Singapore Expats

tortoise, tips on how to keep it?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: thanks :)

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 1:28 pm

shiranaihito wrote:thanks all for your replies.. enriched my knowledge..

I think pet shop owners don't really know the difference between tortoise and terrapin, what all pet shops are selling are terrapins instead of tortoise, thanks to the web link given by Ecureilx, thanks to Richie303's initial reply on their difference.

Upon reading BillyB's initial reply, I still prefer tortoise since its low maintenance. BillyB, where did your cousin got his/her tortoise? Size as big as A5 - must be very cute! hope to hear from u soon :)
Do you know A5 is about half of A4 ?? :D

And low maintenance ?

if you can't take care of your pet, like JR8 suggest, how about a soft toy ? or a virtual pet ? Farmville ? Tomaguchi anybody ?? :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 1:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:tortoise : cute :???:

I've read lots of descriptions of tortoises but this is the first time I've hear "cute" used to describe one. :?
They are cute!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 2:35 pm

ecureilx wrote: Do you know A5 is about half of A4 ?? :D
:???:

Hate to tell you this, but it's not "about" it's "exactly".

:P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 2:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Do you know A5 is about half of A4 ?? :D
:???:

Hate to tell you this, but it's not "about" it's "exactly".

:P
ah, there goes my one moment of glory :D :D

to the OP: well, at A5, is it BIG ????????????

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 3:14 pm

I don't think I'd call a A5 sized tortoise "big"

http://www.itsnature.org/ground/reptile ... -tortoise/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 3:25 pm

Indeed they are cute! :D

I remember when I was little, my siblings and I would construct race tracks using Tinkertoys (don't know if this construction toy still exist) and race our tortoises in them...

:lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 3:35 pm

the lynx wrote:Indeed they are cute! :D

I remember when I was little, my siblings and I would construct race tracks using Tinkertoys (don't know if this construction toy still exist) and race our tortoises in them...

how many coffees did it take for the race to finish ? and seriously, did anybody report you to the SPCA for cruelty to the little fellows .. :( :(

oh, cute, again, you can't carry them in your Gucci bag and show off to your friends, or walk them in the park to chat up cute guys .. :D :D

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:

how many coffees did it take for the race to finish ? and seriously, did anybody report you to the SPCA for cruelty to the little fellows .. :( :(

oh, cute, again, you can't carry them in your Gucci bag and show off to your friends, or walk them in the park to chat up cute guys .. :D :D
Why not?!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:39 pm

'tis true! It's not like they need much water, if any at all.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:50 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Tortoises (the land ones) actually do move quickly (when you compare to terrapins and turtles, of course). And being kids, we made probably about 20 cm tracks? So it only less than a minute for the tortoises to clear that distance.

And cruel? Hardly. Not that we poked them or anything. And not that I'd do that again 20 years later after that :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:51 pm

BillyB wrote: Why not?!
From what I know, Gucci and Prada don't have any bag range for 'tortoise as an accessory style' :D :D

I could be wrong though ... ;)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:52 pm

the lynx wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Tortoises (the land ones) actually do move quickly (when you compare to terrapins and turtles, of course). And being kids, we made probably about 20 cm tracks? So it only less than a minute for the tortoises to clear that distance.

And cruel? Hardly. Not that we poked them or anything. And not that I'd do that again 20 years later after that :P
Then it must have been one of the world's most boring animal races.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:53 pm

the lynx wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

My cousins also had a cat - they used to dress him up in babies clothes and push him around in a pram. Very well natured was that cat...

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 4:57 pm

nakatago wrote:
the lynx wrote:
ecureilx wrote: how many coffees did it take for the race to finish ? and seriously, did anybody report you to the SPCA for cruelty to the little fellows .. :( :(

Then it must have been one of the world's most boring animal races.
Oh why would there be an Aesop fable about the hare and the tortoise then? :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 5:00 pm

nakatago wrote: Then it must have been one of the world's most boring animal races.
I beg to differ.

I Read somewhere about Snail Races :D :D Talk about speedy gonzalez ..