Singapore Expats Forum

PR Approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

PR Approved

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 3:36 pm

I thought I'd post this info in case it's of help to anyone...

Just received PR approval for myself and family (British/Spanish, 2 daughters). Originally came to Singapore in 2004 on a P1 EP (and DPs). Granted PEP in 2007. Applied for PR at the end of June and was told I would be informed of the outcome within 4-6 months.

Hope this gives some encouragement to others who are still awaiting the results of their own applications.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 6:56 pm

Congratulations. So, once more it would appear that certain flavour are more in vogue than others, at least for the time being.

E-CBS
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri, 11 Feb 2011
Location: Singapore

Postby E-CBS » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 8:53 pm

SMS, which flavor has lesser chance in your opinion, just wondering..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:13 pm

Currently? At the bottom of the heap (from the gahmen's point of view) would be Indians primarily because since Y2K, during Singapore's push in the IT sector, they haphazardly let in way too many Indians and weren't aware of the Indian "hobby" of collecting PR's in various countries as many of them do. This caused a skewing of the demographics resulting in a population increase in the resident population from 7% to between 9~10% Indian population. This has caused consternation among the majority race because they have (the majority) the small TFR of all the races here. Therefore, unless you are "really" bringing something to the table, you can almost forget getting PR. PEP yeah, cause that's only for 5 years anyway, max, after that they would have to apply for PR (which at the present time isn't really an option) or go back on EP. Or sent packing.

Secondly, I think it's a toss up between PRC's & The Philippines. PRC's because the majority race (man on the street) don't really like them as they are much more competitive than the local Chinese AND the local women think that they are only here to steal the local man/money. :-/

Filipinos? Most like to use Singapore as a stepping stone to other countries. It used to be Europeans who had the hardest time because of has room to grow? Seems to be a lot still getting PR from there so I'm only guessing. It may well be the same amount but with the reduction in the other approvals, it just seems like more.

I may well be wrong with my prognosis, but I'm going by what I see & hear on this board and several others as well as within my own company (220 staff).

sms

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 8:45 am

The clapping of the wind tells me they are going to give more leeway on foreign spouse but with a twist no blue but instant red.
This is the problem when armchair Ah Pek and Ah Neh sit around the table at the Kopi Tiam sipping kopi O. Wondering if the Roti Prata is good to eat after the last diarrohea they had. Finally, they decided on Nasi Lemak , Fish and Chips and Vietnamese Rice. Not sure whether these choice of food will make them going to the loo or not
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 8:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Filipinos? Most like to use Singapore as a stepping stone to other countries.


Not so much anymore as my ilk now "settles for Singapore" given the country's proximity, relative standard of living and difficulty (and cost) of getting visas elsewhere.

What I have noticed is that when people get their PR, after less than five years, they realize they won't like it if they stay here for long and just decide to go home anyway.

It doesn't change the fact there are a lot more Filipino Singaporeans than I care to realize.

:-|

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 9:15 am

Which, funnily enough, is exactly what happens to the bulk of Singaporeans (defo not all though - MS being a good example). They immigrate but after 5~10 years got to have their Chicken Rice or cannot handle the same racism they used to dish out when in Singapore. It's a different story once the shoe goes on the other foot. From big fish in little pond to guppy in ocean...... :-/

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which, funnily enough, is exactly what happens to the bulk of Singaporeans (defo not all though - MS being a good example). They immigrate but after 5~10 years got to have their Chicken Rice or cannot handle the same racism they used to dish out when in Singapore. It's a different story once the shoe goes on the other foot. From big fish in little pond to guppy in ocean...... :-/


A lot of people think they can handle it but then they realize their world view is not 'worldly' enough. Oh how many times I've heard, "I didn't know that (name of race) acted (behavior not common in speaker's culture)."

Xenophobia--people won't admit they have it.

leeste
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 15 May 2011

Postby leeste » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:57 am

I unexpectedly received my approval today for PR as well. Applied on 4 Nov 2011 as the spouse of a Singaporean citizen. Was on a LTVP and had lived in SG with my husband for ~ 5 weeks at the time of application. I'm Canadian but ethnically Chinese, and have been married just under 2 years (registered at ROM) with no kids.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 6:00 am

leeste wrote:I unexpectedly received my approval today for PR as well. Applied on 4 Nov 2011 as the spouse of a Singaporean citizen. Was on a LTVP and had lived in SG with my husband for ~ 5 weeks at the time of application. I'm Canadian but ethnically Chinese, and have been married just under 2 years (registered at ROM) with no kids.


You are those that they are looking for. Nothing to surprise about.
Basically you are Chinese and married to a Chinese local, what more do I have to say? Perfect match made in heaven

Congratulation anyway !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

disorderly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 02 Dec 2011

Postby disorderly » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:25 am

I'd like to share our case also.

First, thanks to everybody involved/contributing on this board. Have been a huge help for us.

I just got my PR approval today. Application was early October 2011, under the spouse scheme.

Our background:
- We are both Chinese Indonesian. Wife is PR for around 7 years, has been living in SG since 3 years before that.
- We both have Masters (seems like this piece of info is very important around here) :lol: , from a european country.
- I came to SG on EP, wife has been working here first after back from studies in Europe, and we got married around one year after that.
- Oct 2011 I applied for PR under her sponsor

As I am on EP, I could apply on my own merit, but after reading the board and asking around, we decided to go with spouse sponsorship. In fact, the officer also asked, why I did not apply on my own, which we say that we believe this is the better way (dont know true or not).
At time of application, no children yet, but wife is pregnant (I dont this is indicated/noted anywhere).

We are quite happy for this approval, as I remember reading somewhere in the board, someone mentioned Indonesian are not flavour of the month....

Anyway, thanks again to all of you on the board :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:42 am

disorderly wrote:- We both have Masters (seems like this piece of info is very important around here) :lol: , from a european country.


This happened to be a private joke around here :cool: :lol: :P :devil:

Anyway congratulations! :D

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 11:05 am

disorderly wrote:I'd like to share our case also.

First, thanks to everybody involved/contributing on this board. Have been a huge help for us.

I just got my PR approval today. Application was early October 2011, under the spouse scheme.

Our background:
- We are both Chinese Indonesian. Wife is PR for around 7 years, has been living in SG since 3 years before that.
- We both have Masters (seems like this piece of info is very important around here) :lol: , from a european country.
- I came to SG on EP, wife has been working here first after back from studies in Europe, and we got married around one year after that.
- Oct 2011 I applied for PR under her sponsor

As I am on EP, I could apply on my own merit, but after reading the board and asking around, we decided to go with spouse sponsorship. In fact, the officer also asked, why I did not apply on my own, which we say that we believe this is the better way (dont know true or not).
At time of application, no children yet, but wife is pregnant (I dont this is indicated/noted anywhere).

We are quite happy for this approval, as I remember reading somewhere in the board, someone mentioned Indonesian are not flavour of the month....

Anyway, thanks again to all of you on the board :)


I am the person that states the flavour of each individual recipe. What I do know I disseminate for the betterment of others. At least for those serious applicant or abuser know their chances . It is very easy to be dislike at this current level. Those abuser will have second thoughts on going forward and give those with real chance of approval a lifeline. For everyone of this flavour being approved , there are many that were rejected. Do you know that only 30K being approved this year compare to 120K a few years back. That is BIG Reduction.
It takes more and the AH PEK and AH SOH needs to see your commitment and needless to say you meet the eye. Capsice?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

disorderly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 02 Dec 2011

Postby disorderly » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 9:27 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I am the person that states the flavour of each individual recipe. What I do know I disseminate for the betterment of others.


Yes, I remember now.
Your posts gave quite an insight to the whole system, thank you for that.

We were a bit worried that our showing of commitment is not strong enough, given previous "track records" of our fellow country-people and the fact they tighten the selection parameters, but looks like that whatever measures they are using seem like be serving the purposes good enough :)


30K from 120K? :shock:
Is that for Indonesian only? Or the trend is similar accross different nationalities?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:15 pm

The drop from 120K to 30K this year went across the whole spectrum of immigrant countries, however, we think the hardest hit were those from the subcontinent (due to the demographic percentage of them rising 2% across the whole population) followed by possibly the Philippines. The rest only due to them tightening up of criteria across the board.

We've been given to understand that it's only the tip of the iceberg that is going to collide with the FT's


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests