Singapore Expats

Natural birth in Singapore?

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
AmericaninSG

Natural birth in Singapore?

Post by AmericaninSG » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 6:16 pm

Does anyone know of any natural birthing centers or any midwife that is willing to do a home birth?

My wife and I are planning to have a baby next year and we are thinking of doing it in California where we are from at a natural birthing center.... but if there is one in Singapore that would be much better because I work here and if my wife gives birth in America... then I will have to stay here for work and she will have to go back or a few months...

mrstt

Post by mrstt » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 3:19 pm

I would suggest to check with Dr. Paul Tseng in Thomson Medical Centre. He is probably the most pronatural doctor in Singapore and I read that he has done a couple of home deliveries.

I was trying to find a bit of information on homebirth when I was pregnant. There is no such thing in Singapore as home delivery with a midwife, a doctor has to be present and Dr. Paul Tseng is the only doctor or one of the very few who would do that. He delivered my twins and was the only doctor who was willing to let me have a natural birth if I had no complication with my pregnancy. Other doctors told me to book a c-section when I was only 3 months pregnant!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 6:04 pm

AFAIK Dr. Tseng is the *only* doctor who will consider home births and charges accordingly. I had a natural birth at NUH in the waterbirthing suite with Prof. Mary Rauff. There are no birthing centres or registered midwives here, all births need to be attended by an obstetrician.

FWIW, I really don't think it's worth going back to the USA to give birth! She can have a wonderful birthing experience here in Singapore. If she has questions about my experience I'd be happy to share.

AmericaninSG

Post by AmericaninSG » Sun, 06 Nov 2011 4:10 pm

thanks for the feedback... I will consider and look up Dr Tseng.

C-Section is out of the question, unless its absolutely needed.

abi1515

Post by abi1515 » Wed, 30 Nov 2011 9:40 pm

Dr Lai Fon Min from 'A Company for Women' at Camden medical centre is the man to contact. He will attend home births. Dr Lai is amazing and all about the mother, the baby and the experience for all. FWIW I had a beautiful natural delivery without pain relief or assistance in a hospital room here. You take the atmosphere with you I guess. Can't wait for the next one :-) Hope we're still here, if so it will be Dr Lai and a home birth for sure, I'll start saving now ;-)

AmericaninSG

Post by AmericaninSG » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 7:45 pm

thanks for the reply.

how much do these people charge for home births?

budfox

Post by budfox » Sun, 28 Oct 2012 9:15 am

Agree - My wife and I have nothing but good thing to say about Paul Tseng.

He was open to birth plans, working with doulas, and for the most part stuck to all our birthing requests.

My only advise would be to try to deliver at Mt. Alvernia (where Dr. Paul also delivers) instead of Thomson. Nursing staff is borderline incompetent at Thomson.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:41 pm

i have nothing but good things to say about mt alvernia, a not-for-profit catholic hospital, complete with a chapel for the difficult times.