Singapore Expats

% salary saved

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 3:57 am

revhappy wrote:While I was at home in Bangalore I could save 90%. My parents were taking care of everything all I had to worry about was filling gas in my car and eating out. :lol:

Now in Singapore its been about 66% on average. But thats because I have no fixed assets/home loans. My entire portfolio is liquid. People who say they save much lesser, probably have home loan installments which should be considered as savings.

I dont think saving as a %age of salary is relevant. Its the absolute figure that matters.
Revhappy !!

You are from Bangalore ?? I worked at BPL Group in Arekere Gate , Old Madras Road and Doodalapur in the late 80s and early 90s.
KP Nambiar was the chairman. Not sure if he still alive or not.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Snowfly
Regular
Regular

Post by Snowfly » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 4:33 am

38% with the condo installments, 71% without.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:30 am

69 ;)
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:36 am

Having had a health scare last year my motto is: Bugger it, live life as if its your last day on earth, so Zero savings! but boy what a laugh I am having and not just for me its nice to see friend having a good time as well.

I recently read a great quote, along the lines of, "People spend so much time reminiscing or regretting what they did in the past, then they spend even more time worrying about the future. It leave little time to live and enjoy the present."

Its called a Present for a reason!