Singapore Expats Forum

Any musicians?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
jwl298

Any musicians?

Postby jwl298 » Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:49 am

Hi, I'm 23 yrs old and moved here about 7 months ago from the US. I am a bass player looking to get some kind of original project going (all I've been able to find so far are cover bands and punk/death metal groups which really aren't my style). If you play any instrument or sing and are interested, let me know. I'm looking for something funky, electronic, experimental like The New Deal, STS9, Thievery Corporation, Younger Brother, etc...

Justin

lilbabyj

hey

Postby lilbabyj » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Justin, I play the guitar and sing mostly top 40s but im keen to explore on new stuff. Maybe we could jam together?

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:24 pm

Hey - could you tell me a bit about yourself - experience/favorite style of music, etc... It's just that I've met with so many people and mostly they are just into straight rock stuff and it is a bit boring to me (nothing wrong with it, I just find it not fun to play). Have you heard of/do you enjoy any of the bands I listed?

lilbabyj

Postby lilbabyj » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 4:08 pm

hey, i listen to ellie goulding, crystal castle, flight facilities, foster the people. I like to strip it to acoustic form. i did some youtube videos. But its more mainstream popular music. u can search for rockerchicccc. Im not a professional. Do you have a youtube channel?

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 6:02 pm

I don't have a channel but I could put something up if needed. I'm no pro either but I'm not a beginner (as I see you aren't either). My main style is funk/open jam but I am trying to move into more electronic groove-oriented music. Acoustic wouldn't really fit unless it was an added overtone or riff. How are you with an electric? Also, do you know any other musicians?

edit: "how are YOU with an electric"*
Last edited by jwl298 on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 9:07 pm

well im not a musician instead im a freelance music journalist.
and im a huge fan of STS9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!finally see somebody here talking about them,saw them in 09 and they were amazing!!!

let's meet up at least we're both music persons in different angles though i guess.hahaha.

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Tue, 08 Nov 2011 9:16 pm

music journalist? are you writing a new piece.

and yea it's really the one thing I miss about the states - amazing live music everywhere

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Postby AngelJoy » Wed, 09 Nov 2011 5:11 am

just did the interview with the national so yeah about to finish my article of the band.

true say!i miss the music scene in Chicago.

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Wed, 09 Nov 2011 6:35 pm

Do you know any musicians that play anything besides punk/metal/covers? In my short experience here there are not many - I found two guys that I jam with from time to time who are great but our schedules don't work so well so it's not really a dedicated thing. ](*,)

I really want to get a live jam/electronic scene going here but I just have nowhere to start

Snowfly
Regular
Regular

Postby Snowfly » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:09 am

Hey I'd be keen to try something, my Telecaster's been sitting idle for way too long now. I play a lot more mellow stuff than punk and metal and dabble in sequencing, maybe we can work something out.But you'll have to introduce me to the sound you're after, I'm a bit behind on my electronic.

I know an electronic musician who might help round out the sound if he isn't too caught up with work.

Check out my Soundcloud, I threw together some electronic demos of alt songs I used to listen to.

http://soundcloud.com/dogseyeview/sets/demos

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:10 pm

Snowfly wrote:Hey I'd be keen to try something, my Telecaster's been sitting idle for way too long now. I play a lot more mellow stuff than punk and metal and dabble in sequencing, maybe we can work something out.But you'll have to introduce me to the sound you're after, I'm a bit behind on my electronic.

I know an electronic musician who might help round out the sound if he isn't too caught up with work.

Check out my Soundcloud, I threw together some electronic demos of alt songs I used to listen to.

http://soundcloud.com/dogseyeview/sets/demos

nice arrangements - Whatever I fear is my favorite out of the 3. yea I'd be interested in trying something out - do you know a drummer (or maybe we can just arrange samples or something - I can get a copy of Abelton Live from a friend if necessary)?

Check out Thievery Corporation and Sound Tribe Sector 9, see if you like them or let me know if you want some recommended tracks.

Snowfly
Regular
Regular

Postby Snowfly » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 5:25 pm

yeah we could start playing over loops, so much easier to set up that way. i know one really versatile drummer, but he's in town just one week a month.. what about a keyboard player?

i listen to a ton of thievery corporation, checking out sts9 now. they're pretty cool live .. i'll throw in holy freak and mr. meeble for two more bands i listen to doing the live electronica thing. and of course these guys- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuunY8BTqNs

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Tue, 15 Nov 2011 5:42 pm

yea that cover is awesome I was blown away the first time I saw it - I've actually been thinking of grabbing the source audio stuff the bassist is using.

I don't know many musicians here but yea a keys player is definitely wanted, especially someone that can mess with live samples and loops. I have Abelton now btw and am borrowing my friend's M Audio DI

Mixikyr
Regular
Regular

Postby Mixikyr » Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:49 am

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwl298

Postby jwl298 » Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:12 pm

So between the three of us we have guitar keys and bass with DAW capabilities... Any interest in getting something started? Do you have any samples of your stuff?