Singapore Expats Forum

PEPs expiring in early 2012

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

PEPs expiring in early 2012

Postby metroguy » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 9:58 am

Hi All,

As it's coming close to 5 years since PEPs were introduced, I'm wondering whether those initial PEP holders received any letters to become PRs/Citizens or apply for EPs as PEP is not renewable.

My PEP expires in early Mar'12. I'm unsure of whether to leave SG or apply for EP. My other colleague on PEP, also a member of Sr.Mgmt, decided to leave SG for his home country, Australia, as his PEP also expires in Mar'12.

So far, all I received was a survey for long term(>10 years) EP holders.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
MG
It's in my blood. B(e) Positive.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: PEPs expiring in early 2012

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:10 am

metroguy wrote:Hi All,

As it's coming close to 5 years since PEPs were introduced, I'm wondering whether those initial PEP holders received any letters to become PRs/Citizens or apply for EPs as PEP is not renewable.

My PEP expires in early Mar'12. I'm unsure of whether to leave SG or apply for EP. My other colleague on PEP, also a member of Sr.Mgmt, decided to leave SG for his home country, Australia, as his PEP also expires in Mar'12.

So far, all I received was a survey for long term(>10 years) EP holders.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
MG

You have two options

1. Reapply for EP through your employer after PEP expires
2. Apply PR and stay long term in SG

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:38 am

He may well only have ONE option, Long Term EP <10 years. They may well not be offering PR to PEP holders since the GE. Or, they may be being more selective now, hence being sent only a survey/application for long term EP which is one way of saying you are welcome to work here, but you've had 5 years to make up you mind and didn't, therefore the 2nd option is no longer available. Hmmm..... :-k

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: PEPs expiring in early 2012

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:33 pm

metroguy wrote:Hi All,

My PEP expires in early Mar'12. I'm unsure of whether to leave SG or apply for EP.

MG

FWIW, I was in a similar position, with regards to my PEP expiring in April next year. I assumed that there would be no 'automatic' process for a transition to PR, or back to an EP, so in June I submitted an application for PR. Four months later I was delighted to find out that the PR was approved.

SMS, I'm not sure that your comment about "having 5 years to make up your mind" is altogether fair. At the time I was invited to apply for the PEP it suited my situation perfectly; it was some time after obtaining the PEP that we became certain we definitely wanted to remain in Singapore for the indefinite future. I do agree with your comments elsewhere that PR is meant to be for people who want to commit for the long term, hence we only applied for that once we were sure it was what we really intended (intend) to do. Applying sooner, just to 'collect' a PR would have been a bit cynical IMO.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:46 pm

You "may well" notice that I prefaced my comments with "may well" which, in most cases I'm aware of, generally is speculation. Therefore my comments were not to be construed to facts. As far as fair? Well, if you have had 4years and 6 months to figure it out. Then to me the taking up PR at that point are telling me that one waited till the last minute in order to buy as much time as possible. But obviously I may be wrong or you may well be blowing smoke as the "injured" party. As I said, a lot of thought processes have changed in the halls of ICA since the May GE. And, they are still changing.

Speculation. But something for all to think about, neh?

metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby metroguy » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 1:34 pm

I need to clarify here. I haven't received an application for a Long Term EP. What I received was a simple online survey to collect some feedback from those who have been living in SG for more than 10 years, but still haven't taken up permanent residency.

The questions were around my experiences living in SG and probable plans of staying further in SG for 5 more years.

As rightly mentioned, PR is for those who intend to reside permanently, which I am not. For the record, I've been living here since 1999. I could've taken up PR if I wanted live here for good.

I would've left SG by now, if not for the recent promotion and also the new car I changed just days before getting Australian PR grant letter. I'm still unable to get rid of the car even though COE almost doubled since then.

As I am working on an important piece of work, which would benefit both the company and add great credentials to my profile, I'm still sticking it out here for another couple of years here.

Let's see what the future holds for me and the rest of PEP holders. :D

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 1:39 pm

SMS, my main reason for posting was to let the OP know that (AFAIK) there is no 'automatic' transition process from PEP to EP or PR; i.e. you have to apply for whatever is most appropriate yourself. But if I'm wrong on that point I'm sure someone will correct me.

I see your point about waiting till the last minute of the PEP validity, which I assume is referring to the OP. In fairness to him, he did state that he's considering "whether to leave SG or apply for EP" - no specific mention of an intention to apply for PR.

In our case, we had in fact decided we wanted to apply for PR some time before we actually did. Two things made us delay the actual application process - first of all we thought it best to wait until we had lived here for a significant number of years. Secondly, rightly or wrongly we were under the impression that it would be better to wait until after the GE. At the end of the day I don't know whether that was a correct assumption, but we just wanted to have the best chance of success.

No intention to blow smoke, and I don't consider myself as an injured party, just wanted to help the OP and also put forward an alternative viewpoint on waiting before applying for PR.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 1:49 pm

metroguy, I posted my reply above before I saw your latest post. I'm definitely not an expert on this subject and the likes of SMS, MS, et al are far better qualified to give advice, but from what I've read on this board I'd have thought your best bet would be to ask your employer to apply for a standard EP for the remainder of your employment here.

Hats off to you for being honest about your intentions and not just going for a PR, as some others have been known to do in similar circumstances.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 2:03 pm

^^^^^
+1

metroguy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby metroguy » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Amigo & SMS!