Singapore Expats Forum

How long does it take to be awarded your foreign work quota?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

How long does it take to be awarded your foreign work quota?

Postby longstebe » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 6:26 pm

It's difficult to say exactly when the MD applied for it but I'm guessing somewhere around May (2011) give or take a month.
The company (20,000sq ft) will be a precision machine shop for the oil and gas industry located in the Tuas area with its sister company based in Houston Texas.

I don't know if I'm getting the old cold shoulder or it genuinely does take this long. Starting a company up from scratch must be a huge task so I'm trying to be patient. From what I understand he would need to employ locals first or PR's.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby longstebe » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 1:58 pm

Doesn't look like I'm having much luck, any chance our beautiful moderators can maybe move this to the Relocating, visa for foreigners topic, pretty please.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How long does it take to be awarded your foreign work qu

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 2:34 pm

longstebe wrote:It's difficult to say exactly when the MD applied for it but I'm guessing somewhere around May (2011) give or take a month.
The company (20,000sq ft) will be a precision machine shop for the oil and gas industry located in the Tuas area with its sister company based in Houston Texas.

I don't know if I'm getting the old cold shoulder or it genuinely does take this long. Starting a company up from scratch must be a huge task so I'm trying to be patient. From what I understand he would need to employ locals first or PR's.

If he has the right consultant/company secretary, by now it should be up and running .. it takes about a couple of months to clear up all work, and if the initial paid up is sufficient, the EP will be a breeze.

And it is NOT A BIG TASK .. lawyers can do it without even the investor stepping foot in Singapore ..

Now if the company is started with a 2 $ paid up, and then even a million gets pumped in, the ACRA records accessible to MOM can take upto 3 months or more to reflect the revised paid up cap ..

Are you sure he is in for the deal ?? :D :D (No offense, but I have been bumped around by a few guys with nothing but smoke and mirrors .. )

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby longstebe » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply mate.

I was in SG with the MD at the end of April and they were only just laying the concrete pads for the machines.
From what I understand he is receiveng the machines in dribs and drabs.
When I mentioned it being a big task, what I should have said is the building was empty, he has to kit the place out entirely.
If the legal side of things takes only a couple of months then I don't know whats happening. These guys are certainly not short of a few bob.