could understand "no marriage to a local" as a condition to receiving a permit that type of work. Extending it so broadly just seems... well, whatever. I guess I just don't understand why it needs to be "micro managed" like you said. But it doesn't apply to me so not a big deal. Again my original question was just about the term above, and the rest was my opinion. I'll be more careful to not express it next time :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 7:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:When I originally asked the question, I really thought "work permit" as mentioned in this thread was a polite way to discuss someone who had a license to legally worked in Geylang.

Well.... [genuine lol]

Nice one ZZM :lol: