Singapore Expats Forum

Why all the 'hatred' towards us 'foreigners'?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 6:14 am

Brah wrote:Anyone who does that is already sheep. Many times I don't need to know the language to know when it's being done, looking them straight in the eye gives them away.

BillyB wrote:
carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then I'm assuming under both Mandarin & Dialect, yeah?


SMS you make a very good point. I was chatting to a guy who lived here 8 years ago (he now studies overseas, but his parents are here). He picked up the local dialect in school and said you'd be amazed at what is said about you just walking down the street (in the local dialect) - its not pretty.

For those people who say that they've not experienced racism personally - that is completely possible for 2 reasons: a) racism very rarely manifests itself in a one-to-one interaction and b) the asian concept of "face" makes it even less likely that you'll be told to your face what your colleagues think.

I've seen the racism (disguised as cultural tolerance) between the 3 major ethnic groups here. It is definitely there and a basic way in which this country operates (although if you're Chinese you have no clue and think that this is how life actually is).


I'd agree with the bold part. This happens frequently in lifts, coffee shops, shops, restaurants, MRT. It's useful to have someone with you who understands all the dialects - aka my GF - and who will take on the racism and snide comments and embarrass them by replying with something really sarcastic in the same dialect. The sniper then turns extremely sheepish......


So my GF's a sheep because because she won't stand for someone swearing at us in a different language?! Interesting point of view.

The fact you don't know what is being said about you but believe you can 'read' the situation and give a stare to acknowledge - simply shows you are paranoid.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:00 am

My cousin, like me, is of course Western but spent many years in Japan and learned the language back home before teaching English there.

It is exactly the same in Japan.

Because he is Western the locals assumed he had no idea what they were saying and the stuff they were saying about him on the buses and in the trains etc. would turn a nun purple. The usual 'smelly' or 'pompous' foreigner etc. from young and old but in a Japanese 'bowing' environment.

It was a bit of a shock for him....... but more of a shock to the locals when he started shouting back at them in Japanese and embarrassing the hell out of them in public.

I know it happens to/about me here and everywhere. My wife stops me from following her into the wet market because she says 'You know, they just put the prices up when they see you, stay here.' It's something we, in the end, ignore. Some people cannot be fixed.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:17 am

so true.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 2:22 pm

Just ask them...where would they be without ALL the foreigners...no maids, no shipyards, no major finance bosses....does not bear thinking about really...
Lee Kwan Yew is right.....Singaporeans are spoiled and complain too much :wink:

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 5:18 pm

bluenose wrote:...... no major finance bosses....



I wouldn't use that one as a reference :wink:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 7:47 pm

Hmmm....that would be a paranoid, to use your word, misinterpretation of what I wrote, which was somewhat awkwardly worded.

The people talking about others to their faces in different languages are the sheep, as in cowards, not the follow-the-heard variety.

Re the reading, perhaps it just works better for me than it does for you. I've had a lot of practice here and in Japan.

BillyB wrote:
Brah wrote:Anyone who does that is already sheep. Many times I don't need to know the language to know when it's being done, looking them straight in the eye gives them away.

BillyB wrote:
carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then I'm assuming under both Mandarin & Dialect, yeah?


SMS you make a very good point. I was chatting to a guy who lived here 8 years ago (he now studies overseas, but his parents are here). He picked up the local dialect in school and said you'd be amazed at what is said about you just walking down the street (in the local dialect) - its not pretty.

For those people who say that they've not experienced racism personally - that is completely possible for 2 reasons: a) racism very rarely manifests itself in a one-to-one interaction and b) the asian concept of "face" makes it even less likely that you'll be told to your face what your colleagues think.

I've seen the racism (disguised as cultural tolerance) between the 3 major ethnic groups here. It is definitely there and a basic way in which this country operates (although if you're Chinese you have no clue and think that this is how life actually is).


I'd agree with the bold part. This happens frequently in lifts, coffee shops, shops, restaurants, MRT. It's useful to have someone with you who understands all the dialects - aka my GF - and who will take on the racism and snide comments and embarrass them by replying with something really sarcastic in the same dialect. The sniper then turns extremely sheepish......


So my GF's a sheep because because she won't stand for someone swearing at us in a different language?! Interesting point of view.

The fact you don't know what is being said about you but believe you can 'read' the situation and give a stare to acknowledge - simply shows you are paranoid.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 31 Oct 2011 8:01 pm

Brah wrote:Hmmm....that would be a paranoid, to use your word, misinterpretation of what I wrote, which was somewhat awkwardly worded.

The people talking about others to their faces in different languages are the sheep, as in cowards, not the follow-the-heard variety.

Re the reading, perhaps it just works better for me than it does for you. I've had a lot of practice here and in Japan.

BillyB wrote:
Brah wrote:Anyone who does that is already sheep. Many times I don't need to know the language to know when it's being done, looking them straight in the eye gives them away.

BillyB wrote:
carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Then I'm assuming under both Mandarin & Dialect, yeah?


SMS you make a very good point. I was chatting to a guy who lived here 8 years ago (he now studies overseas, but his parents are here). He picked up the local dialect in school and said you'd be amazed at what is said about you just walking down the street (in the local dialect) - its not pretty.

For those people who say that they've not experienced racism personally - that is completely possible for 2 reasons: a) racism very rarely manifests itself in a one-to-one interaction and b) the asian concept of "face" makes it even less likely that you'll be told to your face what your colleagues think.

I've seen the racism (disguised as cultural tolerance) between the 3 major ethnic groups here. It is definitely there and a basic way in which this country operates (although if you're Chinese you have no clue and think that this is how life actually is).


I'd agree with the bold part. This happens frequently in lifts, coffee shops, shops, restaurants, MRT. It's useful to have someone with you who understands all the dialects - aka my GF - and who will take on the racism and snide comments and embarrass them by replying with something really sarcastic in the same dialect. The sniper then turns extremely sheepish......


So my GF's a sheep because because she won't stand for someone swearing at us in a different language?! Interesting point of view.

The fact you don't know what is being said about you but believe you can 'read' the situation and give a stare to acknowledge - simply shows you are paranoid.


I think it was just badly written / misinterpreted, but I can see what you sort of meant so i'll meet you half way.

Although aren't 99% of sheep just followers anyway? Spineless / cowards is a better phrase!

franky-MS
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010

Postby franky-MS » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:05 am

The situation regarding racism is pretty clear also for foreigners in Singapore:
Just have a look where are the differences made, e.g.: where people with different skin colours are placed on the trucks, what are the instructions for "maid- owners" about, why you are queueing at the LTA in the foreigner line, etc.
My best statements on bad feelings regarding racism over here are :
"Oh, excuse me, i thought you are a maid" or :
" So sorry, lah, i expected you to be the driver".
One thing which is more important here than the "face" is probably the prestige- So take it :-)
When observing the city throughout the past one year, i guess without the heavy penalty threats and CCTV around, we would never be able to live so "peacefully" together.
So enjoy it!

Eibow
Regular
Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri, 05 Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco/Singapore

Postby Eibow » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 5:07 pm

What can anyone do about it? Just walk with your chin up, and if you notice it, just give them a big smile :D "Haters goona Hate."

Eibow
Regular
Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri, 05 Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco/Singapore

Postby Eibow » Tue, 01 Nov 2011 5:37 pm

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Interesting, local perspective on the matter...

Barri
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun, 29 May 2011

Postby Barri » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 9:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Barri,

You conveniently forget about the blatant racism used by HDB to do the Gahmen's bidding in order to separate the minorities so that the only enclave allowed is Chinese. Oh, and don't give me the old song & dance about the '60's race riots, but riots, maria hertzog, yadda, yadda, yadda. The rest of the world is past that. But still your leader seem to think you are are STILL NOT EDUCATED, so they keep in place antiquated laws to prevent families of minorities to be able to stay together.

Image


Your Leader? Oh how nice! You see me as Singaporean already :D
No I didn't say there was no discrimination I just said it wasn't worser then in other countries.
I am sorry to hear that about your daughter, it must be hard to be confronted with that kind of expulsion of rubbish on your daughter on a daily basis.
Fighting stupidity is no use, pity the stupid, that confuses them way more and saves you all a lot of heartache. Anger only hurts you all more.

Please ask your daughter not to accept that gutter of other people, their opinions are beneath her and her parents. Her own reality should not be formed by their hateful reality.

Best wishes,

Barri

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:00 pm

Barri wrote:No I didn't say there was no discrimination I just said it wasn't worser then in other countries.


I think it is. I have never lived anywhere where the overt and also the behind-your-back racism is so clearly manifested.

For a starter, how many other countries have immigration policies designed to keep a fixed X% majority of the population from one race?

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:15 pm

JR8 wrote:
Barri wrote:No I didn't say there was no discrimination I just said it wasn't worser then in other countries.


I think it is. I have never lived anywhere where the overt and also the behind-your-back racism is so clearly manifested.

For a starter, how many other countries have immigration policies designed to keep a fixed X% majority of the population from one race?


Having only lived in two countries I can say with certainty that racism is much more overt here than in the other place. But f@#k 'em. Any time someone is obviously talking about me in another language I have to assume they're discussing my assets, so I give them a wink and a smile :-D :cool:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:49 am

i think it is worse over here because they discriminate even on other asians as well more so on third world countries. Discrimination based on GDP..and the worse part is they think it is okay to discriminate and just assume it is how it should be. what amazes me is that a country with such high system of education would produce people with these mentality.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 8:33 am

morenangpinay wrote:what amazes me is that a country with such high system of education would produce people with these mentality.


Someone told me that people here are not highly educated, but highly trained.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest