Singapore Expats

Canada to Singapore with Criminal Record

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
badatusernames

Canada to Singapore with Criminal Record

Post by badatusernames » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:46 am

Hello everyone,

I've been searching the user forms, and have posted before on here. Long story short, I've been accepted to study at a university in Singapore. A few years ago I was convicted of a DUI in Canada, which is a criminal offence. From what I've read on here, it appears there are 2 types of offences in Singapore, and mine might be considered a minor? Would this prevent me from entering the country, or receiving my student pass?

Please don't reply with just a message saying to keep searching the forums. I been searching, and similar answers say it shouldn't be. I'm asking because I;m starting to stress because of the amount of things I need to have finalized rather soon, and I'm looking for a more definitive answer. I appreciate any advice, and again I'm looking for more concrete answers.

Thank you.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Re: Canada to Singapore with Criminal Record

Post by carteki » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 1:29 pm

badatusernames wrote: I been searching, and similar answers say it shouldn't be. I'm asking because I;m starting to stress because of the amount of things I need to have finalized rather soon, and I'm looking for a more definitive answer. I appreciate any advice, and again I'm looking for more concrete answers.

Thank you.
You have your answer... what do you want a definitive YES / NO? What happens if they're wrong? Will you sue them?

Please remember that we are NOT an official government portal and all we can do is give advice. In addition, it may not be your DUI that is the issue. You might not tick another box - how are we to know? Life is about taking chances - try it...

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 4:55 pm

Definitely maybe.....

Really, if you don' try contacting them then you will never know!
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

badatusernames

Post by badatusernames » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:39 pm

Hello and thanks for the replies. Carteki I know it seems redundant to ask the same question when I have the answer, I guess its just stress/excitement because I'm really eager to do, and would hate it if I'm not allowed too. Thats why I was looking for a more a source to my question.

Richie, whom would I contact directly if I wanted to find out? The government? My local embassy?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 3:51 am

Edited: Sorry MS, yeah I know, but really not necessary. He's a good guy - mod

OP read this

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... highlight=

First of all has your crimes been spent albeit erase from your criminal records ? Some countries is 7 years some are longer.

Second DUI is a minor offense in Singapore if you did not serve jail term or the result of your DUI causes injury or death to other road users.

There are two type of criminal offense

One is Traffic Offense i.e speeding and DUI too etc

Second is Serious Offense i.e kidnapping, rape, murder and even DUI that causes aggravated injury

Declare in the application truthfully. IMHO, it is not a major but declare you must and let MOM decide
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:05 pm

Why don't you contact the High Commission of Canada here and get their take on it?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:08 pm

movingtospore wrote:Why don't you contact the High Commission of Canada here and get their take on it?
Maybe because the only 'take' that matters is MOM?

badatusernames

Post by badatusernames » Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:38 pm

I just wanted to say they accepted my application and my visa has been approved. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now, what to pack?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 3:45 am

badatusernames wrote:I just wanted to say they accepted my application and my visa has been approved. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now, what to pack?
Well well... I hope what we provided here did provide some peace of mind.

Congratulation and Good Luck on your new adventure in SG

Travel light and Welcome to Singapore , It is a FINE CITY !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

badatusernames

Post by badatusernames » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 5:54 am

Hello all, so I have one last question.

I will be staying in Singapore on a student visa. I believe I have to leave the country with in a few days of it expiring. My question is I want to travel SE asia for 6 weeks after my studies. If I book a round trip airfare, will I be able to enter the country again to fly out?

Thanks again.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 7:54 am

I do not see the reason why you will not be allowed to enter SG after your holiday. Just do not do something stupid whilst on the trip

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 10 Dec 2011 9:11 am

badatusernames wrote:Hello all, so I have one last question.

I will be staying in Singapore on a student visa. I believe I have to leave the country with in a few days of it expiring. My question is I want to travel SE asia for 6 weeks after my studies. If I book a round trip airfare, will I be able to enter the country again to fly out?
If you do not overstay here no need to worry.

KokyP

Post by KokyP » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 9:10 am

badusername: I have the same issue with DUI in the USA (first time offense with no injury/accident). On any of your applications (schooling or visas), did you check the box that asked if you were ever convicted in a court of law or something similar? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!