Singapore Expats

Buy IPHONE 4S

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
jasminezhu

Buy IPHONE 4S

Post by jasminezhu » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 2:29 pm

hi, Guys, Anyone can tell me where I can buy an Iphone 4s 16G cheaper? . I already visited some shop, they all tell me it's like $1088 or $1288 for 32G. Don't tell me sign contract, I buy this for my friend....

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:20 pm

Apple have pricing standards, they do not allow their re-sellers to price themselves. The only way you can buy cheaper is if you buy in another country where the exchange rate is favourable.

To be fair, you will struggle to get a 4S anywhere in Singapore unlocked, the only place I've seen selling it is the Apple Store and it's sold out and the price you mention.

Good luck, although, I think you'll be flogging a dead horse trying to find this.
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:36 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

jasminezhu

Post by jasminezhu » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 9:38 am

Thanks, Guys....I probabry still try my luck on Apple offical website then.

chann

Post by chann » Thu, 24 Nov 2011 7:11 pm

its too bad till now still not available in apple.com.sg

jasminezhu wrote:Thanks, Guys....I probabry still try my luck on Apple offical website then.
* Nice try better than stopping there.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 13 Dec 2011 8:27 pm

why wait for 5 when you can wait for 6?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:45 am

richie303 wrote:Apple have pricing standards, they do not allow their re-sellers to price themselves. The only way you can buy cheaper is if you buy in another country where the exchange rate is favourable.

To be fair, you will struggle to get a 4S anywhere in Singapore unlocked, the only place I've seen selling it is the Apple Store and it's sold out and the price you mention.

Good luck, although, I think you'll be flogging a dead horse trying to find this.
By law, all phones sold in Singapore must be unlocked, including those sold by the carriers. Much better than US or Europe.

PS: The Samsung Galaxy S II absolutely puts the iPhone to shame. No contest at all when it comes to hardware. Much better camera, better email, better video, HDMI output to TV, FM radio.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:03 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PS: The Samsung Galaxy S II absolutely puts the iPhone to shame. No contest at all when it comes to hardware. Much better camera, better email, better video, HDMI output to TV, FM radio.
Agreed, impressive specs, Apple are falling behind somewhat, but for me it's all about the platform I admit to being a iPhone person now, the hardware has not become as important to me any more. Sad huh? (and the lack of key logging software ;) :P :P )
nutnut

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:By law, all phones sold in Singapore must be unlocked, including those sold by the carriers. Much better than US or Europe.
EU laws prohibit locking down phones as well, so no different in this regard. But overall European cellphone carriers are not years but decades ahead of companies here in terms of competitiveness, technology, customer service and everything else in general...

Of course the US is also playing catch-up, due to simply being the last to join the race...

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:27 pm

aster wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:By law, all phones sold in Singapore must be unlocked, including those sold by the carriers. Much better than US or Europe.
EU laws prohibit locking down phones as well, so no different in this regard. But overall European cellphone carriers are not years but decades ahead of companies here in terms of competitiveness, technology, customer service and everything else in general...

Of course the US is also playing catch-up, due to simply being the last to join the race...
If this is the case, then why are there posts from people with O2 contracts wanting to unlock?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:52 pm

I haven't been to all EU countries, but the ones where I have phones have legislation that prohibits locking phones, and when asked what caused the change they all quote that EU legislation forced their countries to follow suit.

Maybe the UK is breaking out... as usual... though even there the likes of Vodaphone never locked phones in an attempt to "imprison" people even as far back as 12-14 years ago.

Or the law might apply solely to contract phones, allowing only pre-pay-bundled phones to be locked?

Either way, the whole cell-phone experience here is like being in the "Medieval Age" compared to carriers in Europe...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 2:34 am

aster wrote: EU laws prohibit locking down phones as well
Well that sounds authoritative, so I'm inclined to take that in good faith as informed and correct.

aster wrote: I haven't been to all EU countries... Maybe.... Or .... Either way...
Er, on second thoughts maybe Wikipedia is better informed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlock_pho ... technology

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 9:08 am

Generally the best prices you'll get officially on new Apple stuff will be straight from Apple (after exchange and such) via their HK store. (In person or website). Unfortunately they won't ship outside of HK from there.
Strong Eagle wrote: PS: The Samsung Galaxy S II absolutely puts the iPhone to shame. No contest at all when it comes to hardware. Much better camera, better email, better video, HDMI output to TV, FM radio.
Pure numbers-wise, sure, S II is better than iPhone 4S. But software means a lot. As a photographer who uses numerous mobile devices, the iPhone camera *blows away* the S-II camera. The hardware specs of the sensor are debatable (it's not all just raw MP), but the software makes a huge difference for photo quality, and the Android options just completely pale compared to the iOS options. Trust me, this is the one thing that has held me back numerous times from switching to an S-II, Note, or Nexus.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 6:30 pm

As much as I like Samsung for their TV sets and phones that take two SIM cards, I cannot imagine switching from an iPhone to one of their products as I use a Mac.

I did give their tablet a look when it came out, but within a minute I put it back thinking, "what a joke..." :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Jan 2012 2:41 pm

aster wrote:As much as I like Samsung for their TV sets and phones that take two SIM cards, I cannot imagine switching from an iPhone to one of their products as I use a Mac.

I did give their tablet a look when it came out, but within a minute I put it back thinking, "what a joke..." :)
You are missing out!