Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
johnmapel123

Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Postby johnmapel123 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 2:45 am

Im 27 years old and I've lived in singapore for over 10 years. i make an above average salary and been a singapore PR for around 6 years. Im planning to take up Singapore citizenship shortly and i would like to clarify the following:

1. Will i still be asked to the compulsory military service like other Singapore citizens?
2. Im planning to marry my girlfriend who is from India. Id like to know if my kids can still hold Indian citizenship and on a dependent pass with me in Singapore? If thats the case, will they also be exempted from NS and military service?

Kindly advice.

Regards,
John.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 3:30 am

Why are you posting under two user names?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 4:19 am

johnmapel123 wrote:Im 27 years old and I've lived in singapore for over 10 years. i make an above average salary and been a singapore PR for around 6 years. Im planning to take up Singapore citizenship shortly and i would like to clarify the following:

1. Will i still be asked to the compulsory military service like other Singapore citizens?

You will not ve liable since you are under PTS scheme or first gen PR. Even if you become a SG Citizenship but your name will be in Mindef holdin list. To serve NS doubtful but holding strength in the general roll yes as all local will only be release from active duties at the age of 40 or unless otherwise stated of your release prior to 40 years old

2. Im planning to marry my girlfriend who is from India. Id like to know if my kids can still hold Indian citizenship and on a dependent pass with me in Singapore? If thats the case, will they also be exempted from NS and military service?

If you are a PR, yes your children can hold Indian Citizenship and your children will be under LTSVP pass not DP pass as you are a PR not EP holder. Your children will be liable if they take up PR under 2nd Gen PR liabilities. If you become a a SG Citizen, your children will be automatically a SGer if they are born in SG and liable for NS. If they are born overseas, they can hold Indian and SG citizenship till the age of 21 where they have to renounce either one
If you think you want to circumvent this law and waste your brain juice to that effect , go ahead. Many have tried and failed.
You know what I mean.

Kindly advice.

Regards,
John.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

johnmapel123

RE: Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Postby johnmapel123 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 6:17 pm

Thank you for the quick revert. I have some further doubts. Please help.

You will not ve liable since you are under PTS scheme or first gen PR. Even if you become a SG Citizenship but your name will be in Mindef holdin list. To serve NS doubtful but holding strength in the general roll yes as all local will only be release from active duties at the age of 40 or unless otherwise stated of your release prior to 40 years old

This is good. But how about the compulsory army service that the citizens are asked to serve for almost a month in a year? Will i be called up for that as well?

If you are a PR, yes your children can hold Indian Citizenship and your children will be under LTSVP pass not DP pass as you are a PR not EP holder. Your children will be liable if they take up PR under 2nd Gen PR liabilities. If you become a a SG Citizen, your children will be automatically a SGer if they are born in SG and liable for NS. If they are born overseas, they can hold Indian and SG citizenship till the age of 21 where they have to renounce either one
If you think you want to circumvent this law and waste your brain juice to that effect , go ahead. Many have tried and failed.
You know what I mean.

Say if my kids are born outside in India, and they hold both citizenships till 21 and later they decide to take up Indian citizenship only, will they still be asked to do NS and a few days with the army every year? Or does this depend on how any years they live in Singapore?

Kindly advice.

Regards,
John.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 6:24 pm

I used to think SGns were kiasu. Then I realised that Indians can hardly get out of bed without having planned how to get one over on someone else.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 26 Oct 2011 8:20 pm

JR8 wrote:I used to think SGns were kiasu. Then I realised that Indians can hardly get out of bed without having planned how to get one over on someone else.

no game there .. and you are 100% true .. I know guys who applied for PR here, Canada, and Australia, and if Antartica had a PR system they would have submitted for that as well

Now to mr john (if that is your real name .. ):

If you don't do NS, what will you do during the recall ? The initial NS is to train you for a specific job/purpose/area .. minus that, what joy will the annual recall do ?

And for the second question of yours, do I need to answer that too ?

And have you even started making the baby ? You are thinking of something 20 years away, by when, maybe this world will cease to exist, or the world citizens will all clamour to head to india, the land of dreams, or there will be weekly flights to mars ..

You don't do justice to your brethren with your extemely kiasu questions, says my 2 cents .. apologies in advance

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: RE: Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 3:17 am

johnmapel123 wrote:This is good. But how about the compulsory army service that the citizens are asked to serve for almost a month in a year? Will i be called up for that as well?

If you do not do the compulsory 21 months NS, then you do not need to serve the reservist till 40 which is about 40 days a year. 7 high key and 6 low key for the next 13 years till you reach 40.
You do not serve compulsory NS if you are downgraded to Pes D or E or totally not call for NS which means you being release way before you put on the green fatigue.
Either you are handicap or having some disabilities, one organ missing, gone to become a priest, a monk, a religious cleric, sexual orientation ops, self declared gay, or mentally retarded. Apart from these group , all local serves NS

Say if my kids are born outside in India, and they hold both citizenships till 21 and later they decide to take up Indian citizenship only, will they still be asked to do NS and a few days with the army every year? Or does this depend on how any years they live in Singapore?

Not that easy. First you have to get married, Then procreate and if your gun do shoot straight snd fast enough since the male sperm life span is only 24 hours whereby a female sperm cal last up to five days and they can swim too !! :lol: Sperm can live for only a few hours inside the vagina, and even less than that outside the human body, exposed to the open air. If the sperm survive to enter the less hostile environment of the female reproductive tract beyond the cervix, they can survive for up to five days. The egg, however, has a life-span of only about a single day from the time it leaves the ovary.
In short, fertilization can occur whenever a live sperm meets up with a live egg, which can happen even if the sperm are deposited up to five days in advance of ovulation. cool:'
If you can get this right , ONLY then read Kraikk sticky

Kindly advice.

Regards,
John.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 6:57 am

:lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Singapore Citizenship Army Service

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 27 Oct 2011 9:43 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Not that easy. First you have to get married, Then procreate and if your gun do shoot straight snd fast enough since the male sperm life span is only 24 hours whereby a female sperm cal last up to five days and they can swim too !! :lol: Sperm can live for only a few hours inside the vagina, and even less than that outside the human body, exposed to the open air. If the sperm survive to enter the less hostile environment of the female reproductive tract beyond the cervix, they can survive for up to five days. The egg, however, has a life-span of only about a single day from the time it leaves the ovary.
In short, fertilization can occur whenever a live sperm meets up with a live egg, which can happen even if the sperm are deposited up to five days in advance of ovulation. cool:'
If you can get this right , ONLY then read Kraikk sticky

But still is not wrong to plan ahead right ?? :D :D

Welcome to the Sub-continent, a land of 'options' :D

My better half was laughing when she read your writing .. and it brightened up my day ..

foreig

Postby foreig » Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:18 pm

Hi John

Mad Scientist is right.

Your children can hold on to Indian passport.

In fact, you are encourage to do so as even some Singapore Ministers themselves are also doing that. (their children are either holding UK or US passport)

Yes, even minister also detest NS.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 1:36 am

foreig wrote:Hi John

Mad Scientist is right.

Your children can hold on to Indian passport.

In fact, you are encourage to do so as even some Singapore Ministers themselves are also doing that. (their children are either holding UK or US passport)

We would like to know who these ministers are... How is it there in the Czech Republic, by the way?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 6:55 am

There is one minister whose Children are dual citizens (US & Singpaore). His wife is a US Citizen. I'll find the name after I go to work.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 7:49 am

foreig wrote:In fact, you are encourage to do so as even some Singapore Ministers themselves are also doing that. (their children are either holding UK or US passport)

:shock: :shock: :shock: =; =; [-X [-X [-X

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There is one minister whose Children are dual citizens (US & Singpaore). His wife is a US Citizen. I'll find the name after I go to work.

Minister-in-charge for Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim is the one.

Children have dual citizenship (US & Singapore) until the age of 18 because of the status of his wife as an American citizen.

This pcs of information was leak from WikiLeaks cable.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:55 pm

therat, I knew it was one of the Muslim ministers but could remember which one. Thanks for that! :wink:

However, it was know before wikileaks. Just not talked about.