Singapore Expats Forum

Advice on PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
alnn

Advice on PR

Postby alnn » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:37 pm

Hello

I was working and living in Singapore for 6 years previously, bought my own property there and my wife (not working) and I had our 2 children (girl and boy) in Singapore. We were previously on Employment Pass (p2) and Dependant Passes.

I was sent a letter to apply for PR but didnt do so at the time as I got transferred by my company back to the UK to work. I have now been in the UK for about 2 years and it looks like I can get a transfer back into Singapore again.

This time, we would like to stay in Singapore permanently (and not be subject to company transfers). We did keep our Singapore property which we bought before. Would anyone know whether it would be difficult to get PR for me and my family this time round, and does my past history of working/living in Singapore be relevant? How long should we wait before applying for PR this time round?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Advice on PR

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 5:04 am

alnn wrote:Hello

I was working and living in Singapore for 6 years previously, bought my own property there and my wife (not working) and I had our 2 children (girl and boy) in Singapore. We were previously on Employment Pass (p2) and Dependant Passes.

I was sent a letter to apply for PR but didnt do so at the time as I got transferred by my company back to the UK to work. I have now been in the UK for about 2 years and it looks like I can get a transfer back into Singapore again.

This time, we would like to stay in Singapore permanently (and not be subject to company transfers). We did keep our Singapore property which we bought before. Would anyone know whether it would be difficult to get PR for me and my family this time round, and does my past history of working/living in Singapore be relevant? How long should we wait before applying for PR this time round?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Is you children a SG or British subject. Looks more like a Brits

If this is the case you have to find employment first then apply PR after living here for the next 2 years at least to show you are paying SG Income Tax.
Owning a property would not do as it does not add to Gahmen coffers

Yes past history is relevant BUT you find employment first. A P1 will be ideal
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

alnn

Postby alnn » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, both children are Brits even though born in Singapore.

I will get employment - it will be in the same company I was in previously in Singapore, and now in the UK, and then transfer back again to Singapore.

I have read lots of posts in this forum and can see that the longer you stay, the better the chances of PR - which makes sense, as one needs to show committment to Singapore. However, work required me to transfer out of Singapore, hence we lost the previous 6 years continuous length of time.

My son is near school age, and as I would like him to go the local school route, the PR is important. Otherwise, we would wait out the 2 years or beyond to apply for PR to better our chances. Does anyone know if one can successfully apply for PR without waiting the 2/3 years to show tax assessments? Of course I can show the previous 6 years tax assessments in my previous stay (ie, from the same company as I would be employed going forward), but not sure if that is enough.

Thanks again for any thoughts.

alnn

Postby alnn » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:07 pm

Sorry, I also forgot to ask - is it better to apply for PR as a whole family unit (wife is not working, although tertiary educated, plus son and daughter); or better to apply on my own first and then bring in the family?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:38 pm

If you have a male child is it always better to apply as a family unit. The fact that you ar willing to commit you son for NS helps to show that you are serious about sinking roots here. (at least in theory). However, yes, 2 years is a good start. I would forget about pointing out that you were here for 6 years already as it shows that you are willing to leave if the money is right. Not good. :-k

alnn

Postby alnn » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:50 pm

Actually, the money was better in Singapore! I was asked to transfer as my company required me back in the UK to assist, but understood that a transfer back to Singapore was in the cards a couple of years down the track.

Just not sure how to show the committment to Singapore on paper application, given my circumstances.

The PR application wasn't urgent at first, as we could always get employment passes etc. , but then we researched and decided we prefer the local school system for our son, and hence the urgency now. We don't have time to wait for 2 years...!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:47 pm

Give it 6 months and give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Who knows, We have another current thread where they just got the Hubby's PR in 3 months, albeit, on the Family Ties Scheme, Actually, when you apply, your previous employment here will already be noted as you will have the same FIN number so all your records will be in the same place.

Go for it. Good Luck.

sms

alnn

Postby alnn » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for that, and the advice to apply as a family unit.