Singapore Expats

Graduate wanting to come to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Odendaal

Graduate wanting to come to Singapore

Post by Odendaal » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 4:14 am

I am a young South African graduate with a four year (honours) in finance. I am also a candidate CFA currently doing level three of the exams. I would like to come to singapore to gain international experience.

What would be the best way of going about this and is would it be possible to find a job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 5:00 am

Intra-company transfer.

Otherwise right now I can't see any reason (or justification) of what you can do that locals cannot to gain an employment pass on your own merits.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 5:17 pm

Internship is the way to go for students and fresh graduates. It gives you very little money, but a foot in the door.
Otherwise, as JR8 said, work in a company with Singapore connections for a few years and, with luck and hard work, you might get a transfer.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 5:50 pm

Good point, I was thinking more along the lines of career move than simple exposure.

Of course an internship could turn into a career move :)

Odendaal

Post by Odendaal » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:22 pm

Its good to hear that it is possible.

Would an internship pay enough to survive on and how would I go about finding one?

Is it best to come over on a visitors visa and look for an intership?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:31 pm

How much an internship pays differes from company to company, between nothing and just enough for daily expenses.
So you should be prepared to at least pay for travel here/back and rent from your own pocket. Rent is expensive (count yourself lucky if you find a sublet room below S$800/month), so if they throw in accommodation, you are a winner!