Singapore Expats Forum

Why all the 'hatred' towards us 'foreigners'?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Wed, 14 Dec 2011 3:44 pm

ankle wrote:sry, altho i have said that i will not post any further, but I thot I should thank ksl for the kind words and would like to contribute regarding the shark fins piece. :)

When the chinese invite guests for dinner, they'll have to bring out the best dish because it's considered rude not to do that and it is also to show off their wealth (yeah i know, "face" again... )

Therefore, likewise in wedding dinners. It's also mainly for the wife's parents to show off to the wedding guests that their daughter is marrying to someone who is decent enough to ensure their daughter's happiness (It's a chinese thing to relate happiness to wealth).

As for the varieties of food. In the older days, if you could afford chicken or duck, it's good enough. It's even better if you could add roasted pig into the menu. Likewise with fish and prawns. Not sure when does shark fins and abalone comes into the picture. Probaby because they're very expensive and only wealthy families could afford that many years back.

Also, if you're a vegetarian, you could checkout with the bride/bridegroom or whoever that invite you whether they cater for vegetarian and they could make special arrangement with the restaurant. My vegetarian friends never had any problem getting vegetarian meals in wedding dinners.

Lastly, if gov were to impose a rule to ban sharkfins, I could imagine the number outroars it is going to cause. Oppies could use this to fume ppl's emotion towards pap. So I don't think banning of sharkfins is going to happen anytime soon. Anyway, more younger generations are aware that sharks are endangered species and some of the recent weddings I've attended have actually replaced sharkfins with mock sharkfins. But it could be also because sharkfins are getting more and more expensive. :wink:

Okay, that's all for now. Think this will truely be my last post here. Thank you everybody for the comments so far. Altho we kept to ourself alot, actually, most of us doesn't hate you. Just extend your friendship hand out first and we'll warm up to you. Peace out... :)

Peace out Lah! :P
nutnut

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:51 am

JR8 wrote:
ksl wrote:verbal diarrhea!

Been hitting the Ol' Exterminator again KSL? :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: SMS isn't taking the bait! Actually I'm really thinking of the exterminator I've been sleeping not so good since i purchased this iMac bloody thing is limited and takes ages to get used to.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:56 am

ksl wrote:
JR8 wrote:
ksl wrote:verbal diarrhea!

Been hitting the Ol' Exterminator again KSL? :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: SMS isn't taking the bait!

Too busy offering it to others! :)

Actually I'm really thinking of the exterminator I've been sleeping not so good since i purchased this iMac bloody thing is limited and takes ages to get used to.

My wife got one 2 weeks ago too, and it hasn't been given much attention for a 'latest best new toy', which is a bit unexpected. Won't use it myself as I can't abide all the social baggage that comes with it...

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:58 am

ankle wrote:
When the chinese invite guests for dinner, they'll have to bring out the best dish because it's considered rude not to do that and it is also to show off their wealth (yeah i know, "face" again... )

I am constantly amazed at how much my mom would spend to get a better grade of canned abalone, sea cucumber, bird's nest, dried scallops and serve it to us, within the family. We are by no means wealthy and food is an important part of her life so she does not mind blowing a big part of family budget on it. I grew up learning to appreciate all the different types of texture. A plain slab of steak does not always satisfy and when I order vietnamese pho, I also like to get the tendons to go with the thinly-sliced steak.

I was surprised when an oversea singaporean friend commented how she missed her hometown food and among them shark's fin soup on facebook. For me, it is cruel what they do to the shark to harvest the fin. I have wanted to become a vegetarian as I don't like the killing of life but to no avail. I never liked the texture of vegetables, all my life. I try to tolerate it. But then she is also one of the sweetest soul I ever encountered. You can be argumentative and confrontational with her but she will never return in kind. Always sweet-natured and never the need to bark back or retaliate.