Singapore Expats Forum

My house owner refuse to return my deposit

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sujji
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri, 15 Apr 2011
Location: Singapore

My house owner refuse to return my deposit

Postby sujji » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:58 pm

Hi,
I had signed a rental contract for a flat in jurong west st 91 blk 948 and i stayed in that flat for one year as stated in contract and continued for another 6months without contract (only with verbal aggrement between me and owner). last month (2nd oct) i vacated the flat but my owner haven't return my deposit and he told my agent that he doesn't want to return the deposit. when i tried to call him he didn't pick up my call.

can anyone suggest me how i can handle this problem? some of my friends suggested me to go to small claim court but i am not sure how much it could cost? please advice me onthis

Siva

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:47 pm

I believe it will cost you around $20. The following link will take you through the steps needed.......

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=8617

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

deposit

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 7:33 am

sometimes, it is the agent playing the game, as the agent holds the money and spends it .. and blames the landlord.

Did you try contacting the landlord ?

I would suggest to get a lawyer, to send a letter of demand (75$ ?) before going to small claims, as if the landlord is the real culprit, he / she will have to face the music, or atleast the agent will be in hot water ..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 9:15 am

Why not use the cheaper option first? :???:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 9:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why not use the cheaper option first? :???:


Small claims, while it is cheaper, eats up half a day of time and effort, and mind you .. I been there .. the other party can simply tell the officiating judge (who looks more dressed to be in a boardroom .. ) that the repayment can be done over 6 months installments. . happened to me once .. for a trivial matter of 1000 $ which a former landlord refused to pay back .. as the landlord pleaded that he is BROKE !!!!!!

On the other hand, in my opinion, if the deposit is large enough, a 70$ demand letter may start the other side go helter skelter, or if he / she is a tough nut, then too bad .. :)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9159
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:48 am

Why a lawyer? If somebody is not going to pay will still not pay. Just write a demand letter by yourself and send it. If you think the lawyer will look more serious and have better chance to have any impact than equally well starting the process with SCT will have even better effect.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:55 am

x9200 wrote:Why a lawyer? If somebody is not going to pay will still not pay. Just write a demand letter by yourself and send it. If you think the lawyer will look more serious and have better chance to have any impact than equally well starting the process with SCT will have even better effect.


no noooo ... not lawyer, but a demand letter drafted by a legal firm which add punch and stops any more dilly dallying .. :)

Of course if the deposit is large enough it warrants a shock-and-awe attack .. else small claims court it is ....

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9159
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:no noooo ... not lawyer, but a demand letter drafted by a legal firm which add punch and stops any more dilly dallying .. :)

Same thing. No need to waste $S75.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 1:04 pm

Squirrel......... BS!

The average person doesn't know the difference between a lawyer and a legal firm (which actually IS the same thing unless the lawyer is in private practice). Having been in Administration for the past 15 years or so here, I can tell you, the legal letter has absolutely no more "clout" than a go with the SCT. In fact, the SCT actually has more sway as the result of non-compliance can lead to the claimant see a balif and seizing everything and put it up for auction. You are much better off using the SCT. And what's a half a day? If the guys out of work and trying to collect, he's got the time and not the money. If the guy is working, just take the time off as required.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 1:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel......... BS!

The average person doesn't know the difference between a lawyer and a legal firm (which actually IS the same thing unless the lawyer is in private practice). Having been in Administration for the past 15 years or so here, I can tell you, the legal letter has absolutely no more "clout" than a go with the SCT. In fact, the SCT actually has more sway as the result of non-compliance can lead to the claimant see a balif and seizing everything and put it up for auction. You are much better off using the SCT. And what's a half a day? If the guys out of work and trying to collect, he's got the time and not the money. If the guy is working, just take the time off as required.


hmmmm .. ok lah :( I always thought a letter with a lawyer's name adds punch (of course, if the amount due is worth to pursue that course of action .. ) :(

sujji
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri, 15 Apr 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby sujji » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 5:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why not use the cheaper option first? :???:


Small claims, while it is cheaper, eats up half a day of time and effort, and mind you .. I been there .. the other party can simply tell the officiating judge (who looks more dressed to be in a boardroom .. ) that the repayment can be done over 6 months installments. . happened to me once .. for a trivial matter of 1000 $ which a former landlord refused to pay back .. as the landlord pleaded that he is BROKE !!!!!!

On the other hand, in my opinion, if the deposit is large enough, a 70$ demand letter may start the other side go helter skelter, or if he / she is a tough nut, then too bad .. :)


Thanks for all your suggestions, my deposit amount is only $1700, so i am planning for cheaper solution (Small claim court). however i am still hesitated to do that because i had rented the flat without any contract for last six months, which i feel would weaken my case (as no proof of tenancy agreement for last six month). could anyone advice/comment on this?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 16 Nov 2011 6:07 pm

sujji wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why not use the cheaper option first? :???:


Small claims, while it is cheaper, eats up half a day of time and effort, and mind you .. I been there .. the other party can simply tell the officiating judge (who looks more dressed to be in a boardroom .. ) that the repayment can be done over 6 months installments. . happened to me once .. for a trivial matter of 1000 $ which a former landlord refused to pay back .. as the landlord pleaded that he is BROKE !!!!!!

On the other hand, in my opinion, if the deposit is large enough, a 70$ demand letter may start the other side go helter skelter, or if he / she is a tough nut, then too bad .. :)


Thanks for all your suggestions, my deposit amount is only $1700, so i am planning for cheaper solution (Small claim court). however i am still hesitated to do that because i had rented the flat without any contract for last six months, which i feel would weaken my case (as no proof of tenancy agreement for last six month). could anyone advice/comment on this?


I hope you kept all proof of your rent payments, plus PUB bills, and then you can take it up at the Small Claims Court

Small Claims court, in case you are worried, is something like an informal board room meeting - the presiding judge will let you speak and then review your supporting documents, and then work out a solution - as long as you have proof of prompt payment, and all, should be a breeze.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron