Singapore Expats

Acquiring Singapore Citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
prkhanna

Acquiring Singapore Citizenship

Post by prkhanna » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:49 am

1952. I was born in Singapore. My mother was born in Singapore in 1929. But, when I was 6 my family left Singapore and I relocated with them.

2011. I have been living outside Singapore, and I am now 59.

Does anyone have any idea whether I can get a Singapore passport and settle down in Singapore?

My understanding is that I never lose my Singapore citizenship, as both my mother and I were born in Singapore.

Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Acquiring Singapore Citizenship

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 1:23 pm

prkhanna wrote:1952. I was born in Singapore. My mother was born in Singapore in 1929. But, when I was 6 my family left Singapore and I relocated with them.

2011. I have been living outside Singapore, and I am now 59.

Does anyone have any idea whether I can get a Singapore passport and settle down in Singapore?

My understanding is that I never lose my Singapore citizenship, as both my mother and I were born in Singapore.

Could anyone enlighten me on this?
31st August 1957 is the date when SG and M'sia is under one country under the Federation. Since you are born in 1959 you would have acquire Citizenship to that effect. DO you have that citizenship certificate ?
Have you acquired SG PP or were you holding another PP while living overseas? Which country are you residing right now ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

prkhanna

Post by prkhanna » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 7:57 pm

I was born in 1952. I do have my birth certificate. My old passport used to state that I am a British Subject.

Since I was six years old I have lived in India and in USA (green card). Now I hold an Indian passport as my father was born in India.

Is it possible to get a Singapore passport based upon my Singapore birth certificate? I also think that my mother has her birth certificate from Singapore when it was a British colony.

Thanks.

[/quote] 31st August 1957 is the date when SG and M'sia is under one country under the Federation. Since you are born in 1959 you would have acquire Citizenship to that effect. DO you have that citizenship certificate ?
Have you acquired SG PP or were you holding another PP while living overseas? Which country are you residing right now ?[/quote]

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 05 Nov 2011 5:09 am

prkhanna wrote:I was born in 1952. I do have my birth certificate. My old passport used to state that I am a British Subject.

Since I was six years old I have lived in India and in USA (green card). Now I hold an Indian passport as my father was born in India.

Is it possible to get a Singapore passport based upon my Singapore birth certificate? I also think that my mother has her birth certificate from Singapore when it was a British colony.

Does the birth cert states Singapore or Malaysian Federation citizen ?

You have to revalidate your SG BC with ICA or SG Overseas Misson first only then you can get SG PP BUT you need to renounce your other citizenship.
You cannot go around collecting Citizenship and PP for the fun of it. It does not work that way
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!