Singapore Expats Forum

Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:39 pm

movingtospore wrote:In SP I kept getting calls from the Philippines and/or India trying to tell me their was something wrong with my computer that needed immediate rescuing. Immediate hang ups of course as soon as I asked them what kind of @#$-ing idiot they thought I was.


This is a recognised scam, happened to my mother in the UK earlier this year [the calls coming from India]...


[They say they represent Microsoft, you have viruses, they are calling to help. They get remote access to your PC, install a key-logger, and then try and then sell you an AV package. If my mum wasn't still on steam-powered dial-up at the time they would have probably succeeded, before she thought of calling me! :)]

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:03 am

A friend of mine got this one recently via .... skype:

danielzh4: Hello xxxxx, accept my apologies for contacting you through this medium since we do not know each other prior to this message. But for security reason and of course confidentiality, I have no better and safer means to carry out this project, First and foremost, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval I wish to use this opportunity to introduce myself to you.

I am Danielz Haziz from Libya, I write to inform you of my desire to invest, and to buy a living house in your country. I am the first son of Engr.Marcial Haziz, who worked with Libyan National Oil Corporation.

If you are still online please kindly contact me back so that I will give you full details of this project, or you can contact me through my privet email danielz_haziz@yahoo.com for more details

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:08 am

x9200 wrote:A friend of mine got this one recently via .... skype:

danielzh4: Hello xxxxx, accept my apologies for contacting you through this medium since we do not know each other prior to this message. But for security reason and of course confidentiality, I have no better and safer means to carry out this project, First and foremost, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval I wish to use this opportunity to introduce myself to you.

I am Danielz Haziz from Libya, I write to inform you of my desire to invest, and to buy a living house in your country. I am the first son of Engr.Marcial Haziz, who worked with Libyan National Oil Corporation.

If you are still online please kindly contact me back so that I will give you full details of this project, or you can contact me through my privet email danielz_haziz@yahoo.com for more details


So it's probably a '419 Fraud' which that has been going on for donkeys years. Is the point that going via Skype is new?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:42 am

Yep. Besides, for already some time they individually vary both the names and the e-mail address so it is not that instant to google it out if you are nor familiar with this particular scam and want to do some checks.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 9:24 am

I take the old school approach, I either;

1. Hang up
2. Tell them to f*** off and hang up.

That is all!
nutnut

User avatar
Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed, 07 Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong (bye bye SG!)

Postby Asdracles » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:05 pm

Not only in Skype!!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RX1EU.png
[/img]

This guys adapt quickly to all new technologies! :D

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 5:12 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:A friend of mine got this one recently via .... skype:

danielzh4: Hello xxxxx, accept my apologies for contacting you through this medium since we do not know each other prior to this message. But for security reason and of course confidentiality, I have no better and safer means to carry out this project, First and foremost, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction and I pray that my decision to contact you will be given genuine approval I wish to use this opportunity to introduce myself to you.

I am Danielz Haziz from Libya, I write to inform you of my desire to invest, and to buy a living house in your country. I am the first son of Engr.Marcial Haziz, who worked with Libyan National Oil Corporation.

If you are still online please kindly contact me back so that I will give you full details of this project, or you can contact me through my privet email danielz_haziz@yahoo.com for more details


So it's probably a '419 Fraud' which that has been going on for donkeys years. Is the point that going via Skype is new?


Anyone who falls for that horsesh*t deserves to lose money. You can't cheat an honest person, remember!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:15 pm

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.


Well that's a new spin on an old expression! :)

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Sat, 26 Nov 2011 8:21 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.


Well that's a new spin on an old expression! :)


But then again, I remember reading a disclaimer in an autobiography that stated; 'the stuff that sounds like it was made up most certainly wasn't, and the stuff that sounds boring was most likely made up!'.

Going off topic a bit there....


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests