Singapore Expats Forum

edited

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009

Postby Grumpy77 » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:49 pm

It's interesting how first impressions count for so much in life.

I'm going to be hiring a couple of dealers in the next few weeks, however I need someone who can write well to help with the daily client newsletter. Seeing OP asking how to get a job but being too lazy to capitalise, writing on a forum as if sms'ing is a complete turn-off. Certainly not as bad as some of the Singlish one sees online but still, how hard is it to capitalise a few letters and do it right.

Additionally there were questions asked in the spirit of helping, twice in one instance, that were ignored. Any chance that I'd be interested has definitely waned as I read through the thread.

It may not be fair but chance missed, c'est la vie.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:52 pm

BillyB wrote:It's a way to get your foot in the door and learn the systems and lingo, and then you progress from there...


+1 to that, I certainly maxed-out on just such an indirect route. Furthermore, a lot of dealing jobs went to people who worked in Finance and Ops.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:57 pm

Grumpy77 wrote:It may not be fair but chance missed, c'est la vie.


I saw a middle-office colleague of mine passed over for a trading job on the basis that 'No, he walks too slowly'. Verbatim :).

When you're pitching high, little things count!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 1:33 pm

Grumpy77 wrote:It's interesting how first impressions count for so much in life.

I'm going to be hiring a couple of dealers in the next few weeks, however I need someone who can write well to help with the daily client newsletter. Seeing OP asking how to get a job but being too lazy to capitalise, writing on a forum as if sms'ing is a complete turn-off. Certainly not as bad as some of the Singlish one sees online but still, how hard is it to capitalise a few letters and do it right.

Additionally there were questions asked in the spirit of helping, twice in one instance, that were ignored. Any chance that I'd be interested has definitely waned as I read through the thread.

It may not be fair but chance missed, c'est la vie.


I've alluded to the same thing here countless times over the years on this board. This was a prime example that I've throw out there all too often. One never knows who is reading these boards. I've been invited to process interviews with MOM, asked to be on panel discussions on TV, I'm an HR Manager for a local SME, Strong Eagle is a business owner. You never know who is here behind the nicks, avatars & discussions. Therefore one must "always" put their best foot forward as you are always on display. This is even more important with the advent of social media. Many a reputation has been broken that way. Lots of careers are stillborn for the same reason.

Hopefully nasgirl has learn something over the past couple of days......

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 2:22 pm

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote:I hear MF Global are hiring........



'Oh issit. I've not heard of them. Who do I send resume to, and what do I write please?

I have Master'[/quote

You'll work for a packet of peanuts and shares - that should do the trick......


I already did that, but I sold most of the nuts while they were still worth something (the rest are currently at c. 1/10th- of their peak.... sigh!

With the remainder ... .I'm torn between a completely unnecessary penis enlargement, or a mid-life crisis sports car)
The big unnecessary penis theory is all in the mind! Definitely the sports car, will attract more predators. I read that the famous George Clooney had his first orgasm climbing a rope at 6 or 7 he must feel very proud :lol: Stick with the cars man! The repairs are much more cheaper :wink:

nasgirl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2011

Postby nasgirl » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 3:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Grumpy77 wrote:It's interesting how first impressions count for so much in life.

I'm going to be hiring a couple of dealers in the next few weeks, however I need someone who can write well to help with the daily client newsletter. Seeing OP asking how to get a job but being too lazy to capitalise, writing on a forum as if sms'ing is a complete turn-off. Certainly not as bad as some of the Singlish one sees online but still, how hard is it to capitalise a few letters and do it right.

Additionally there were questions asked in the spirit of helping, twice in one instance, that were ignored. Any chance that I'd be interested has definitely waned as I read through the thread.

It may not be fair but chance missed, c'est la vie.


I've alluded to the same thing here countless times over the years on this board. This was a prime example that I've throw out there all too often. One never knows who is reading these boards. I've been invited to process interviews with MOM, asked to be on panel discussions on TV, I'm an HR Manager for a local SME, Strong Eagle is a business owner. You never know who is here behind the nicks, avatars & discussions. Therefore one must "always" put their best foot forward as you are always on display. This is even more important with the advent of social media. Many a reputation has been broken that way. Lots of careers are stillborn for the same reason.

Hopefully nasgirl has learn something over the past couple of days......


yup. thank for your advise. Really do something on it this 2 days.
Thank and i appreciate.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest