Singapore Expats Forum

Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Postby the lynx » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:21 pm

Don't you just hate phone scams? I don't know about you guys but I ALWAYS get such calls (Maybe because I have the word 'SUCKER' blinking across my mobile number)

And it always the same MO. Chinese-speaking girls with mainland accent telling you that you've won something bla bla bla... you know the rest of the story.

And telling them you're not interested for the n-th time is futile. Persistent critters - should have sprayed my pesticides on them instead (that might give a good run for the money)

:x

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:37 pm


User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:04 am

Simple innit, obey the law or pay the consequences.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:31 am

Guys, this is about phone scams!

(But I'm always amazed to trace how people get off-topic: phone scam --> pesticide --> pepper spray --> police brutality --> what next?)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:38 am

the lynx wrote:Guys, this is about phone scams!

(But I'm always amazed to trace how people get off-topic: phone scam --> pesticide --> pepper spray --> police brutality --> what next?)


er.... bemoaning the hopelessly ineffectual police in the UK? :)


p.s. I thought you were just having a vent on this topic. If not, what was the question again?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 6:59 am

the lynx wrote:Guys, this is about phone scams!

(But I'm always amazed to trace how people get off-topic: phone scam --> pesticide --> pepper spray --> police brutality --> what next?)


Logical procession of events I'd say. At least for this bunch! :lol:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Postby x9200 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 7:38 am

the lynx wrote:Don't you just hate phone scams? I don't know about you guys but I ALWAYS get such calls (Maybe because I have the word 'SUCKER' blinking across my mobile number)

And it always the same MO. Chinese-speaking girls with mainland accent telling you that you've won something bla bla bla... you know the rest of the story.

And telling them you're not interested for the n-th time is futile. Persistent critters - should have sprayed my pesticides on them instead (that might give a good run for the money)

:x

Never happened to me. The closest it gets in my case will be the financial advisers and this always to my office number.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Postby the lynx » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 8:26 am

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Don't you just hate phone scams? I don't know about you guys but I ALWAYS get such calls (Maybe because I have the word 'SUCKER' blinking across my mobile number)

And it always the same MO. Chinese-speaking girls with mainland accent telling you that you've won something bla bla bla... you know the rest of the story.

And telling them you're not interested for the n-th time is futile. Persistent critters - should have sprayed my pesticides on them instead (that might give a good run for the money)

:x

Never happened to me. The closest it gets in my case will be the financial advisers and this always to my office number.


That too. To be specific, bank officers and insurance agents calling up to persuade me to upgrade my current package.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 8:56 am

One of my favorite ways to respond, especially to credit card 'vendors' is,

"I'd really like to but I'm migrating to New Zealand. In fact, my flight is tomorrow."

But this is gold: http://youtu.be/ZmLMcQ09BHc. I think it has been brought up here before already.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 8:59 am

Only spam calls I got were property agents calling me at home. Nothing seemed to stop them.

One time I told a caller (stringing him along) it wasn't convenient and could he call me back later, at say midnight. And he did!... :o

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:21 am

There was once I was so bored, I decided to play with those Chinese phone scammers : -

Call 1:
A lady called and began her drill in her mainland accent.
My response: Acted blur, faked an accent (whatever accent I could think of that time LOL) and told her in English I don't understand her.
Her response: Blur, and hung up.

Call 2: Few days later
Another lady called. This time (hold your breath) she spoke in English (albeit with that heavy Chinese accent in it).
My response: Acted blur, spoke in Mandarin and told her I don't speak English.
Her response: Blue, and hang up.

FTW~
:cool: :P :lol:

User avatar
nuff
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Postby nuff » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:26 am

One of the funniest I heard was when I was in my old place in the UK. My neighbour mate was living on the second floor in a block of flats.

He gets a phone call from someone trying to sell conservatories so strings the guy along and arranges a time for him to come round and discuss it more.

The guy arrives the next day and was not impressed, especially as my friend tells him it was his own fault for cold calling and wasting his time in the first place. Needless to say he left as a very unhappy chappy :x

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:30 am

nuff wrote:One of the funniest I heard was when I was in my old place in the UK. My neighbour mate was living on the second floor in a block of flats.

He gets a phone call from someone trying to sell conservatories so strings the guy along and arranges a time for him to come round and discuss it more.

The guy arrives the next day and was not impressed, especially as my friend tells him it was his own fault for cold calling and wasting his time in the first place. Needless to say he left as a very unhappy chappy :x


Ha ha!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Phone scams - bloody annoying!

Postby x9200 » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:53 am

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Never happened to me. The closest it gets in my case will be the financial advisers and this always to my office number.


That too. To be specific, bank officers and insurance agents calling up to persuade me to upgrade my current package.

Me is in focus of a different kind: always calling from abroad, well spoken, British or American accent. Surprisingly, with this is coming an approach like they think they talk to an average Joe and try to sell him a meat mincer on a TV show. "So it looks like your really don't want to earn good money?" Yep, you got me. Bye. beepbeepbeep. And then like 5 phone calls in raw I ignored to pick up. Damn, the toilet paper I use has better socio-technique.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Fri, 25 Nov 2011 9:34 pm

In SP I kept getting calls from the Philippines and/or India trying to tell me their was something wrong with my computer that needed immediate rescuing. Immediate hang ups of course as soon as I asked them what kind of @#$-ing idiot they thought I was.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests