Singapore Expats Forum

S Pass (& ex-WP) marriage doesn't require approval from MOM

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
newvbi

S Pass (& ex-WP) marriage doesn't require approval from

Postby newvbi » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:21 am

Good morning all,

My situation is as follows:

"Does S Pass holder, previously holding a WP, require permission from MOM to marry?"

Just wanted to inform all that this morning I did call MOM and clarified clearly that the answer is "no", albeit the mixed responses that I find here.

Anyone out there would like to reconfirm?

Best regards,
newvbi

sundaymorningstaple

Re: S Pass (& ex-WP) marriage doesn't require approval f

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:51 pm

newvbi wrote:Good morning all,

"Does S Pass holder, previously holding a WP, require permission from MOM to marry?"

Just wanted to inform all that this morning I did call MOM and clarified clearly that the answer is "no", albeit the mixed responses that I find here.

Best regards,
newvbi

An S pass holder does NOT need permission. HOWEVER, a WP holding OR FORMER WP holder DOES NEED PERMISSION. Having said that, it would appear if a person has been upgraded from a WP to a higher level pass, e.g., S or EP, then that supersedes the old WP. That's good to know.

But if a person is just a former WP holder and not on a higher level work visa, They DO need to get permission. I do know this for a fact as I have my nephew and his little 3 year old daughter living with me for the past three years since his wife was refused re-entry into Singapore (they didn't get permission from MOM and she had been on a WP many years ago. After here contract was up she returned to the Philippines and my nephew went there & they got married (she had been off the WP for several years already). After the baby was born, they let her stay for a year and then refused to renew her LTVP and she's been stuck in the 'peens ever since. As the baby was born here, the baby only has Singapore citizenship so the father is having to take care of her (or should I say, my wife & I take care of her!).

Don't get permission at your own peril.

oklor76

Postby oklor76 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 6:24 pm

newvbi wrote:Good morning all,

Best regards,
newvbi

I am confused. My gf is a S pass holder and she called MOM, the officer in charge told her if she need to get married with a Singaporean. She need to apply for it and wait 14 days for the form. And then by filling up the form you have to wait 14 days again to check if the authority approve the marriage.

Please clarify. Or is there any website from MOM I can check?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 6:49 pm

oklor76 wrote:I am confused. My gf is a S pass holder and she called MOM, the officer in charge told her if she need to get married with a Singaporean. She need to apply for it and wait 14 days for the form. And then by filling up the form you have to wait 14 days again to check if the authority approve the marriage.

Are you talking about the 14 day period for applying for wedding license from ROM?

oklor76

Postby oklor76 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 7:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
oklor76 wrote:I am confused. My gf is a S pass holder and she called MOM, the officer in charge told her if she need to get married with a Singaporean. She need to apply for it and wait 14 days for the form. And then by filling up the form you have to wait 14 days again to check if the authority approve the marriage.

Are you talking about the 14 day period for applying for wedding license from ROM?

I read alot in this forum understanding S pass holder do not need MOM approval to get married. My question is that has the regulation been changed recently and now required MOM approval to get married for S pass holder. Because my gf called and the officer ask her to apply and wait for the form to be send to her in 14 days. And then by submitting the form and getting approval from MOM then we can get married.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Jan 2012 7:21 pm

oklor76 wrote:I read alot in this forum understanding S pass holder do not need MOM approval to get married. My question is that has the regulation been changed recently and now required MOM approval to get married for S pass holder. Because my gf called and the officer ask her to apply and wait for the form to be send to her in 14 days. And then by submitting the form and getting approval from MOM then we can get married.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers.

OIC. Well I've not heard of it before, but what do I know. I understood that WP holders, or higher pass-holders who have previously been WP holders need permission.

Maybe it has changed? Don't know. Why not wait to see if anything arrives from MoM? If anything does then please come back and let us know, then we all learn from your experience yah.

newvbi

Postby newvbi » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 3:55 pm

hi all,

my wife is a WP turned S pass holder, and there are no restrictions whatsoever. we are not required to go to MOM to apply for permission.

best if you can call MOM and reconfirm, since i can speak from experience only.

regards.

oklor76

Postby oklor76 » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 7:25 pm

newvbi wrote:hi all,

my wife is a WP turned S pass holder, and there are no restrictions whatsoever. we are not required to go to MOM to apply for permission.

regards.

Hi, when did you got married?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 7:40 pm

regards.

It is something that impacted one the Moderators here, SundayMorningStaple. Unfortunately he is currently abroad and pretty much offline right now.

As I understand it though, his SGn nephew married a Pinay S-Pass holder who had previously been a WP holder. They had a child. Somewhere along the line (her S Pass expiring? Her applying for PR? I don't know) she got refused entry to Singapore on the grounds of her having got married without permission - as a previous WP holder.

Think I'm kidding? Well I'm not as the nephew and baby now have to live with SMS, and the wife is back in the Peens with no way to get back into SG.

This is my broad recollection of the story, and I have probably got something in there a bit wrong. I merely post it as best I can recall as a warning to anyone who thinks that previously holding a WP is not an issue.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 9:49 pm

JR8 wrote:

regards.

It is something that impacted one the Moderators here, SundayMorningStaple. Unfortunately he is currently abroad and pretty much offline right now.

As I understand it though, his SGn nephew married a Pinay S-Pass holder who had previously been a WP holder. They had a child. Somewhere along the line (her S Pass expiring? Her applying for PR? I don't know) she got refused entry to Singapore on the grounds of her having got married without permission - as a previous WP holder.

Think I'm kidding? Well I'm not as the nephew and baby now have to live with SMS, and the wife is back in the Peens with no way to get back into SG.

This is my broad recollection of the story, and I have probably got something in there a bit wrong. I merely post it as best I can recall as a warning to anyone who thinks that previously holding a WP is not an issue.

Eh I just realised oklor76 also posted here... and I replied over at the other post. Aiya!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 15 Jan 2012 9:52 pm

the lynx wrote:Eh I just realised oklor76 also posted here... and I replied over at the other post. Aiya!

Yah, I noted the same. Good example of why posting same question in more than one thread invites chaos and wastes people's time....