Question on Social Visit Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Post Reply
johnrichman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:07 pm

Question on Social Visit Pass

Post by johnrichman » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:54 pm

Hi,

I am from India and to visit Singapore for job search, Is it better to apply for Tourist Visa or Social Vist Pass? Also Can I directly apply for SVP(which is valid for 3 months)? Or first enter by Tourist Visa (which is valid for 1 month) and apply for SVP to extend stay before Tourist visa expires? Which one would be better?

(My plan is to be in SG for about 2 months time and look for jobs). Your suggestions are much appreciated..

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Question on Social Visit Pass

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 3:02 am

johnrichman wrote:Hi,

I am from India and to visit Singapore for job search, Is it better to apply for Tourist Visa or Social Vist Pass?

The Social Visit Pass, or SVP, is the tourist visa. There is no separate or different thing called the 'Tourist Visa'.
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/newdelhi/


Also Can I directly apply for SVP(which is valid for 3 months)? Or first enter by Tourist Visa (which is valid for 1 month) and apply for SVP to extend stay before Tourist visa expires? Which one would be better?

You should read this...
http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_o ... &secid=165

(My plan is to be in SG for about 2 months time and look for jobs). Your suggestions are much appreciated..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: Question on Social Visit Pass

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 7:31 am

JR8 wrote: The Social Visit Pass, or SVP, is the tourist visa. There is no separate or different thing called the 'Tourist Visa'.
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/newdelhi/
Chief, In India, and in a lot of countries, they don't use the word Social Visit pass, they use the term tourist visa, and hence I believe John Richman (from Chennai) is confused :D

Probably your quotes should be sticky for those from the sub continent, lest it be asked again and again .. ;)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 7:36 am

Morning Squirrel,

The fact that both terms were capitalised suggested to me that he believed both were 'official names' of different visas.

Of course the SVP is what might be considered the everyday tourist visa (non-capitalised).

Sorry I think I'm in an unusually pedantic mood this morning lol :wink:


p.s winter is coming, I hope your nut-sack is nice and full bwahahaha :twisted:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 9:19 am

JR8 wrote:Morning Squirrel,

The fact that both terms were capitalised suggested to me that he believed both were 'official names' of different visas.

Of course the SVP is what might be considered the everyday tourist visa (non-capitalised).

Sorry I think I'm in an unusually pedantic mood this morning lol :wink:
My morning coffee hasn't kicked in :D And I posted before rushing off to work (shows how dedicated I have became for the cause of the forum .. :D )

Probably there should be a FAQ section, with simple queries like ..

SVP = Short term Visa / Tourist Visa
IPA = something you get only after you found a job, employer applied for EP .. etc., etc
LTVP = worry about it AFTER THE EPEC is approved, not now :)
And more of the Singapore acronyms .. :)

What says you ??
p.s winter is coming, I hope your nut-sack is nice and full bwahahaha :twisted:
You mean like this ? my, my .. then how to speaketh when the mouth is fulleth ?

Image

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 9:29 am

ecureilx wrote:Probably there should be a FAQ section, with simple queries like ..

SVP = Short term Visa / Tourist Visa
IPA = something you get only after you found a job, employer applied for EP .. etc., etc
LTVP = worry about it AFTER THE EPEC is approved, not now :)
And more of the Singapore acronyms .. :)

What says you ??
Good luck getting people to read it. MOM/ICA already listed, highlighted and nicely-formatted these things and people still fail to understand. How many questions do we get from people who claim they've been to the websites and still ask questions answerable if they only bothered to read?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 4:14 pm

That's the thing. It's theoretically a good idea, but would likely not be used. It goes back to the idea of some people thinking their circumstances are unique, and hence requiring 1-1 custom advice.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39550
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 4:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:
You mean like this ? my, my .. then how to speaketh when the mouth is fulleth ?

Image
The whole idea. :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 4:47 pm

JR8 wrote:That's the thing. It's theoretically a good idea, but would likely not be used. It goes back to the idea of some people thinking their circumstances are unique, and hence requiring 1-1 custom advice.
Because, of late, I realised, not just here, but elsewhere too, a lot of people want 'personalised' advice .. and more :D :D

SMS: I was thinking of the standing squirrel, but since you mentioned that this forum is frequented by kids, I decided not to post it .. (oh, somebody did post it yeah .. the one with the BIG nuts .. )

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 5:11 pm

ecureilx wrote: (oh, somebody did post it yeah .. the one with the BIG nuts .. )

If I remember correctly that one was posted by Bald Eagle.

:wink: :P :cool:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests