Singapore Expats Forum

urgent - s-pass got approved, now employer wants to cancel

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dac4158

urgent - s-pass got approved, now employer wants to cancel

Postby dac4158 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:54 am

Hi,

As stated, my S-pass is already approved and I already did the fingerprint registration. The pass is due to collect within 3 days.

This morning got a call from HR, saying that the boss wants to cancel my pass, without any reasons. After telling the HR that this is just ridiculous, she said the boss will give me a call later.

So nervous now as in the worst case, I got only 1 month pass to look for another job. The most fk-ed up thing is that I had to surrender my long term pass to ICA and the pass still has validity until April 2012.

Has anyone had similar experiences and what would you advise me to do? Look for another job ASAP? Ask ICA to get my long term pass back?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: urgent - s-pass got approved, now employer wants to canc

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 1:52 pm

dac4158 wrote:Hi,

As stated, my S-pass is already approved and I already did the fingerprint registration. The pass is due to collect within 3 days.

This morning got a call from HR, saying that the boss wants to cancel my pass, without any reasons. After telling the HR that this is just ridiculous, she said the boss will give me a call later.

So nervous now as in the worst case, I got only 1 month pass to look for another job. The most fk-ed up thing is that I had to surrender my long term pass to ICA and the pass still has validity until April 2012.

Has anyone had similar experiences and what would you advise me to do? Look for another job ASAP? Ask ICA to get my long term pass back?

You can't do nothing .. how was your LTVP ? was it awarded based on your EPEC or otherwise ?

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 2:27 pm

You may try to ask the employer to issue a letter indicating clearly the reason they wanna cancel your s-pass. Then you may come to explain the situation and get advised from an MOM officer, it's no harm to try! Good luck!
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 2:58 pm

vnpan wrote:You may try to ask the employer to issue a letter indicating clearly the reason they wanna cancel your s-pass. Then you may come to explain the situation and get advised from an MOM officer, it's no harm to try! Good luck!

errr .. a simple question .. ask MOM officer for what advice, if I may ask ??

For cancellation, of course, the employer has to provide the letter for cancellation, else MOM will not cancel the Psas.

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 3:05 pm

In most of the cases, employees should be able to seek advices for their situations, just clearly explain the situation and ask the MOM officer if there is any chance to keep or re-gain the LTVP.
@ecureilx: hv you never asked before? yet I did and it worked.
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 3:12 pm

I was not in that situation, but accompanied some of my ex-colleagues, when they got their passes terminated.

When MOM officers are asked for advice, this is what they had to say every time, when asked for advice: "your employer doesn't want you, so please find a new employer or depart .. " Oh, of course, depending upon the officer, they may not be stingy in the SVP, issued by MOM, pending the next pass process and I have got 3 X 30 day extensions .. at MOM .. as long as there was a pass application pending ..

As for your LTVP question, let me tell you what they will say, 99% of the time ..

LTVP is by ICA, and being a different agency, MOM staff will try hard not to say anything that can be held against MOM staff .. and will hang out a dozen disclaimers .. and will never commit to anything ..

Of course, as you say .. you can try .. but don't have high hopes .. like suing the employer and all .. never gonna work ...
Last edited by ecureilx on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 3:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
vnpan wrote:In most of the cases, employees should be able to seek advices for their situations, just clearly explain the situation and ask the MOM officer if there is any chance to keep or re-gain the LTVP.
@ecureilx: hv you never asked before? yet I did and it worked.

I was not in that situation, but accompanied some of my ex-colleagues, when they got their passes terminated.

When MOM officers are asked for advice, this is what they had to say every time, when asked for advice: "your employer doesn't want you, so please find a new employer or depart .. " Oh, of course, depending upon the officer, they may not be stingy in the SVP, issued by MOM, pending the next pass process and I have got 3 X 30 day extensions .. at MOM .. as long as there was a pass application pending ..

As for your LTVP question, let me tell you what they will say, 99% of the time ..

LTVP is by ICA, and being a different agency, MOM staff will try hard not to say anything that can be held against MOM staff .. and will hang out a dozen disclaimers .. and will never commit to anything ..

Of course, as you say .. you can try .. but don't have high hopes .. like suing the employer and all .. never gonna work ...

Let me ask you, are you a representative of MOM who able to answer for this case? and from what source did you come out with '99%' of possibility of the answer? but yet, it may be true for some cases (agree abt the LTVP and ICA) and may not for others, so there is possibility, even very slim, nothing stops OP form trying out and you gain nothing unless you try.
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 3:58 pm

vnpan wrote:Let me ask you, are you a representative of MOM who able to answer for this case? and from what source did you come out with '99%' of possibility of the answer? but yet, it may be true for some cases (agree abt the LTVP and ICA) and may not for others, so there is possibility, even very slim, nothing stops OP form trying out and you gain nothing unless you try.

No, I am not an employee of MOM .. or do I represent MOM ..

I was quoting from my having spent 5 years of my life, processing / cancelling about 4 dozen plus plus plus Passes at MOM .. and assisting in Appeals and everything .. wanna stake your claim to fame ? unless you are just firing from the hip ???

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 4:34 pm

@ecureilx: as you see, I'm coming with a friendly attitude, not seeking any fight nor argument, so do not take it serious of my comments not in aligning with OP's question. Just try to help and gain knowledge only. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
To Be or Not To Be

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:33 pm

ecureilx:
I was quoting from my having spent 5 years of my life, processing / cancelling about 4 dozen plus plus plus Passes at MOM .. and assisting in Appeals and everything .. wanna stake your claim to fame ? unless you are just firing from the hip ???
:lol: You are making me work harder, as I have to copy and paste to read. Be more considerate to the aged population and A MOD :lol: God Bless Him.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:39 pm

ksl wrote:
ecureilx:
:lol: You are making me work harder, as I have to copy and paste to read. Be more considerate to the aged population and A MOD :lol:

oops ..

PS: that was the whole idea .. in super-small sizing the font :D :D

vnpan

Postby vnpan » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 1:56 pm

wanna stake your claim to fame ? unless you are just firing from the hip ???

what did you mean? unless you make it clear, pls dont talk non-sense.
To Be or Not To Be

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 2:04 pm

vnpan wrote:
wanna stake your claim to fame ? unless you are just firing from the hip ???

what did you mean? unless you make it clear, pls dont talk non-sense.

Thank you