Singapore Expats Forum

Collection time of visa from US Embassy, Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
TheRealStig

Collection time of visa from US Embassy, Singapore

Postby TheRealStig » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:20 am

I was wondering if you apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa (H class) and it gets approved, what are the chances that you can go and collect your visa stamped passport that evening itself. (Appointment would be in the morning 8:15 AM.)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:57 am

Currently you will have to allow around 30 days for the appointment and an additional 3 days for processing after the appointment. Forget about picking it up in the evening.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/ ... &x=77&y=11

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/visas.html

Temporary Closure

Temporary Suspension of Visa Services

The Consular Section will be closed for renovations November 11-18. No visa services will be provided during that time. In order to accommodate persons with immediate travel needs, additional visa appointments will be offered October 31-November 4. Please go to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/sg/ for information on how to make a visa appointment.

We will reopen for visa services at 1:30 PM on Monday, November 21.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/a_zindex/a ... _4353.html

[quote]About Visa Processing Wait Times – Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants

Information about nonimmigrant visa wait times for interviews and visa processing time frames are shown on this website, as well as on U.S. Embassy and Consulate websites worldwide. It should be noted that the “Wait Times for a Nonimmigrant Visa to be Processed”

TheRealStig

Postby TheRealStig » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:04 pm

Yes, I checked that. But I think that's the upper bound generally. For instance, I know from experience that good numer of visas are stamped and the passports are returned away right that evening at the Mumbai US Consulate. I was hoping if someone who probably has done this before can share his/her experience.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:31 pm

My experience was that it wasn't immediate. I had to return about 4 days later (in 2008).

TheRealStig

Postby TheRealStig » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:40 pm

carteki wrote:My experience was that it wasn't immediate. I had to return about 4 days later (in 2008).

I see. Thanks for sharing. Could I also ask you how was the interview and what documents do they require - because there's different "official" lists of documents around.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:59 pm

You do realize that she was talking about 4 years ago. And you were talking about Mumbai US Embassy. Each embassy may have different waiting periods. You would have known that already had you 'carefully' read the links supplied. I would suggest you read the links/forms and give them exactly what they ask for. Or, just go in there and just tell 'em you got masters. .....

Aren't you the same person talking about their Visa in Singapore after finishing their degree back in June or July? Already trying to collect visas? :roll:

TheRealStig

Postby TheRealStig » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 2:43 pm

I'm still talking about the US Embassy in Singapore, SMS. :)

I wanted to know in practice how long it takes for the US Embassy in Singapore. I gave an example of the US Consulate in Mumbai acting faster than the time they mention on their website to show practice and official can be different.

Yes, I'm the same guy. As much as I hate to be "collecting" visas, it turns out the work at this company isn't exactly good. (Three people of a team of 7 already left in 4 months. If that doesn't ays something, 2 have already resigned and are on their notice period. That's attrition rate. The employer doesn't even accept resignations or lets you buy out notice period easily which I believe is against the Singapore Employment Act. - I'm no lawyer but that's from what I understood reading it.)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 2:58 pm

This is Singapore. The timing is what it is. The consulate is manned by Singaporeans with the exception of the consular officer, so I reckon you will get it when it says. Grease only works in Malaysia, Indonesia & India. ;-)

I don't need a visa so haven't had to apply for one.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Grease only works in Malaysia, Indonesia & India. ;-)

And Vietnam!

USD$50 turned a bunch of local immigration officials doing their best Singlish impersonation of "Cannot!" into an exit visa stamped and approved 20 minutes later. I suspect they knew it would have cost USD$100 to reschedule my flight out.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:23 pm

I haven't been there since exiting there in Jan 1968! :o I don't remember having a visa either. 8-)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I haven't been there since exiting there in Jan 1968! :o I don't remember having a visa either. 8-)

Gee, does going to fight in the war require a visa? :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:36 pm

:devil:

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 2:05 pm

TheRealStig wrote:I see. Thanks for sharing. Could I also ask you how was the interview and what documents do they require - because there's different "official" lists of documents around.

Surely there is only one embassy list? but be prepared with anything that you have that can prove ties to Singapore and why you will return... While I was in the queue the chief reason for being denied a visa was inability to show adequate ties to Singapore - time in a job, house, money in bank account etc.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 2:17 pm

carteki wrote:
TheRealStig wrote:I see. Thanks for sharing. Could I also ask you how was the interview and what documents do they require - because there's different "official" lists of documents around.

Surely there is only one embassy list? but be prepared with anything that you have that can prove ties to Singapore and why you will return... While I was in the queue the chief reason for being denied a visa was inability to show adequate ties to Singapore - time in a job, house, money in bank account etc.

There's no official list released to the public. The embassy's stand (and I think legally too) is that the burden of proof is on the applicant--how he presents his case is up to him. I think in some countries they release a list because people are too damned stubborn to follow common sense and it's a waste of time for the embassy processing applications that have no backing whatsoever.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 21 Nov 2011 6:55 pm

carteki wrote:

+1
I had a similar experience at the US Embassy in London (I described it at length here last year, if anyone cares to search for it).

In a nutshell, the presumption seems to be that if you're applying for a visa you're intending to go to the US for good. So the burden is on the applicant to convincingly establish why that is not the case.

I'm not sure the OP could make a solid enough case for having 'ties to Singapore', from how I read his posts he is from India.