Singapore Expats Forum

Beware! ones who are applying for admin exec, secretarial

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 04 May 2009

Beware! ones who are applying for admin exec, secretarial

Postby shiranaihito » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:59 pm

Attention: Ones who are applying for admin exec, secretarial positions

Beware! unless u don't mind to work W/O HAVING COPIES OF THE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT........ any leave within a year is considered unpaid leave, no medical leave within a year too...... etc #-o

wish to share my cousin's unpleasant experience; - an existing web link on the event sutra551689.html#551689


anyway, my cousin saw :shooting: their posting on Wednesday classified again

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: Beware! ones who are applying for admin exec, secretaria

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 8:18 am

shiranaihito wrote:Attention: Ones who are applying for admin exec, secretarial positions

Beware! unless u don't mind to work W/O HAVING COPIES OF THE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT........ any leave within a year is considered unpaid leave, no medical leave within a year too...... etc #-o

wish to share my cousin's unpleasant experience; - an existing web link on the event sutra551689.html#551689


anyway, my cousin saw :shooting: their posting on Wednesday classified again


Unlike European, US. OZ and NZ countries where they do have an Employment Relation Authority aka MOM but with alot of teeth in it , SG does not have that per se. As MOM guideline clearly states in Statutory Law under Employment Act which covers low paid workers whereby the Employment Act will encompass this group of workers when a employment contract is not in place especially for daily rated, odd job laborers and foreign workers in the construction industry.
Your employment contract supersedes this Employment Act. As always advised by MOM, you need to read carefully your contract before signing on the dotted line. If you thinking you are at a disadvantage position, MOM will advise you to engage a lawyer to proceed with legal proceeding if you have signed on the dotted line and wished to have a legal recourse due to this disadvantage befalling on you.
As you an FT, no one forced you to take up that job, you should have read carefully before signing anything. If you have signed it, then you are legally binded by that employment contract.
In your eagerness to place your toes in the door, you should have been more careful. It is clearly that this is your fault. Some employers will take advantage of this loophole. It is unscrupulous and despicable on their part.
So my advice is THE DEVIL IS ALWAYS IN THE DETAILS. If you fail to read, then this failure will bring to your own demise
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 04 May 2009

Re: Beware! ones who are applying for admin exec, secretaria

Postby shiranaihito » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:26 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
shiranaihito wrote:Attention: Ones who are applying for admin exec, secretarial positions

Beware! unless u don't mind to work W/O HAVING COPIES OF THE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT........ any leave within a year is considered unpaid leave, no medical leave within a year too...... etc #-o

wish to share my cousin's unpleasant experience; - an existing web link on the event sutra551689.html#551689


anyway, my cousin saw :shooting: their posting on Wednesday classified again


Unlike European, US. OZ and NZ countries where they do have an Employment Relation Authority aka MOM but with alot of teeth in it , SG does not have that per se. As MOM guideline clearly states in Statutory Law under Employment Act which covers low paid workers whereby the Employment Act will encompass this group of workers when a employment contract is not in place especially for daily rated, odd job laborers and foreign workers in the construction industry.
Your employment contract supersedes this Employment Act.
thanks for your attention, thanks for sharing much on my cousin's plight :)

As always advised by MOM, you need to read carefully your contract before signing on the dotted line. If you thinking you are at a disadvantage position, MOM will advise you to engage a lawyer to proceed with legal proceeding if you have signed on the dotted line and wished to have a legal recourse due to this disadvantage befalling on you.
As you an FT, no one forced you to take up that job, you should have read carefully before signing anything. If you have signed it, then you are legally binded by that employment contract.
FT? my cousin is a local

In your eagerness to place your toes in the door, you should have been more careful. It is clearly that this is your fault. Some employers will take advantage of this loophole. It is unscrupulous and despicable on their part. So my advice is THE DEVIL IS ALWAYS IN THE DETAILS. If you fail to read, then this failure will bring to your own demise
guess my cousin is aware, just didn't expect that that lame co actually dismissed her just because she wanted the duplicate copies of what she had signed - i.e. letter of employment contract

thus, am sharing her affliction online.. to let ones who's applying for admin exec, secretarial positions to be aware of this


User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 4:02 am

Now you got it all wrong. It does not matter if she is a labor worker, toilet cleaner or anything at all. Employment guideline are there to be adhere to and the contractual agreement between two parties is legal be it in tort, contract, implied or otherwise. Legal recourse is the last avenue if all fails
Has she gone to seek MOM assistance ?
Under Employment Act even if there is no papers to proof it, if she can proof she did work there then there is some ground to move forward.
MOM will take this up if her pay is less than $2.5K (Not sure exact figure) as this is pure discrimination and illegal on the part of the employer.
Moreover she is a local. Even if she seek legal counsel under the ground of litigation, the legal fees will be borne by the employer if she has proof of illegal employment act by the employer.
Even a police report can be made as evidence against them
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 4:22 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Has she gone to seek MOM assistance ?


My gut is that she didn't. I suspect she received good advice, had the opportunity to gather evidence (per Carteki etc) and did nothing about it.

Extent of action, complaining at length to no benefit on this forum.

Shiranaihito, sound about right?

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 04 May 2009

Postby shiranaihito » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 6:43 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Now you got it all wrong. It does not matter if she is a labor worker, toilet cleaner or anything at all. Employment guideline are there to be adhere to and the contractual agreement between two parties is legal be it in tort, contract, implied or otherwise. Legal recourse is the last avenue if all fails
Has she gone to seek MOM assistance ?
Under Employment Act even if there is no papers to proof it, if she can proof she did work there then there is some ground to move forward.
MOM will take this up if her pay is less than $2.5K (Not sure exact figure) as this is pure discrimination and illegal on the part of the employer.
When the hr manager again gave her another 'reason' on not giving her the duplicate copies of the letter of employment in her 2nd attempt, she did asked for advice via the feedback form in mom website.

Moreover she is a local. Even if she seek legal counsel under the ground of litigation, the legal fees will be borne by the employer if she has proof of illegal employment act by the employer. Even a police report can be made as evidence against them
Well, it is what we expected. She received an amount after deduction of CPF contribution & CDAC fund. Again, she requested to have a copy of the payment voucher from the hr manager but he said it's already with the boss. Anyway, she used the formula shown in MOM website to calculate the salary payable to a monthly-rated employee for an incomplete month of work but still couldn't get the above figure. On the same day, she confided in mom and asked them to help her to calculate the figure for her as figures don't tally. Last night, she told me she only received e-reply from mom yesterday. Really that co have underpaid her. Her worries: - 'can she still claim back her rightful remaining amount of salary and the appropriate CPF contribution by them ?, since she does not has any good supporting documents to prove her existence there, except for some copies of the time card that she managed to make copies'

On 28-10-2011, my cousin was in the daze when the hr manager told her that she was dismissed, she asked for the compensation of one month salary yet he actually said: 'no, we didn't terminate you...... why not have a good dispersion, then they issued her a letter indicating that they agreed to release her immediately etcs. At that point of time, what can she still do right, no choice but to agree though felt 'lugi'.


User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 9:25 am

shiranaihito wrote:Well, it is what we expected. She received an amount after deduction of CPF contribution & CDAC fund. Again, she requested to have a copy of the payment voucher from the hr manager but he said it's already with the boss. Anyway, she used the formula shown in MOM website to calculate the salary payable to a monthly-rated employee for an incomplete month of work but still couldn't get the above figure. On the same day, she confided in mom and asked them to help her to calculate the figure for her as figures don't tally. Last night, she told me she only received e-reply from mom yesterday. Really that co have underpaid her. Her worries: - 'can she still claim back her rightful remaining amount of salary and the appropriate CPF contribution by them ?, since she does not has any good supporting documents to prove her existence there, except for some copies of the time card that she managed to make copies'

On 28-10-2011, my cousin was in the daze when the hr manager told her that she was dismissed, she asked for the compensation of one month salary yet he actually said: 'no, we didn't terminate you...... why not have a good dispersion, then they issued her a letter indicating that they agreed to release her immediately etcs. At that point of time, what can she still do right, no choice but to agree though felt 'lugi'.

[/quote]

There you go again not understanding the whole issue. First of all

It is "RUGI" not "LUGI" which means loss.

If she is underpaid, she is legally entitled to the discrepancy in calculation.

If she is not terminated, and she signed the agreement to that effect then there is no other dispute other then the payment for the work done

You are mixing emotion with guideline which does not help the situation.

IMHO what the HR said or you said or she said is only based on hearsay as there is no concrete evidence to go about.

Your Post basically pure of emotional inaccuracy or misguided information . I am stating based on guidelines on how to resolve your grievances and I am not into the emotional part of thing.
If she has gone down this path then let lesson be learned as she is as at fault as the employer. It takes two to tango
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

shiranaihito
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 04 May 2009

Postby shiranaihito » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:49 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
shiranaihito wrote:Well, it is what we expected. She received an amount after deduction of CPF contribution & CDAC fund. Again, she requested to have a copy of the payment voucher from the hr manager but he said it's already with the boss. Anyway, she used the formula shown in MOM website to calculate the salary payable to a monthly-rated employee for an incomplete month of work but still couldn't get the above figure. On the same day, she confided in mom and asked them to help her to calculate the figure for her as figures don't tally. Last night, she told me she only received e-reply from mom yesterday. Really that co have underpaid her. Her worries: - 'can she still claim back her rightful remaining amount of salary and the appropriate CPF contribution by them ?, since she does not has any good supporting documents to prove her existence there, except for some copies of the time card that she managed to make copies'

On 28-10-2011, my cousin was in the daze when the hr manager told her that she was dismissed, she asked for the compensation of one month salary yet he actually said: 'no, we didn't terminate you...... why not have a good dispersion, then they issued her a letter indicating that they agreed to release her immediately etcs. At that point of time, what can she still do right, no choice but to agree though felt 'lugi'.



There you go again not understanding the whole issue. First of all

It is "RUGI" not "LUGI" which means loss.

If she is underpaid, she is legally entitled to the discrepancy in calculation.

If she is not terminated, and she signed the agreement to that effect then there is no other dispute other then the payment for the work done

You are mixing emotion with guideline which does not help the situation.

:oops: thank you on the correction. Glad to know she is legally entitled to the discrepancy in calculation. Thanks for letting me know that the way I phrased it is emotional. Yes, mixing emotion doesn't help. Thank you for the clarification, appreciated your time & attention :)

IMHO what the HR said or you said or she said is only based on hearsay as there is no concrete evidence to go about.

Your Post basically pure of emotional inaccuracy or misguided information . I am stating based on guidelines on how to resolve your grievances and I am not into the emotional part of thing.
If she has gone down this path then let lesson be learned as she is as at fault as the employer. It takes two to tango
Can tell if she's lying or not when she's confiding in me in person on the same day, not on the phone. Possibilities of truth is high, IMHO it's unlikely that one can still think of the opposition's replies in such a short time/in that plight, then tell another party. Disagreed with the underlined. It's good to know anyway. Really, thank you for sharing your opinion, your advice, your time, your attention, truly appreciated, every replies of yours helps :)[/quote]


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: singaporetopsights and 2 guests